Policy and Procedure for firearms

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rebelray84

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 7, 2010
    Amite,LA
    Civilans would be shocked if the knew just how poorly most police officers shoot.If you can't score at least a 96 on the POST course then you absolutely should not be carrying a gun on or off duty!

Summit_Ace

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2009
    I know, I know I am going to be called a cop basher again, but so be it. I wish departments had the same qualifications for knowing the law as they do for firearms.

Summit_Ace

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2009
    Just keepin git real.:D I will be the first to say that most LEO officer perform exceptionally well IN SPITE OF the poor allowances of time and money many departments devote to training.

Not to poke the bear, but I wonder if we would have the same outlook on doctors from poorly funded hospitals, or med schools.

Sorry we botched your wifes heart surgery. The doctor did the best he could with the funding his school had.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Not to poke the bear, but I wonder if we would have the same outlook on doctors from poorly funded hospitals, or med schools.

Sorry we botched your wifes heart surgery. The doctor did the best he could with the funding his school had.

i agree. Imagine if each professional athlete donated 1milion dollars to their hometown LEA. One million out of the countless millions they will make in a lifetime.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008

We would not tolerate it. The administrators of those schools and hospitals would be replaced and their training programs would be forced to change. Unfortunately in Law Enforcement the oversight is entrusted to the same people who broke the system and benefit from it being broken. Imagine if every Sheriff/Police Chief/DA spent HALF the money they spent on Command Centers/Boats/Armored Cars and other DooDads on training and increasing salaries. Half. It's hard to attract higher caliber employees and raise standards when you pay chicken feed and you training budget supports the bare minimum.

I've been a cop for awhile now and its only gotten worse. Part of the problem in my opinion is that Law Enforcement is entrusted to folks on the local level. I would rather see 50 robust State Police Agencies with a Federally mandated level of training then 50,000 local agencies with wildly varied levels of training, capability, individual proficiency

Bayoupiper

New Curmudgeon
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Iowa, LA

What do you call the person who finished dead last in medical school?

Doctor.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    So in a nutshell, agencies have lowered standards so that they can be more "inclusive"?

If this is the case, is it partly because it allows agencies access to certain funding they wouldn't be eligable for otherwise? :confused:

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    Not trying to disclose any "secret" info here but I spoke with a good source this past week and he told me there is a meeting this week at LSP in Baton Rouge and they will be discussing not only making improovements to the requirements for the Conceal Carry Course and Test but also make changes to the POST Course since most of this was based back in the stone age when people used to carry a revolver as a primary weapon thats is why if you look at the stages of fire everything is based on 6 rounds which is totally stupid IMO.

At the same time I believe scoring a 96 is too low for any officer who will carry a gun on their hip its should be 105 as a minimum, and if they cant pass the course after 2 times then they definetly are in the wrong profession.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Not trying to disclose any "secret" info here but I spoke with a good source this past week and he told me there is a meeting this week at LSP in Baton Rouge and they will be discussing not only making improovements to the requirements for the Conceal Carry Course and Test but also make changes to the POST Course since most of this was based back in the stone age when people used to carry a revolver as a primary weapon thats is why if you look at the stages of fire everything is based on 6 rounds which is totally stupid IMO.

At the same time I believe scoring a 96 is too low for any officer who will carry a gun on their hip its should be 105 as a minimum, and if they cant pass the course after 2 times then they definetly are in the wrong profession.

The POST course was updated (made easier) 01/01/2009 after several years of discussion.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA

The meeting is for CHP only. It is an instructor conference to go over recent changes.

CHP has nothing to do with POST...two different entities.

Top Bottom