Red Jacket firearms

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Toby

bah
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 16, 2007
    CocoDrie Ferry
    I just posted about your place, asking if anyone knew much about it. This thread does a whole bunch for me. It looks and sounds like you're a straight shooter type. I will stop in there the next time I'm in BR.

Red Jacket

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 4, 2007
    I just posted about your place, asking if anyone knew much about it. This thread does a whole bunch for me. It looks and sounds like you're a straight shooter type. I will stop in there the next time I'm in BR.

Look forward to it dude , any questions ,feel free to call . Yeah , I think thats the good and the bad , depending on how much you like what you're hearing .

Manimal

Get'n Duffy!
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 27, 2007
    Louisiana
    I just dont like the no rapid fire rule...I need to learn & practice to get beter at it. Though, I understand why you have it. I'm a member there already, but its not a place I frequent(yet?). I -love- the products you make, they are awesome(looking, I havent shot any yet).

You do indeed seem like a straight shooter...and anyone that works in a Louisiana warehouse 7 days a week is pretty fuquing hardcore.

Red Jacket

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 4, 2007
    I just dont like the no rapid fire rule...I need to learn & practice to get beter at it. Though, I understand why you have it. I'm a member there already, but its not a place I frequent(yet?). I -love- the products you make, they are awesome(looking, I havent shot any yet).

You do indeed seem like a straight shooter...and anyone that works in a Louisiana warehouse 7 days a week is pretty fuquing hardcore.
    Never shot one ? well thats sucks . next time you're in , tell me who you are and I'll put you on a AK . Will
    Can't help you on the rapid fire thing when you're on a lane with a return . On the other hand , I really think it's better to hit the target consistently then to miss quickly . I'm no "expert" by any means and I don't play one on the internet , but I will tell you that the 3 times I've shot at people in the store , honestly , plenty of time to settle into the sights . Most people can't shoot for **** and they just get worse when it's real . They tend to pucker up and just pull the trigger . Ignore the noise and bright lights and let proper habits [stance , sight picture, trigger control] take over . The "dumb ass to desperado" ratio is pretty ****ing high ,you ain't really got to sweat most goobers you run into if you can maintain your Zen just enough to keep from getting flustered . btw , ain't trying to give advice , just **** I've noticed over the decades . Will

Sumawolf

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2007
    Hey Will is a great guy ! I have known him since he opened Red Jacket . Yes he's always under a lot of pressure building weapons for Atlantic Firearms and personal builds as well . He has a lot of jerks he has to contend with coming in for weapon qualification from security guards and such . He gets some pretty goofy people that really gets to him at times . In fact the last time I went there with a police buddy of mine some jerk from one of those security guard places told me when I parked my truck to go in that I couldn't park there because a bunch of his guys were coming in to qualify . I just laughed at him asked him who he thought he was and walked by daring him to say another word . Serving the public is the hardest job you will ever have ! Top that off with the possibility of some goofball doing something wrong and Will winding up with a liability suit against his company and self I wonder how he stays sane sometimes . Enough said ! Don't judge someone till you walk a mile in their shoes . Sumawolf

Bowman26

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Will - You say you want a gangsta free family friendly place to shoot. I get the gangsta free part but I have been to your range once, key word once. With my wife mind you, you know my "family," everyone in your place and I think you personally made us feel like we were under scrutiny. We are both well dressed professional adults and no one had reason to be anything but nice to us.

Before we even got inside we had to listen to the rules and read ALL THE SIGNS BANNED< BANNED< BANNED everywhere you looked. The range was dark and hardly what I would call acceptable. So dark I could hardly see the targets I was FORCED to buy from you even though I was taking my wife to shoot her new pistol, ya know as a family activity which was ruined. You did not have anything with a bullseye on it only full size targets I could hit with my slingshot in your short range.

All in all we had NO desire to return as have 2 of my co-works who have been to your place ONCE and made to feel like they were less then wanted inside. So you effectively lost the business of 4 people who work a 1/4 mile away from you just for being the way you were. I am no gangsta and I just moved from BR to the country to get away from that myself and now I can shoot at home.

Just know that your line about being a family place is a bit of a stretch. If your main business is production and sales close the range already and get on with your business because your retail public interaction appeal leaves more to be desired than your range and we all know how great it is.

Bowman

Red Jacket

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 4, 2007
    Will - You say you want a gangsta free family friendly place to shoot. I get the gangsta free part but I have been to your range once, key word once. With my wife mind you, you know my "family," everyone in your place and I think you personally made us feel like we were under scrutiny. We are both well dressed professional adults and no one had reason to be anything but nice to us.

Before we even got inside we had to listen to the rules and read ALL THE SIGNS BANNED< BANNED< BANNED everywhere you looked. The range was dark and hardly what I would call acceptable. So dark I could hardly see the targets I was FORCED to buy from you even though I was taking my wife to shoot her new pistol, ya know as a family activity which was ruined. You did not have anything with a bullseye on it only full size targets I could hit with my slingshot in your short range.

All in all we had NO desire to return as have 2 of my co-works who have been to your place ONCE and made to feel like they were less then wanted inside. So you effectively lost the business of 4 people who work a 1/4 mile away from you just for being the way you were. I am no gangsta and I just moved from BR to the country to get away from that myself and now I can shoot at home.

Just know that your line about being a family place is a bit of a stretch. If your main business is production and sales close the range already and get on with your business because your retail public interaction appeal leaves more to be desired than your range and we all know how great it is.

