Question for you LEO folks .

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Mannelite

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2019
    Covington, Louisiana
    I don't think its as complicated as most of the people are making it out to be. You ask the officer if you are being detained, he has to tell you yes or no, if he dodges the question ask him again, if you are being detained (even "temporarily detained") you have to provide ID. If he says you are not being detained then you ask if you are free to go. If you're not being detained then they must let you go. They have 2 choice, 1. Detain you, 2. Not detain you. If they choose 1 you have to provide ID. If they choose 2 you can just walk/drive away, just ask them or let them know first so they don't shoot you in the back.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    I don't think its as complicated as most of the people are making it out to be. You ask the officer if you are being detained, he has to tell you yes or no, if he dodges the question ask him again, if you are being detained (even "temporarily detained") you have to provide ID. If he says you are not being detained then you ask if you are free to go. If you're not being detained then they must let you go. They have 2 choice, 1. Detain you, 2. Not detain you. If they choose 1 you have to provide ID. If they choose 2 you can just walk/drive away, just ask them or let them know first so they don't shoot you in the back.

You are correct, but for the love of god please get the phrase right, “am I being detained or am
    I free to leave”. I’ve heard so many people try to ask me that but butcher it up.
    They ask if they are being resisted, apprehended, etc. I always have to correct them and tell them the correct words to say. We do get a good laugh out of it though back at the Krispy Kreme.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

buttanic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    LaPlace, LA
    While on the subject of police. I have a CHP, I know that if stopped while driving I have to notify the officer. What about if my wife is driving her car with me along for the ride. Her car is registered in her name not mine so there shouldn't be any linkage between her car and my CHP.

krotsman

Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Baton Rouge

WhereIsIt?

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 30, 2020
    Gretna, La
    While on the subject of police. I have a CHP, I know that if stopped while driving I have to notify the officer. What about if my wife is driving her car with me along for the ride. Her car is registered in her name not mine so there shouldn't be any linkage between her car and my CHP.
    Back of the card says nothing about who a car is registered to..

It says "whenever you are detained by a police officer, you will immediately inform".

So if you are detained, inform. If not.. Then don't.

Tactitools and blanket statements... Welcome to Bayoushooter.

krotsman

Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Baton Rouge

It says "whenever you are detained by a police officer, you will immediately inform".

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that a traffic stop is a temporary detention, whether you are driver or passenger, so if you are carrying, your are obligated to inform the officer.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I'm not an attorney, nothing I say should be construed as legal advice.

To put resisting arrest statutes into perspective you should first be familiar with the John Bad Elk decision. You should be familiar with it before ever putting on a badge!!!

You should be familiar with it and with any subsequent court decisions relative to it. If someone bases their actions solely on that case, they are setting themselves up for failure.

AdvancedLaser

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 15, 2021
    Covington, Louisiana
    I'm not an attorney, nothing I say should be construed as legal advice.

To put resisting arrest statutes into perspective you should first be familiar with the John Bad Elk decision. You should be familiar with it before ever putting on a badge!!!

Well a lot of us ARE very familiar with it.

AdvancedLaser

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 15, 2021
    Covington, Louisiana
    You should be familiar with it and with any subsequent court decisions relative to it. If someone bases their actions solely on that case, they are setting themselves up for failure.
    Bingo.
    This.

And to go a step further, the humor of using a single case as the point of argument for actions in the only state with Napoleonic code.

CatCam

Ready, Shoot, Aim!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    THIS 100%. I'm not showing ID to ANY LEO unless I am being detained, other than that he can F-off.

Fugum

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 8, 2015
    Metairie

Tactitools and blanket statements... Welcome to Bayoushooter.
    The state police website states "when any peace officer approaches a permittee in an official manner or with an identified purpose, the permittee shall" notify him he's carrying a weapon, submit to a pat down, and allow the officer to temporarily disarm you.

Personally, I would consider a traffic stop to be an official manner, and wouldn't matter if I was the driver or passenger.

As a concealed carrier, I have duty to inform and produce ID if stopped. I don't recall seeing anything that gives me the option to disregard this rule if I don't agree with the reason for being stopped.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom