Red Beans & Rice and Other Cast Iron Cooking

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • N4sir

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    This morning I took some red beans I cooked a couple of weeks ago out of the freezer for dinner this evening.
    I also seasoned some thin cut pork loin chops and put the in the fridge until I was ready to cook them.

The chops got breaded with a mix of Italian bread crumbs, a little flour and a little Zatarain's breading. Those got pan fried in cast iron.

YpNKJz.jpg

These came out really tender and delicious. My son thought they were veal.

While frying those I had a cornbread I made from scratch in the oven.

Cornbread right out of the oven.

7dFWqm.jpg

This cornbread came out amazing!

BWjC7F.jpg

Ready to eat!

tSDZ7K.jpg

FUy6AK.jpg

ZDC56W.jpg

gwpercle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    Baton Rouge, LA.
    You are such an Inspiration ...

We looked through the pantry and came up with a pack of those big white , Large Lima Beans and cooked em down with Pork Neck Bones , Andouille sausage and chunks of smoked Seasoning Ham ...
    You might say ... we like to flavor our pot of meat with beans ...
    So Good with cornbread ...

Thanks for posting !
    Gary

gwpercle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    Baton Rouge, LA.
    Is there a good how to video on cooking red beans?
    Just follow the directions printed on the back of the Camelia Red Bean Package ... Check the Camelia Red Bean site if you need a recipe / video ...
    My mom taught me before video's were around to teach people ... I taught my daughter and now there is You Tube ...
    Gary

hotbiggun

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 25, 2023
    Louisiana
    Just follow the directions printed on the back of the Camelia Red Bean Package ... Check the Camelia Red Bean site if you need a recipe / video ...
    My mom taught me before video's were around to teach people ... I taught my daughter and now there is You Tube ...
    Gary
    I can cook black eyed peas but i tried pintos and they were terrible. I love red beans and rice and need to try and make them. Thanks for the info!

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    I can cook black eyed peas but i tried pintos and they were terrible. I love red beans and rice and need to try and make them. Thanks for the info!
    I cook all my beans the same, basically.

Clean beans and put in a bowl of water to soak for at least an hour

Put 2 good hocks in stock pot with 1 onion quater'd, couple stalks of celery quarter'd, half bell pepper, add water to cover hocks. Lightly season if you want. Bring to boil and let boil on low for 1 hour. When done, remove the hocks to let cool. Once cool, strip meat from bone, tear into smaller pieces, cut hide into small chunks. Put to side.

In cast iron pot, cook bacon to crispy, take out and chop to bits.
    Now brown the sausage, thin cut, in the bacon grease, take out and put to side.
    Saute 1 large onion, 1 bell pepper, and 2 or 3 stalks of celery in the remaining bacon grease, deglaze the pot.
    Once veggies are tender, drain the water off the soaking beans, add to pot. Now add enough stock to fully cover beans. You can strain off the veggies in the stock if you want.

Add seasoning. I typically use Tony's, black pepper, white pepper, and a little cayenne. I do NOT add salt, the Tony's and the pork have plenty salt already.

Add chopped hock hides.

Cook on LOW for an hour or 2, until beans are tender, make sure to stir the pot every 10-15 minutes and make sure they are cooking on a LOW simmer, add stock as needed. Once beans are tender, add chopped bacon and all other meats. Cook for another 20-30 minutes, or however long you need to finish the beans.

You should taste test before adding any seasoning, as to not over season.

My favorite is black eyed peas, navy beans coming in 2nd. Don't really care for red beans but I'll eat them.

Top Bottom