Reborn G Kit

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BR 870

Standing behind you...
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 23, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Here are some pics of the Romy G Kit that Bam very kindly helped me get rebuilt over the weekend. You guys building the weekend should have your own very soon.

this is what was done in one day
    2131667941_97d42d0d65.jpg

with her clothes on as promised
    2133745561_4eb6abe25b.jpg

Now all she needs is to be blued. Hopefully this will get some of you guys psyched up for the build...

LouisianaCarry

Tactibilly
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 14, 2007
    Keithville
    Serious question.

Why are you guys so hard about AKs? I have never had one, all I have seen is videos comparing them to ARs, and it seems like ARs are the gentleman's rifle.

Anyway, seriously, what's the big deal about them?

BR 870

Standing behind you...
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 23, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Serious question.

Why are you guys so hard about AKs? I have never had one, all I have seen is videos comparing them to ARs, and it seems like ARs are the gentleman's rifle.

I would ask the same about the AR... :rolleyes:
    Me personally, I prefer simplicity and relability to mechanical complexity and accuracy. That's why I go with Glocks over 1911s, and AKs over ARs. I like knowing, that even though I clean my rifle after every time I shoot it, I could still let it go for thousands of rounds without cleaning, and it would still go bang everytime. I like knowing it can often be repaired with swift whacks with a hammer. I like knowing almost any part can be improvised with simple tools, and no complex machining to exacting tolerances.
    Nothing against the AR. I suppose gentlemans rifle is accurate, if by gentleman you mean "delicate and sensitive", sure... :rofl:

CajunTim

Premium CoonAss Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Oct 19, 2006
    Mandeville, LA
    I have nothing against the ARs if I could have one for $200 I would get one. To me this AK will be a toy a cheap toy that doesn't cost much to feed.
    Personally I don't care for the x39 or the .223 I'm a .308 fan.
    In the brush I'll take the x39 over the .223
    In a life or death situation I will grab whichever is closest if I'm going out to battle I'm going to put my life behind the .308

When I was in the service I fired a lot of night fires and you could see the SAWs tracer rounds bouncing around more hitting twigs and not making it to the obj as often as the 240s ammo shooting out of the same brush.

ARs can be compared to Metallicas Black album, they were both used to convert people to the otherside.

I've never been accused of being a gentleman!

gunz4me

Target Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 14, 2006
    Lafayette
    I don't know what everyone's obsession is with AKs. :crazy: I myself, am a lightweight, because I only own 3 and they are all Chinese.... :D I also like the Chinese AK Mags, but am having a harder time finding them these days.

Then again, I just like guns. For some it is hookers, for others it is drugs/alcohol, but I prefer to spend my money on something that I have to show for it. The only downside is that I am almost in need of another gun safe and I have been trying to save to drop a supercharger in the Mustang GT.

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    Serious question.

They work.
    They are rugged
    they are cheap.

I've used quite a few M16's and M4's and I've seen them fail both in Training and Iraq.

I've also seen what the SS109 round will do to a human.
    I see no point in having to shoot someone 5-7 times in the chest before they go down.

Basically an AK will work even after an INCREDABLE amount of abuse, and the first thing about a combat rifle is that it MUST go 'Bang' when you need it to.

#1bambam

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Oct 14, 2007
    The Nasty New Orleans.
    This is that vid I was talking about, BTW:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1990706636427356701

As far as reliability, my AR has 4K rds through it, with only a few ammo realted failures (popped primers from gun show reloads, etc.)

Can't argue AKs are cheaper, though.

ETA: Tribute to the Patriot Weapon of Choice AR15
    The only problem I have with that video is it must have been the first time the guy shot a ak.Because I can hit a 13 inch x 13 inch plate at 250 yards all day.

