Power to a GMRS radio

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cajun Camper

Nov 9, 2012
    Lafayette, La.
    I wired my radio directly to the battery. All is well unless I turn the Jeep off before the radio. Everything electrical shuts down & won’t work until I remove the power wire from the positive post. Any ideas what is causing this? Thanks in advance. 2013 Wrangler JKU.

paddle007

Premium Member
    Apr 15, 2009
    Covington
    Just to clarify the positive feed for the radio is attached directly to the positive battery terminal? If so I have never seen this happen.
    This is a long shot but easy enough to try. Source the appropriate size diode and install in it the positive feed wire. The radio may have large capacitors in it which might feed back into the battery. With our computer laden vehicles strange things can happen.

sksshooter

Jul 28, 2008
    Walker, LA
    Maybe try moving it to the power lug on the distribution block where all your fuses are under the hood. There is likely protection to prevent damage to the computer when there are large swings in power. Also do you have a fuse inline with the power cable from the radio? If not id look into a good inline fuse holder to place as close to the power source as possible.

Top Bottom