Putting in my app w/ Gretna P.D.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CUJOHUNTER

EARPLUGS??
    Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New Orleans
    Anyone here work or know anyone working for Gretna PD? I just picked up an application from Captain Jackson. I used to live in Gretna and know the city very well so I thought it would be perfect. What's your experience with GPD? What do they carry and is it issued? Is there any PO1 or rookie jail time? Take home car? Salary scale? Anyway,I'm sure I'll be briefed with all this info soon but I wanted to hear some real time,unabridged,unbiased opinions on this matter. After all,this is going to be the start of my new career.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    I worked there for about 7 years. Good department. Like any othr, they have their good guys and asshats, but all told, pretty solid group of guys.

Whe I left they were issuing 45 cal Glocks. I think you may also arry your own weapon if you prefer. Gretna does not work the jail since they are a police dpeartment and not a sheriff's office. Gretna also has one of the few and arguably one of the best POST academys in the state.

Units are taked home and are generally vcery nice Gretna has a lot of good equipment for a small department due to grants.

I am sure it has changed, but i initially wrote the first patrol rifle policy and training program.They now have an SRT team that was just starting up when I left.

Keep in mind, Gretna is a small town and the dpeartment like any other can be political at times.

Oddly enough, I got in trouble for stopping Councilman Bolar after he almost ran me off the road. Now he is in ail for fraud....go figure. LOL.

Great department where I first cut my teeth on undercover and street level narcotics and traffic.

Not a bad choice of available departments in the area. It can be both good an bad, but they are kinda "old school" in the way they view police work. It could have changed, but they were a "get the job done however you have to as long as it is legal and ethical." kind of department.

In other words, when heads needed butin...dey got busted.

I have arrested people in J who have made comments about not wanting to get caught by Gretna. LOL

Booseman

In Vino Veritas
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Lake Charles
    Good luck on the path you are about to take. I am looking at the same path when I get home at the end of April. But my path will be with the Calcasieu SO.

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    Good luck bro. My advice, if you want to get into LE, is to put in an app with every pd on the southshore and JPSO. it's a tough economy brother.

Duck Jenkins

Lone Wolf
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2010
    NO/LA Area
    Full time. Doing a complete 180 and starting something I've always wanted to do other than being a pro musician which I was for 15 years till about Dec 4th of this year.

That takes some big ONES in my book. I was only asking b/c I was wondering what the requirements would be for a volunteer officer. Good Luck.

And I did some checking, some police departments do have jails and not all sheriff's departments have jails, so that was a good question.

rebelray84

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 7, 2010
    Amite,LA
    Full time. Doing a complete 180 and starting something I've always wanted to do other than being a pro musician which I was for 15 years till about Dec 4th of this year.

Good luck Jonathan,hope it works out for you.I think a member here with the username Grendal is with Gretna.

rebelray84

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 7, 2010
    Amite,LA
    Or if he wanted to just go somewhere else he could just go to one of the other thousands of PDs hiring that you could find with your random google search. I think you should also make a clean break: http://www.assistedsuicide.org/

That is cold-blooded bro!:rofl:

I'm thinking our buddy PC should have the mods change his name to MR. Macgoogle or maybe googlemaster!

deafdave3

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    Cujo, I wish you the best of luck. Let us know how it goes.

I really, really, REALLY wish I could be involved in Law Enforcement. But, for some reason, they don't like deaf people!:dunno:

Oh, well. That's life!:)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Fanblade1
    Top Bottom