Possibly moving to Atlanta. Need feedback.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CrkdLtr

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    There are still a lot of things that could go amiss here but if everything plays out as I expect it to then it looks as though I will be taking a new position that will relocate me to Atlanta, GA. Specifically a couple miles south of Dunwoody. This new position comes with a nice increase in pay which makes the decision to relocate much easier.

The feedback I'm looking for is if anyone is from, has lived, or has family that lives anywhere in the north/northeast/northwest area of Atlanta (Marietta, Roswell, Duluth) that could make a suggestion for the Mrs. and I to start looking for homes.

We've been looking at real estate online but until we get there to look for ourselves it's pointless. We already know to stay away from Atlanta itself and there's a zip code in Marietta, 30008, that the statistics remind me of North Baton Rouge.

Feedback and Suggestions welcomed.

Blackhawk

Blackhawk
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    Pollock LA
    Sending you a PM. My brother in Duluth has been in new home sales in the northern Atlanta area for 20+ years. He can point you in the right direction.

6cyclone6

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    BATON ROUGE
    Roswell, Alpharetta, Chambly/Donwoody areas are all nice. I loved Atlanta, and in most area I felt safer ( could have just been a feeling) than Baton Rouge or New Orleans. If the right opportunity presented itself I would not hesitate to move back.

Tx_oil

Tx_oil
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Youngsville
    My brother and his family live in Kennesaw. They love it. In fact, Kennesaw has a city ordinance that REQUIRES all residences in the city to own a firearm for self defense. Take a guess at the violent crime rates in Kennesaw??

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    I'd rent for a little bit in order to find out where exactly I'd want to live. Once you buy a house, you are stuck with it until you can sell it.

CUJOHUNTER

EARPLUGS??
    Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New Orleans
    Marrieta County is nice and not far from Atlanta. Safe and family oriented. It's right next to Cobb County but a world apart. Powder Springs is also a wonderful community and only 30 min from downtown ATL. I believe there is a company in Powder Springs that produces Mac 10 and Uzi clones.

Google is your friend. Check out Powder Springs, Ga.

Last edited:

dixiejarhead

Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    NOLA/Northshore!
    The NE/NW and SE sides of ATL is jammed packed with people. I moved here from the SW side. Of course I worked at the airport. Remember this: Georgia has TONS of taxes. Property tax, Income tax, Ad valorem tax on every registered (tagged) vehicle, and sales tax. Home prices can be higher or lower depending on where you look. Kennesaw has a lot of bleed over crime. Cobb county in fact is not that great. We were about to look at Cherokee county because it is decent on all accounts, including schools. PM me for more.

Bam Bam

Certified gun nut!
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Denham Springs/Watson, La
    I lived in Cherokee county for 13 years, 1994-2007 and loved it! I actually lived in Canton, but was right outside a little town called Holly Springs. Canton is about Denham Springs size and has a great car show there in the warm months at the Riverside shopping center. Plenty to do and places to eat. Taxes in Cherokee aren't too bad, sales tax was 6% when I left. My house I built in 2000 sold for 50K more than what I paid for it when I left in 07 and the area WAS booming, but the crappy economy hurt the area pretty bad but my friends say it's doing better now. I worked in the Sandy Springs/Dunwoody area when I was there, nice neighbor but pricey! Stay away from the Metro counties if possible (North Fulton/Dekalb) Cherokee county schools are great and so are Gwinnet's but Gwinnet is so packed and full of immigrants you may want to stay away from there. I would move back to Ga in a heartbeat and leave this ******** state without hesitation, but thats just me. Just my .02 cents. PM me if you would like to talk to me on the phone for more details.

Bam Bam

Last edited:

dixiejarhead

Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    NOLA/Northshore!
    I lived in Cherokee county for 13 years, 1994-2007 and loved it! I actually lived in Canton, but was right outside a little town called Holly Springs. Canton is about Denham Springs size and has a great car show there in the warm months at the Riverside shopping center. Plenty to do and places to eat. Taxes in Cherokee aren't too bad, sales tax was 6% when I left. My house I built in 2000 sold for 50K more than what I paid for it when I left in 07 and the area WAS booming, but the crappy economy hurt the area pretty bad but my friends say it's doing better now. I worked in the Sandy Springs/Dunwoody area when I was there, nice neighbor but pricey! Stay away from the Metro counties if possible (North Fulton/Dekalb) Cherokee county schools are great and so are Gwinnet's but Gwinnet is so packed and full of immigrants you may want to stay away from there. I would move back to Ga in a heartbeat and leave this ******** state without hesitation, but thats just me. Just my .02 cents. PM me if you would like to talk to me on the phone for more details.

