possession of firearm by convicted felon RS 14:95:1 ruled unconstitutional

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    @DS727 - Your story is carefully worded to make it sound great, but the inevitable "unintended consequences" is the problem. Your story would equally apply to a reformed felon who wants to turn over a new leaf and raise his children responsibly, including taking them hunting and teaching them safe, responsible, ethical behavior.

So don't cite "the worst case" and claim it as giving cops a tool to keep bad guys behind bars, when you know damned well it'll equally be applied to good guys.

I refuse to support a bunch of laws that are over-reaching because it's too hard to prove people guilty of the existing laws. I refuse to support laws that make people rely on the "good judgment and mercy" of the police officer or judge, as to whether they want to follow the letter of the law or use "common sense" - because no government in my short lifetime has shown me they are capable of common sense and decency at that level.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    No Jack...according to me...Corrupt NOPD cops...brothers David and Ronald Singleton... falsified reports to the DA. I was charged with felony possession when in fact the police only found paraphernalia in my house after I had an intruder in my house.

Since you are such an obsessive little man who can't let go of this issue Jack....At least get the story correct.

But then again...why should I expect you to get it correct. Your behavior only exemplifies how petty of a person you are. Get a life Jack and move on. I've moved on with my life.

I'm not disputing any of that. He didn't know felons were able to regain their rights, I told him they were able to and listed you as an example of someone who has done so. What was incorrect about what I said? You plead to dope charges(you've said this on here) and you are now able to possess firearms legally. The problem isn't what I wrote it is what your hypersensitivity decided to take from it.

“He who takes offense when no offense is intended is a fool, and he who takes offense when offense is intended is a greater fool.” -- Brigham Young

aleks61

Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    I'm not disputing any of that. He didn't know felons were able to regain their rights, I told him they were able to and listed you as an example of someone who has done so. What was incorrect about what I said? You plead to dope charges(you've said this on here) and you are now able to possess firearms legally. The problem isn't what I wrote it is what your hypersensitivity decided to take from it.

*He who takes offense when no offense is intended is a fool, and he who takes offense when offense is intended is a greater fool.* -- Brigham Young

http://youtu.be/5hfYJsQAhl0

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Denham Springs (BR,Hammond area)

*He who takes offense when no offense is intended is a fool, and he who takes offense when offense is intended is a greater fool.* -- Brigham Young

I would be a bit sensitive if you were using my personal stories that I was perhaps not proud of and attaching my name to it for everyone to hear like it was todays weather. even if he told the story on this forum, that dosen't mean you need to call attention to it on another thread. If he wished to relate his personal experiance on the matter, I'm sure he would have on his own accord.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    I would be a bit sensitive if you were using my personal stories that I was perhaps not proud of and attaching my name to it for everyone to hear like it was todays weather. even if he told the story on this forum, that dosen't mean you need to call attention to it on another thread. If he wished to relate his personal experiance on the matter, I'm sure he would have on his own accord.

If that is the case I don't see why he would've posted it here or quoted me and kept it up longer vs. messaging me asking to take it down, which I will gladly do of he asks.

Quite frankly I think he should be proud of it as it shows how far he has come. He overcame his issues and habits, and has managed to get his life back together, regain his rights, and become a productive member of society.

Last edited:

DS727

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Denham Springs
    @DS727 - Your story is carefully worded to make it sound great, but the inevitable "unintended consequences" is the problem. Your story would equally apply to a reformed felon who wants to turn over a new leaf and raise his children responsibly, including taking them hunting and teaching them safe, responsible, ethical behavior.

So don't cite "the worst case" and claim it as giving cops a tool to keep bad guys behind bars, when you know damned well it'll equally be applied to good guys.

I refuse to support a bunch of laws that are over-reaching because it's too hard to prove people guilty of the existing laws. I refuse to support laws that make people rely on the "good judgment and mercy" of the police officer or judge, as to whether they want to follow the letter of the law or use "common sense" - because no government in my short lifetime has shown me they are capable of common sense and decency at that level.

Like I said, "reformed" felons can have their rights restored via the Governor. How many "reformed" felons do you think there are that this would apply to a year? 10? 500?
    Meanwhile, many "unreformed" bad guys are back behind bars for crimes they committed, but otherwise would have gotten away with because of this law.

Under most circumstances, I am fervently against ANY law that restricts the right of firearms ownership/possession. But in this situation, I'll take the many vs. the few.

You do something that causes you to become a felon, these are the consequences. If it takes going to prison to make someone want "to turn over a new leaf and raise their children responsibly", that's great, but they won't be taking them hunting, another family member who didn't make shitty choices will.

And I actually didn't carefully word anything in my post. This is exactly how it happens, only the names were changed to protect the not so innocent.

Here's another news flash for the uninformed, 95% of the cops nationwide are on the side of the people. Seriously, they don't want laws that punish law abiding people. But they do want laws with teeth that help them keep the scumbags off our streets. The problem is not the police, its the legal system.

Last edited:

aleks61

Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    If that is the case I don't see why he would've posted it here or quoted me and kept it up longer vs. messaging me asking to take it down, which I will gladly do of he asks.

Quite frankly I think he should be proud of it as it shows how far he has come. He overcame his issues and habits, and has managed to get his life back together, regain his rights, and become a productive member of society.

You make the man sound like a reformed criminal. Not to argue the specifics of his case, but it is his business. You're getting a little, "too big for your britches", both figuratively and physically from what most members have told me.

Last edited:

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    You make the man sound like a reformed criminal. Not to argue the specifics of his case, but it is his business. You're getting a little, "too big for your britches", both figuratively and physically from what most members have told me.
    oh_snap+vw.gif

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington

You and other members have been talking about me together? That is flattering. Of course I am making it sound like he is a reformed criminal. The man admitted to committing crime and has turned his life around. I was under the impression that was a textbook example of a reformed criminal. Between this and the gunbroker auction I'm beginning to notice a pattern. I would suggest reading things again before posting, unless you have a certain affinity for appearing foolish.

Last edited:

aleks61

Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    I don't want to take over this thread. I have no intention of getting into a chat fight with you over the internet. I will pm you my cell, please contact me if you would like to discuss this matter any further.

03protege

#1 Stevel Spell II fan
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Mandeville
    If they are a threat.... don't let them out of jail.

That is exactly my opinion, any free person should be able to own a gun and if it is deemed unsafe for them to do so they shouldn't be free. I bet that would cut down those repeat armed robbery offenders.

louis488

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 20, 2010
    New Orleans
    I don't understand what there is to complain about. Non violent felons already had their rights restored, now violent felons do too.

It's what the people wanted, right?
    This is just my opinion on the matter. You're a danger to society or you're not. If you're not a danger than all your rights should be restored if not then why were you let out.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Donut Man
    Top Bottom