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    This is why I like the AK platform

I think for me it's the robust simplicity of the beast that turns me on. There's a comment attributed to Kalashnikov that goes something like, "Anybody can make a complicated device that works. The beauty is in making a simple one that works." The Kalashnikov can take abuse that would permanently disable a lesser gun and still put 20 out of 30 rounds in a 13" steel plate at 250 yards - over iron sights. It's compact, simple, reliable, extremely hard-hitting, and accurate. I can make one for less than $200 that will never jam unless its ammunition malfunctions, and even then I've fired a few magazines of ammo only to find two shell cases rattling around inside the receiver yet not preventing the rifle from firing. I had been moving pretty actively during the firing of the magazines, and I suspect the reason they got trapped in there was due to my activities. It will punch through 1/4" steel plate easily - at 250 yards. It will fire thousands of rounds of the dirtiest ammo imaginable, then fire another thousand. I've personally fired 2,160 rounds through one of my home-builds, and the rifle showed no sign of any issues whatsoever. That's a home-build!!!

I'm trying very hard to not compare it to the AR. I don't think such comparisons are profitable. I feel that these rifles should not be made for accuracy beyond 400 yards. Not many people can see well enough to hit a pie-plate at that range, yet the AK47 is accurate to within 1" per hundred yards. Beyond 500 yards I think I should be using a bolt-action rifle anyway. I'm really not sure though, as I've never taken a shot past about 300 yards. Ever. In 35 years of shooting. Maybe if I did my opinions might change.

Nevertheless if I wanted a rifle I could throw in my trunk and ignore for four or five years, then haul out and know it will chamber a round and hit my target then do so again, that rifle would be an AK-47.

Last edited:

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    I look at the AR & think Eugene Stoner was a Genius. A lot of what he did was a bit before his time. Stoner also has some patents not related to the AR/M16.
    I just took apart a borrowed AK & have to say Kalashnikov was no dummy either. Not that I think Mikhail's AKM was so original.
    I would not talk out against an AK til I had spent some time with one. So far the biggest issue on the ones I have handled tend to be sharp edges. Other than that I have never shot one. I expect it would be quite similar to the SKS - which came out 1 year earlier.
    I feel that all 3 rifles have a bit of myth surrounding them that owning them tends to debunk.
    I'm going to do an AK build at some point. One thing all 3 rifles have in common is the number of variations can be a bit to deal with at times. That is milsurp in general in my book.

Later,
    RDO

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    My-Rifle,
    I see there is a lot of room in the receiver. I also took note of the trigger group. Doesnt seem like there are enough parts to call it a group. OK the trigger on a Sheridan 5mm air rifle is simpler, but that's all that I could think of right quick. The ejector being part of the rail is less parts.

Definitely the simplicity is inviting. It has that "Why re-invent the wheel" approach, which a lot of gun do. If it works it works, can't argue with success.

I'm attending the build just to spectate - hope to get a plan for a future build.
    Only one though.

Later,
    RDO

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    This is that vid I was talking about, BTW:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1990706636427356701

As far as reliability, my AR has 4K rds through it, with only a few ammo realted failures (popped primers from gun show reloads, etc.)

Can't argue AKs are cheaper, though.

ETA: Tribute to the Patriot Weapon of Choice AR15

I'm not talking about reliability at the range, I mean field use.
    I've seen that video before... look closely. The cleaning rod is not snaped in correctly and is flexing, NOT the barrel.

The video is VERY much Propaganda...

The shooters/accuracy comparason: It's the shooters. The AK shooter is INTENTIONALLY slapping the trigger.

That bit about MG's is just inane, and is not supported by any FACTS.

LouisianaCarry

Tactibilly
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 14, 2007
    Keithville
    Thanks, guys. This is an interesting read. Like I said, it was a sincere question. I love my AR, but I am not a Koolaider about it. I do think the 5.56 causes a little more of a wound than some like to think, but, in the end, I reckon I like my AR because it is just sexier. I'll have to get me an AK after I get my AR-10, maybe.

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    Thanks, guys. This is an interesting read. Like I said, it was a sincere question. I love my AR, but I am not a Koolaider about it. I do think the 5.56 causes a little more of a wound than some like to think, but, in the end, I reckon I like my AR because it is just sexier. I'll have to get me an AK after I get my AR-10, maybe.

LC,
    I find some AK guys will never like the AR, and some AR guys will never like the AK. Somewhere in there are some folks that like both. There are arguments against both weapons & rounds, 5.56 vs 7.62, not even getting into the other calibers. Whether are not they are valid arguements is a whole can of worms. I do love the AR but AK's have a certain appeal & can actually be sexy.
    ak47-mp3-00.jpg

Top Bottom