Petition To Bring Federal Charges Against NOLA Mayor Mitch Landreau

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    96   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    It's very sad, I got 3 young boys, 9,6,3 yrs, and they are constantly tearing our history out of there books, school, public ect. We have went to Vicksburg several times, very very informative by many African American men that work there that tell the real reason for the war, and the amount of African Americans in the south that had slaves also. It never was about slavery, it was about the union trying to cram there lifestyles and rules down us sothern folks...thank GOD my wife is able to home school my children and we can control the amount of propaganda they are trying cramming down our poor kids head... Heck I'm young 34, and the amount of history that they have taken outta the books and class from when I was in school is outrages, they are re writing history... We need to do something about it. Our children deserve it...

Firearmfanatic

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 25, 2016
    Acadia Parish
    It's very sad, I got 3 young boys, 9,6,3 yrs, and they are constantly tearing our history out of there books, school, public ect. We have went to Vicksburg several times, very very informative by many African American men that work there that tell the real reason for the war, and the amount of African Americans in the south that had slaves also. It never was about slavery, it was about the union trying to cram there lifestyles and rules down us sothern folks...thank GOD my wife is able to home school my children and we can control the amount of propaganda they are trying cramming down our poor kids head... Heck I'm young 34, and the amount of history that they have taken outta the books and class from when I was in school is outrages, they are re writing history... We need to do something about it. Our children deserve it...

Very true and I definitely agree! I have a nephew who is a middle school history teacher, and he gets very frustrated by what the school dictates to him on what he is allowed and not allowed to teach history related. He is upset that todays school children are not being allowed to be taught and learn "all of the history" that they should be. My nephew is only 28yrs old but has a pretty good grasp on the history that is being lost by not being taught and shared.

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    It never was about slavery, it was about the union trying to cram there lifestyles and rules down us sothern folks...thank GOD my wife is able to home school my children and we can control the amount of propaganda they are trying cramming down our poor kids head...

Out of curiosity, what source material are you using to educate your kids about American history?

My university major was history (American history specifically, with a concentration on reconstruction era race relations). I find this notion that the Civil War wasn't about slavery to be disingenuous at best. Yes, there were other factors at play (as there are in any civil war), but slavery was indeed the overarching issue. One need only glance through newspapers, letters, journals, and a myriad of other primary sources from the antebellum era to see that the crux of the debate was slavery (and the spread of slavery as the Union expanded).

Perhaps the most misunderstood part of the Civil War and its many causes was the infighting within the states themselves. But I don't hear a peep about that in the debates about the statues in NOLA.

An excellent look at the causes of the Civil War is William Freehling's two volume set "The Road to Disunion." Not only is he a phenomenal writer (and apparently an excellent teacher; my department head studied under him and said that he was an extraordinary teacher), but he dissects the half-century leading up to the Civil War with remarkable clarity and readability. It's hardly the last word on the topic, but it's an excellent discourse to introduce the enormous social, economic and political complexities of Thomas Jefferson's America, and how these culminated in disunion.

You mentioned African Americans owning slaves. Yes, there were free blacks that owned slaves, but one has to ask the obvious question about how free black slave ownership was different than white slave ownership. That, in itself, is an enormously complex topic that modern historians have only begun to really dig into (John Hope Franklin and Peter Wood—both from Duke University—are probably the leading scholars here), but to suggest that free black ownership of slavery (which was extremely rare) was the same as Caucasians owning slaves is overly simplistic and misleading. Case-in-point: Thomas Day (a free black antebellum cabinetmaker in North Carolina) owned slaves, but the current research suggests that he was a very active abolitionist, and that his slave "ownership" was actually part of an extensive pipeline to freedom. There's a ton of research yet to be done on this (and I suspect some excellent PhD dissertations to be written), but it suggests that our understand of this is, at best, very cursory.

(And before you accuse me of being a bloviated liberal, I'd add in that I studied at a Southern university and mostly under professors that were themselves Southern; many of whom were pretty right wing. I find this topic intensely interesting, and I approach *all* sources with a healthy dose of skepticism. I also have ancestors that fought on both sides of the Civil War, and I respect all of them for acting according to their convictions. Etcetera.)

Mike

Firearmfanatic

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 25, 2016
    Acadia Parish
    Out of curiosity, what source material are you using to educate your kids about American history?