Bam Bam

Bam bam you could always buy my place down in Meriweather County and hunt record bucks! ;) I don't dislike Georgia, overall is was ok, but for me my heart always has been in Louisiana!

With that being said, I do like the SW side of ATL MUCH BETTER than the northside. Pros and cons to it all. Taxes vary from county to county in GA. Also you have to pass Emissions tests in the metro area (ATL and surrounding counties) but it's not hard or expensive.

Biggest thing I did not like was the lack of culture and the food. Food there sucked. Sorry, no other way to put it. Very very few places were ok at best. Service oriented? Nope. Tons of young fat girls with UGA shirts on? Yep, all over the place...lol.

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    i was assigned tdy to a recruiting office in atlanta for 30 days.

the drivers are even worse than around here, and traffic blows worse than i5 south at 5pm.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    Lots of clubs, lots of crime, my friend was shot in the head there a couple weeks ago, so my opinion is pretty low right now. It's actually worse there than Shreveport, "by the numbers", and based on what people who live there tell me, at least, those who aren't just interested in slutting it up in a club.

http://grantpark.11alive.com/news/crime/275812-man-charged-shooting-girlfriend-head

Now why my friend...
    380762_569071695371_462812020_n.jpg

...was with that piece of ****?

I also suspect something in the water, in Atlanta...

http://www.city-data.com/city/Atlanta-Georgia.html
    http://www.city-data.com/city/Shreveport-Louisiana.html

personally, I'd rather live in Shreveport. That's damn sobering...

Last edited:

dixiejarhead

Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    NOLA/Northshore!
    Forgot to add that electricity rates are MUCH higher in georgia as well. I am in a home twice as large and NOLA is hotter than ATL and my electrical bill is still on average 50-100 less than it was in a 1500 sf home with Georgia power. My home in Savannah was 1400sf and same thing. One was new with efficient central air unit, the other window units. Did not matter at all bill in summer was always 350-400 per month. Insurance is cheaper in georgia.
    North ATL gets slammed by tornadoes though. Check the historical tracking charts - you'll see there are areas that ALWAYS get slammed by spring tornadoes. Coincidencal that most of the "affordable" housing is in those areas.

ALSO - IF THE HOUSE IS IN A BOTTOM NEAR A CREEK, ESPECIALLY ON THE WEST SIDE, MAKE SURE YOU ASK IF THE HOME FLOODED. ATL HAS MORE FLOODING AND FLOODED HOMES THAN MOST PEOPLE REALIZE.

Personally, I prefer the SW side of ATL. Commute is better from there to the city. Being that you'll work in Dunwoody, check out CUMMING and further north of there, the commute will be better, and the housing is adequate.

VeedUp

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Oct 15, 2007
    Destrehan, La.
    Lots of clubs, lots of crime, my friend was shot in the head there a couple weeks ago, so my opinion is pretty low right now. It's actually worse there than Shreveport, "by the numbers", and based on what people who live there tell me, at least, those who aren't just interested in slutting it up in a club.

http://grantpark.11alive.com/news/crime/275812-man-charged-shooting-girlfriend-head

Now why my friend...
    380762_569071695371_462812020_n.jpg

...was with that piece of ****?

I also suspect something in the water, in Atlanta...

http://www.city-data.com/city/Atlanta-Georgia.html
    http://www.city-data.com/city/Shreveport-Louisiana.html

personally, I'd rather live in Shreveport. That's damn sobering...

damn sorry to hear about your friend

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    damn sorry to hear about your friend

Thanks, it's a very sad story. I went to highschool with her brother and he was one of my best friends at that school. In 11th grade, he transferred to a different school. She was the oldest, he the middle child, and the family had a younger sister, as well. Anyway, long story short, about 4 years ago when I was finishing up in college, he had just graduated with his Masters in music education, I believe. During a move 2 weeks post graduation, he fell asleep, and his U-Haul left the road, and of all the things that could have happened, slammed into the back of a flatbed, crushing his side of the cab and killing him instantly. Sadly, I really had not kept up the best with him since I moved off to college and so had he, and I didn't know how to then re-connect with his family. Just...awkward. I graduated and I'm sorry your son is dead? I mean, I didn't know what to say or how to deal with it without feeling super awkward. Eventually, his sister friend-requested me on FB and I have kept up with her posts somewhat. My mom called me to tell me about it the day it happened.

For their oldest daughter to now be shot, I can only imagine how much grief the family is dealing with.

On the bright side of things, though, even though GSW's to the head at near point-blank range don't typically turn out well, she is recovering and speaking, and as far as I know, rehab is going well. I don't know what, if any permanent deficits she will have, but I'm very thankful and amazed that she's doing so well.

All said? I won't be moving to Atlanta. Their crime is through the roof. Sell all of your nice things, and carry everywhere you go, if you do.

Top Bottom