Pulled something in my back

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    New Orleans, Lafayette, and SC
    So I pulled a muscle in my back last week, and it was slowly getting better until today. Some people were coming over to my house earlier and when they got here, 2 of my dogs were going nuts and I kinda bent over a little too fast to grab them and am pretty much back to square one. Luckily I didn't end up on the ground this time, but it's hurting like hell any time I even slightly bend forward and stuff.

I really need to get this over with as soon as possible, I have too much on my plate right now and I am tired of it slowing me down right now. You guys have any ideas on how to speed up this healing process?

BenCarp27

I feel like an old man...
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2010
    New Orleans Area, Southshore
    ditto on CEHollier, only I like to use Icy Hot cream in the morning and at night.

I do construction, and mine locks up every couple months. One too many times doing what I shouldn't. The only advice I would give you, and it might not be what the doctors say, but KEEP USING IT. I always find that the more I lay off of it and rest, the more stiff and locked up it gets.

deafdave3

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    DO NOT put ice on your back if the healing process has already begun. That's just gonna slow it down. In the immediate 48 - 72 hours after onset of injury, ice is recommended to minimize swelling. However, afterwards, heat is recommended to speed blood flow to injury site.

It hurts for a reason; your body is trying to fix the injury. Therefore, if you use a heavy pain relief drug like hydrocodone or marijuana (ahhhh), you risk agitating the injury. Ibuprofen is recommended, but its important to rest until the injury heals.

Dave328

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jul 11, 2007
    Gretna
    It hurts for a reason; your body is trying to fix the injury. Therefore, if you use a heavy pain relief drug like hydrocodone or marijuana (ahhhh), you risk agitating the injury. Ibuprofen is recommended, but its important to rest until the injury heals.

Unless you have a disc rupture, and that disc material likes to work the nerve like a speedbag from time to time! ;)

blackboltss

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    Slidell
    same thing happened 2 me a while back... started out as what i thought was a pulled muscle and slowly started getting worse.... turned out it was 3 herniated disk.. and im only 24... hope thats not your case... it sucks

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    DO NOT put ice on your back if the healing process has already begun. That's just gonna slow it down. In the immediate 48 - 72 hours after onset of injury, ice is recommended to minimize swelling. However, afterwards, heat is recommended to speed blood flow to injury site.

Not to diss your post but after a back strain the muscles will tighten up to immobilize (protect) the area. It's called "gaurding". They will stay tight and even spasm. This increased muscle tension (pressure) impedes bloodflow to the muscles. Starved of nutrients and oxygen, because the increased pressure impedes blood flow into the tissues, the muscles go to anaerobic metabolism. A byproduct of anaeroebic metabolism is lactic acid which further aggravates the area. The goal is to get the muscles to their normal resting tone and open the nutrient pathway. Ice helps to decrease muscle tone and reduce inflammation. Usually in the acute phase use ice. Then alternate to heat then ice as tension/spasms decrease. I use both heat and ice in my practice depending on the situation. This is why medicine is more of an art than science. Different people react differently to things. :)

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    New Orleans, Lafayette, and SC
    Well, I am feeling much better today. Luckily I didn't really mess up my back again, just moved a little too quick I guess and brought back a little pain.

As far as inversion tables go, I actually have one at the house, but I can't use it. I sprained my ankle pretty seriously 2 months back and tore a bunch of tissue. Can't be hanging upside down by my ankles right now.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    I'd go get adjusted by a Chiro. That's what I do when I strain my back.

Get adjusted, keep stretching, go back in a few weeks get adjusted again.

that's just me.

SeventhSon

Evil Conservative
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 30, 2008
    Slidell
    I first yanked by back out during a working party in the military back in '97. That was the start of it and it's never been the same since. The last serious time it went out was a few months back. Bent over to pick up a pencil and that's all she wrote. Was down for two days. I have found that heat/ice/heat/ice works for me. That, and lots of Motrin. Now, I just have a constant ache in my lower back about 90% of the time.

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    Not to diss your post but after a back strain the muscles will tighten up to immobilize (protect) the area. It's called "gaurding". They will stay tight and even spasm. This increased muscle tension (pressure) impedes bloodflow to the muscles. Starved of nutrients and oxygen, because the increased pressure impedes blood flow into the tissues, the muscles go to anaerobic metabolism. A byproduct of anaeroebic metabolism is lactic acid which further aggravates the area. The goal is to get the muscles to their normal resting tone and open the nutrient pathway. Ice helps to decrease muscle tone and reduce inflammation. Usually in the acute phase use ice. Then alternate to heat then ice as tension/spasms decrease. I use both heat and ice in my practice depending on the situation. This is why medicine is more of an art than science. Different people react differently to things. :)

what are you, a physical therapist or something? ;)

Jed

Bloody Foreigner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    Clearwater Beach, FL
    If you're only 20 and six five already you are still growing, so some muscle developement work on your lower spine should help alleviate any future back injuries.

Top Bottom