Question about .223 suppressor (heavy barrel)

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • senseiturtle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2007
    South Carolina
    I have an Olympic AR15 with the heavy barrel, and I'm learning about suppressors.

1) Can the heavy barrel be modified / threaded for the installation of a suppressor?

2) Is it expensive / excessively troublesome to do so? (As in, should I just buy a "lite-contour" barrel for the suppressor instead? )

3) What about those nifty flash-suppressor with screw-on sound suppressor systems?

Thanks in advance.

biggie1447

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2010
    Slidell
    most supressors attach to a specialized flash supressor that replaces your current one.
    it all depends on which supressor you want to attach.

there are numerous different thread patterns and even quick release that require no threads on the supressor its self.

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    have it threaded for .5 x 28 and you will be fine.. I have a heavy barrel and got a 30 cal can and I use a thread adapter to go from five eighths by 28 to half by 28 and it does fine..

Barney88PDC

SEND IT
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    I have an Olympic AR15 with the heavy barrel, and I'm learning about suppressors.

1) Can the heavy barrel be modified / threaded for the installation of a suppressor?

2) Is it expensive / excessively troublesome to do so? (As in, should I just buy a "lite-contour" barrel for the suppressor instead? )

3) What about those nifty flash-suppressor with screw-on sound suppressor systems?

Thanks in advance.

1) Yes you can, as stated the normal threads for a .223/5.56 are 1/2" x 28 TPI. The heavier barrel would have a bigger OD which would mean a bigger mating shoulder for a screw on suppressor. Better for a screw on.

2) I would just thread the one I have. The price to thread a bolt gun depends on the smith but is usually about $150 with a thread protector. For an AR it may be cheaper just for the threading and just buy your own Flash Suppressor.

3) Those cans have a special flash suppressor which has the necessary threads on the OD of the flash suppressor for the can to mount. Usually with a Quick Detach feature.

most supressors attach to a specialized flash supressor that replaces your current one.
    it all depends on which supressor you want to attach.

there are numerous different thread patterns and even quick release that require no threads on the supressor its self.

This is only true for the QD cans. A screw on would mount direct to the threads on the barrel.

Waccou

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Thanks in advance.

Check out AAC's "Blackout" or "Brakeout" suppressor adaptor/flash hider combo. It allows you to quickly don and "doff" your can and not have to worry about a thread protector. You can get them in just about any thread pitch (you will still have to have your barrel threaded) and you can buy one for each of your barrels (about $99/ea). Only problem is you will need to buy an AAC suppressor - which is not really a bad thing as they are top notch. I think it makes a great combination. check out the link: http://www.advanced-armament.com/product.aspx?pid=682

senseiturtle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2007
    South Carolina
    Waccou,

That system looks great! Perhaps I'll just have to save up more cash and "do it right the first time."

Although, I'll be getting the "brakeout" flash suppressor for my walther G22 (the other weapon the suppressor will serve, a .22lr)... which could look funny, but who cares?

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    Waccou,

That system looks great! Perhaps I'll just have to save up more cash and "do it right the first time."

Although, I'll be getting the "brakeout" flash suppressor for my walther G22 (the other weapon the suppressor will serve, a .22lr)... which could look funny, but who cares?

Bad idea. Get a .22 can that can be taken apart and cleaned for .22 shooting.

Go to silencerresearch.com and check out the wealth of info there. They provide unbiased reviews of suppressors. Silencertalk.com is run by people who work for AAC, so you can imagine why they think AAC cans are the greatest cans ever made.

JR1572

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    Talk to Will with Red Jacket, he makes the adapter for his supressors and he can thread your barrel as well, he would be my go to man if I had the money for that at the moment!

rockmup

Please be my friend
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   0
    Apr 21, 2007
    City of Central

Go to silencerresearch.com and check out the wealth of info there. They provide unbiased reviews of suppressors. Silencertalk.com is run by people who work for AAC, so you can imagine why they think AAC cans are the greatest cans ever made.

JR1572

Well said.

Barney88PDC

SEND IT
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    .22lr will turn your expensive .223 suppressor into a $1000 paperweight/doorstop.

Can you back that up with experience or links?

JR1572

+1

Last edited:

thomjb

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 24, 2010
    Southern IN
    Adco threaded a barrel for me, whoever does it, they have to be good, you want them to make sure the exterior of the threads are concentric with the bore. Not all barrels have the hole in the center. This is not good firing through a can.

Best wishes, they are fun!

Top Bottom