Questions on setting up a range in jefferson

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    I have a friend who has ~20 acres, in waggaman, and was wondering if there were any rules, ordnances, etc. that would prevent him from making a pretty nice dirt backstop on his property as a place to shoot a rifle? All were looking at doing is setting up some paper targets, and wasting a few rounds every now and then.

buttanic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    LaPlace, LA
    Private or public, how close is the nearest residence or business. If it is private and no one complains or calls an LEO then it probably won't be an issue. I have about 30 acres of wooded land in St John parish about 3 miles from the center of LaPlace. The nearest residence is about 7 tenths of a mile away. My relatives and I shoot there regularly and it has never been an issue.
    And it is always easier to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Private or public, how close is the nearest residence or business. If it is private and no one complains or calls an LEO then it probably won't be an issue. I have about 30 acres of wooded land in St John parish about 3 miles from the center of LaPlace. The nearest residence is about 7 tenths of a mile away. My relatives and I shoot there regularly and it has never been an issue.
    And it is always easier to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission.

That is GREAT advice! I hear it works great after Tyrone fattens your lip for back talkin him when he asked you to cry like a kitty as he hit it from the back side. Just ask your new daddy for forgiveness.

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Neighbor issues aside, I am not sure if the city of Waggaman has any city ordnances about firing inside the city limits. Part of that would matter determinate on if Waggaman is incorporated or not.

Otherwise, the "ask for forgiveness" answer is what gets most people by, but that does not necessarily make it legal. Kinda along the same lines of "concealed means concealed."

Jefferson Parish City Ordnances

Look Specifically here:

Last edited:

Duck Jenkins

Lone Wolf
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2010
    NO/LA Area
    That is GREAT advice! I hear it works great after Tyrone fattens your lip for back talkin him when he asked you to cry like a kitty as he hit it from the back side. Just ask your new daddy for forgiveness.

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Neighbor issues aside, I am not sure if the city of Waggaman has any city ordnances about firing inside the city limits. Part of that would matter determinate on if Waggaman is incorporated or not.

Otherwise, the "ask for forgiveness" answer is what gets most people by, but that does not necessarily make it legal. Kinda along the same lines of "concealed means concealed."

Jefferson Parish City Ordnances

Look Specifically here:

Waggaman is unicorporated, FYI, so you need to look at the parish ords.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    Sec. 20-150. - Discharge of slingshots, arrows, air rifles, firearms and other weapons.

(a)
    Discharge of slingshots, arrows, air rifles, etc., within five hundred (500) feet of public places. It shall be unlawful for any person to fire or discharge any slingshot, blank pistol, blank cartridge, shotgun, fowling piece, air rifle, air pistol, or any arrow or other projectile capable of inflicting death or grievous bodily injury within five hundred (500) feet of any public place, road highway, street, park, playground, walk or walkway, bike or horse trail, navigable stream or waterway, canal, residence, home or building or structure occupied or capable of habitation within the parish.
    (b)
    Discharge of firearms within five thousand five hundred (5,500) feet of a public place. It shall be unlawful for any person to fire or discharge any firearms, pistol, rifle or any weapon which is designed to expel any projectile or projectiles a distance in excess of one thousand (1,000) feet by the action of any explosive within five thousand five hundred (5,500) feet of any public place, road, highway, street, park, playground, walk or walkway, bike or horse trail, navigable stream or waterway, canal, residence, home, building or structure occupied or capable of habitation within the parish.
    (c)
    Exceptions. The provisions of this section shall not apply to the following:
    (1)
    To public shooting or archery galleries now lawfully established hereafter as provided by law or parish ordinance.
    (2)
    To target practice ranges or shooting galleries required and maintained by the sheriff's department and target practice ranges of organizations which have presently established and approved target practice ranges in the parish;
    (3)
    To the use and discharge of blank pistols and blank cartridges only where the use and discharge thereof is conducted in formal ceremonies conducted by recognized organizations, such as the V.F.W. and American Legion, and for athletic events and in connection with the training of hunting dogs; and further, provided a permit, in advance, is obtained from the department of inspections and code enforcement; to pound keepers and/or their helpers pursuant to their duties in rounding up stray or wild animals during performance of such duties;
    (4)
    To the sheriff, his deputies or any other duly legally constituted officer of the law or law enforcement officer while acting in his or their official capacity.

Well, that right there pretty much sunk it. Too close to a road. He owns from river road, to the railroad tracks near live oak blvd, along latigue road. All together its around two miles, however, latigue going as far back as it does, and live oak's curving away makes it pretty much impossible

Last edited:

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    Being that it will only be myself and a few guys from the volunteer fire department. I might just try to get them to ask the JPSOs that are always at live oak if we could get a free pass on the first call, if there is one that is.

highstandard40

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Prairieville
    Those rules make it virtually impossible to legally discharge a weapon anywhere in the parish. Why didn't they just say that...."illegal to discharge a firearm anywhere in the parish".
    5500ft is over a mile.. Where are you going to find a place that is more than a mile away from a road, waterway, or structure?

So how would you use a firearm to defend yourself?

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    I couldn't find anything regarding gun ranges or permitting gun ranges. . . . would that be entirely up to the discretion of the Jefferson Parish permit office?

Storm52

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Shreveport
    If the above ordinance is from JP, then I can't see how any new range could be established without approval from *someone*. The restriction on slingshot is 500 ft.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    It also has navigable stream, waterway, canal, in there, which means anywhere in the southern half is ruled out as well. He as about 12,000 feet going from north east to south west, but he doesn't have the width. I was hoping I'd have gotten lucky, a semi-private range would've defiantly been nice

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jamesernestomurray
    Top Bottom