Red Jacket firearms

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    A deputy i know is friends with the guy who owns that place I think... he told me to go and he should hook me up a bit, I just havent had the chance to check them out.

Flipn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 15, 2006
    I go shooting there on occasion and have used them for FFL transfers. Will, the owner, is a good guy but he seems to be a little moody at times.

That is the truth.. I went there once because a friend of mine wanted to shoot a class 3 AK47.. My friend has been there once before already to shoot a machinegun and he was telling us how that guy was cool and how they helped him fix his ak free etc etc.. so when we get there he was already in a pissy mood and basically was a prick the whole time.. Anyways havent been there since.. (I wouldnt mind going back but I would rather go to Honey Island- same driving distance)

gunz4me

Target Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 14, 2006
    Lafayette
    I used to drive up to Baton Rouge once a month to shoot there, but the last time I went, things were going downhill. There was a fire in the backstop insulation and most of the lanes were down because the target retrieval system was not working, or totally missing. Also, Will has implemented some strange rules such as no bringing in your own targets (even big ones), and no rapid fire. I understand the no rapid fire thing for a moron wasting ammo, but it makes it hard to practice double and triple taps.

For the most part, Will is a good guy. One day he explained to my uncle and myself how a lot of the hunters were ruining his range. Basically, they get their rifle sighted in, then start destroying stuff by showing off to their buddies ("hey, look what I can do"). I can't say I blame the guy for not dumping more money into his range since some patrons seem to be destroying it. Also, I think he is swamped with builds for himself and Atlantic Firearms. He once told me that he was working till 2 to 3 AM in the morning getting caught up on builds as well as spending many hours after the range shut down to work on the backstop.

It is just sad to see his range go downhill because I used to enjoy going there and shooting the bull with Will.

SzUrGoT

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2006
    From what I understand, this Will guy is Dr. Jeckle and Mr. Hyde. I have heard people say such great things about him and what a friendly person he is. The two times I have dealt with him, he has been less than friendly and I havent been back. He does have some nice rigs there though.

Y.T.

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Central
    I used to go there b/c it was close to work and closer to home than precision but I got fed up with having fight with the target retrieval system.

I've always talked the young girl that works there when I went. She was friendly and seemed to have to have some good info on the various products they sell. I've never met Will but I have heard some really great and some really bad things about him.

I need to go and check that place out again.

CCarls

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2006
    I've been there several times. I've seen both sides of Will, he can be great or a dick. Last time I was there it was hot as hell in the range. I don't get the 'no rapid fire' rule at a range that rents class III. I don't bother going there anymore.

tthame1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2006
    From what I understand, this Will guy is Dr. Jeckle and Mr. Hyde. I have heard people say such great things about him and what a friendly person he is. The two times I have dealt with him, he has been less than friendly and I havent been back. He does have some nice rigs there though.

Definately Jekyll and Hyde, I've spent close to $3k there and sometimes he is cool, sometimes he is a dick. I got really angry the last few times I went after he talked to me like I was a 3 yr old and completely went off on my because I popped a few off quickly from my AR (that I bought from him mind you). How can you rent machine guns, but not allow anyone to rapid fire? To make matters worse, that range was in trash shape last time I went.

I will say that Will builds some incredible rifles, he puts a lot of time and custom work into all of them...I've never shot an AR that I liked better than the one he built for me.

Nurseman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2006
    I have stoped going to that range since will keeps inventing new rules. Soon you will just be allowed to point your finger and go bang ....

No rapid fire (but they rent class 3)
    No bringing your own targets
    No stick on targets

No keeping up your own brass (like I am going to leave my once fired starline brass) yet you have to pick up all of your brass.

I am sick of the mincing lecture he gives prior to you shooting - even if you were there yesterday.

I have never caused a problem at a range, only shoot pistol, I have never missed a target or hit a wall mount ect. I am a professional over 30 and he still acts like you are a stupid 12 year old.

UnseenUSPCompact

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    have to have a credit card to shoot there now...i don't own one and don't plan on it, so i won't be back.....claims its because people keep tearing his stuff up, but thats what he gets for letting those ghetto thugs come in there and shoot the roof and walls with AK's :o

Speedlace

LOL...right?
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2007
    have to have a credit card to shoot there now...i don't own one and don't plan on it, so i won't be back.....claims its because people keep tearing his stuff up, but thats what he gets for letting those ghetto thugs come in there and shoot the roof and walls with AK's :o

I guess people that have credit cards can shoot :rolleyes:
    Oh well... won't be frequenting that establishment:squint:

Red Jacket

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 4, 2007
    You know , instead of doing a "point by point" , I think I'll just try to give you guys an overview .
    One , everything said on this thread is true . I am in the shop 7 days a week and depending on the ******* that just left and the temperature in the shop I can indeed be a moody motherf**ker .
    We did a overhaul of how we were letting people in at the first of the year in an effort to civilize the clientale . Believe it or not , if you're open to the public , you pretty much have to let in anybody that walks through the door . That includes "Killerz Karl and his badazz choppa" . I don't want the thug's , gangsta's or hip shooters . I want it so that you can come in here with your spouse , family and feel comfortable and safe . Since you can't put that on a sign , we had to find some other way to eliminate the problem . Legally , you're damn limited . We went to a "Private Club" , format and require a credit card for membership . That did the trick . If if it's put out some safe shooters that I would otherwise want , well , that does suck but I don't know what else to do .
    No rapid fire . It's a rare guy that can pull the trigger quickly on a semi and keep them on target , that ones who can't ruined it a long time ago for the ones who can . Since I have no intention keeping a babysitter in the range to watch everyone this is the best we could come up with .
    Machinguns . Easier to keep controlled bursts on target . Also , no return to shoot up on the machinegun lane and a few thousand pounds of rubber to catch the bullets .
    Equipment . Having gotten rid of the "lead-slinger's " we've been able to keep things working and are in the process of replacing much of it . After having $5000.00 worth shot up within a week of installation last time I tried it , it had to wait till I got the client list adjusted .
    Range Rule speech . Yep , you'll get the short version every time . We say it more then you'll ever hear it , and still get the "oh , I forgot"
    The range is a sideline , it's really there so I can test-fire the weapons we produce . It had gotten to the point of being more trouble then it was worth but I didn't want to close it down . Lot of good people come in there and didn't want to yank the rug on them . The way the Membership thing works , you pay $5.00 for the card and we keep your info . It's $10.00 for the lane fee when you shoot . Ladies are $5.00 on their own , free with a paying guest .
    We ain't for everybody , if you want to pull the trigger as fast as you can , walk around with a loaded weapon , shoot from the hip , shoot up the place and leave a mess , we defiantly ain't for you . I want a easy , casual atmosphere in the range . If I have to pay someone to stand around as "rangemaster" just to keep the clients from shooting each other , then it's just not worth it to me .

What we are is a production company that has a test-fire range which we let people use . I don't mind people using it , but I don't need it to be a pain in my ass . We're running 3 crew's trying to keep up with production and am still running 2 months behind on orders . I simply don't have a "gun guy" to stand at the counter and shoot the **** for hours on end . If you have a question about our product line , glad to answer it If you have a question about somebody elses product line , I really think you should ask them .
    I'm in the shop 7 a week , feel free to call or e-mail . E-mails best , if you call during business hours I can just about promise I'll be working on an order and you will get the short version . Will

Lashlaro

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2007
    Have to second Will on all of that. In the beginning WAY too many yahoos. The credit card requirement seriously cut down on all of that without violating too many feel-good laws - you can't just "ban" "gangstas". Doesn't work that way. If you think it does, then why not try it in your business at some point....hehehe

Top Bottom