My university major was history (American history specifically, with a concentration on reconstruction era race relations). I find this notion that the Civil War wasn't about slavery to be disingenuous at best. Yes, there were other factors at play (as there are in any civil war), but slavery was indeed the overarching issue. One need only glance through newspapers, letters, journals, and a myriad of other primary sources from the antebellum era to see that the crux of the debate was slavery (and the spread of slavery as the Union expanded).

Perhaps the most misunderstood part of the Civil War and its many causes was the infighting within the states themselves. But I don't hear a peep about that in the debates about the statues in NOLA.

An excellent look at the causes of the Civil War is William Freehling's two volume set "The Road to Disunion." Not only is he a phenomenal writer (and apparently an excellent teacher; my department head studied under him and said that he was an extraordinary teacher), but he dissects the half-century leading up to the Civil War with remarkable clarity and readability. It's hardly the last word on the topic, but it's an excellent discourse to introduce the enormous social, economic and political complexities of Thomas Jefferson's America, and how these culminated in disunion.

You mentioned African Americans owning slaves. Yes, there were free blacks that owned slaves, but one has to ask the obvious question about how free black slave ownership was different than white slave ownership. That, in itself, is an enormously complex topic that modern historians have only begun to really dig into (John Hope Franklin and Peter Wood—both from Duke University—are probably the leading scholars here), but to suggest that free black ownership of slavery (which was extremely rare) was the same as Caucasians owning slaves is overly simplistic and misleading. Case-in-point: Thomas Day (a free black antebellum cabinetmaker in North Carolina) owned slaves, but the current research suggests that he was a very active abolitionist, and that his slave "ownership" was actually part of an extensive pipeline to freedom. There's a ton of research yet to be done on this (and I suspect some excellent PhD dissertations to be written), but it suggests that our understand of this is, at best, very cursory.

(And before you accuse me of being a bloviated liberal, I'd add in that I studied at a Southern university and mostly under professors that were themselves Southern; many of whom were pretty right wing. I find this topic intensely interesting, and I approach *all* sources with a healthy dose of skepticism. I also have ancestors that fought on both sides of the Civil War, and I respect all of them for acting according to their convictions. Etcetera.)

Mike

No offense or anything but, all of what you have presented is all just opinions from so called schollars. And you do know what they say about opinions dont you? Everyone has one just like a bung hole, and the majority of them smell the same! Because the ones giving their opinon does not make them experts just because they are so called schollars, it does not make their opinions correct or right!

Last edited:

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    It is my opinion that the Mayor is trying to leave this! And worthless gun control laws {new laws that make not once of difference} as his legacy.
    Fact is the city will never be like i remember it as a kid walking down the streets with Mom and Dad looking at the sites. Sad others will not get a chance to have the same a great day with with there's. There is less and less of the safe and historic spots to visit everyday.
    Used to be you could take a trip in the morning/day to the French Quarter. Nothing now but Strip Clubs, Bars, and T shirt shops, Beggars and Hoes
    Working down there is the pits! We did some work at Pat O's and some building they had down the street. Parking Nazi's would tag ya, unloading in a loading zone while doing so.
    Hoes out the Ya Ya! Begging yes lots of it and if ya say no curse at ya. My dad gave some kid some $ since he said ya have any change sir? So dad gave him some. He looked at it tossed it at the poor old guy and yell rude nasty stuff at him. Chump change/toss/run! Man Gotta give it to him, he knew words i never heard before. And never seen anyone run like that. That kid should have been in the Olympics not begging
    And what looks like a regular neighborhood? Forget it they wait till ya turn your back and steal from ya. It is like a ghost took it.

DaSouthernYankee

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2016
    Slidell, LA
    That's what happens when you don't work for what you have. Cry till you get what you want and if that doesn't work just take it, everyone else be damned. I see it all the time. Heck, on my first day working at an old restaurant supply company in the French quarter a few years ago some stinking bum walks right up to me and takes my pack of cigarettes sitting right next to me! Unfortunately for him everything that was in it fell on the sidewalk as soon as he turned to run, he never noticed. But that is what Mitch is doing, seeing something he want, taking it and running.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

usmc-nav

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    You sir are more educated than I am but though I am sure that slavery was a part of secession was not states rights also part of it. My ancestors did not own slaves, just simple folk in Mississippi. If you are fighting to maintain slavery, yet have no slaves, what would make you leave your wife, kids, and family behind?

Top Bottom