Bowman
    Sorry you had to listen to , and even read ,the rules . If you wanted bullseye target's , we keep a bunch of them on the rack with the other , large ones . 6 bullseye's to a target . Guess you didn't see them . You're not FORCED to buy my target's , but we do require that the bullseye be 10 inch's from the top to the target . Guess you missed that sign , sorry . Glad you where able to find yourself a place to shoot where you can do what you want . Everyone who walks through my door is armed , and a potential accident , hence , "scrutinized" , I guess it does bother some . Guns going off in my store bother me , so I guess we all have our cross's to bear . Thanks for the suggestion's , I have thought about shutting it down to the public , but I do have a couple hundred really good folks a week who roll through regularly that I just don't want to pull the rug out from under . So I guess I'll be keeping it open.
    I don't even pretend to be a "people person" , which is why I try to keep somebody else at the counter . If your feathers got ruffled because you weren't properly "stroked" , well .... , but , I am straight , if you feel I was just plain hard on you for no reason at all , well walk in the door and tell me . If I think you got even half a case , then I'll apologise right there . If I don't , well , you're pissed anyway , so I don't think much would change . Will

7mmremmag

small time hero
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    lol yea this will guy is one special fella. He has more mood swings than my pregnant girlfriend. He also does talk to you like you are a kid which is not cool. but as you say you are not a "people person" I guess I can uderstand that. The range or shall I say the long shed with targets does not really seem to be safe at all considering when I went and shot a few of my guns I kept getting hit with the lead from my own bullets,which was kinda scary If you think about it. I think you should drop somewhere around 5-8 thousand and make the range really nice then you would have something. But as of now I would not recommend any one to go there and shoot any weapon. just my .02

Red Jacket

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 4, 2007
    Hey 7mm , you got something that will hold bullet's for 5 grand ? I'd love to try it . I blew 3 grand on some "ballistic" rubber blocks that advertised that , they lasted about 3 weeks . Hard to believe , but that shed's already cost about $170,000.00 . Well , hard till you start pricing cement and steel . We used steel set a 30 degree angle , directing the bullet's into a trap . Had a NRA range designer set it up , it works ok , but like you said , there can be back spatter . BTW , The only bit of bloodshed I've had in there was a State Trooper who shot his finger off . I had even tried to tell him that the fast moving pointy thing comes out of the hollow end of the iron tube , guess it didn't take though .

Red Jacket

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 4, 2007
    I might have missed the grapevine about a trooper shooting their finger off; but I spent a few days this past week with several pals who are still active duty; they DEFINITELY would have heard about it.

Nope.

So, without a name/date of this incident, I call BS.

Feel free to prove me wrong.

Check with the guy that runs the Academy , she was his nightmare . Gotta think he's kept track of her . Black lady , early/mid twenties . Way it looked ,[although , from what the Commander said , she had 3 different versions of what she did] she was holding the trigger while trying to chamber a weapon that still had a round in the chamber . Somehow had her left hand , middle finger , in front of the muzzel . Paramedic's from , what , 2 blocks down responded . Guy from the Academy called next day for a statment , names of others who where in there when it happened . Said she was talking about making a disability claim on the State over it . Seemed out of line to me when it was her sillyness , but there you go . This was , I dunno , last fall . I can't imagain she would have been a Trooper for long anyway , S.P.'s about the definition of professionalism and this lady , well , she wasn't quite that . And in fact [from her Commander] was on probation and looking at being shown the door .
    Call it what you want to Trooper , I called it idiocy . btw , as far I know , I'm the only person here who isn't typeing from behind a name he made up and everyone knows right where I'm at . For me to "********" would , aside from being against my natural grain , just be idiocy . Unlike all our other internet companions , I have to live up to/live with , everything I say .
    Drop by , I'll show you the blood stains . Got a neat bullet hole from an AR by the cash register made by a guy I bet you know too . [assuming you retired from this area]
    It's called an accicdent because it wasn't intentional and it can happen to anyone , it's why we go overboard on the safty issues . I don't think I know any experianced shooter who hasn't had an accidental discharge , myself included . Will

Red Jacket

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 4, 2007
    I thought you said it was a female, Will.
    yeah you right . I did use a male gender reference in my post . Poor atempt at being gender neutral . BTW , one of my buddy's from the Sheriff's Dept. is working up here , you might enjoy talking to him about your plunge into the civil service . He's tending the counter afternoon's/evenings . Been with the Dept about 10 years now .

Red Jacket

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 4, 2007
    While I'm here , and not on the tools . There is somthing thats been on my mind . Last June , we had a " Free Shoot" for a bunch of my out of state customers . Had a blast . Bowling pin's with machineguns and all that . I got to have a day off and just play in the range . 30-40 folks and about 6000 rounds down range . It was VERY good . Wouldn't mind sponsoring the same for this bunch . Way it worked was simple , you can play with my gun's , bring your own ammo or buy it here [ I don't care which] It's a day off and a private party . You will have to sign the disclaimer and leave your I.D. behind the counter . That's it .

Red Jacket

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 4, 2007
    Wow what a generous offer.
    well , It gives me an legit excuse to come off the tools and play in the range :) Usually the only time I go in there is to test fire or to check on somebody . We've had several of these invitational events , usually for groups of L.E.'s . It's alway's amazed me that I can have a private party , machineguns on all the lanes , blazing at bowling pin's and not have one problem . Yet I send 1 guy back there with a .38 and 10 minutes later , half the lines are down and the ******* lights are shot out . boggles the mind . Anyhoot , I e-mailed admin here , see if he has any intrest , how they'd want to work it . I think it could be fun , set up a grill on the front porch maybe . Will

rockmup

Please be my friend
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   0
    Apr 21, 2007
    City of Central
    :) LOL , Thanks Todd , I bet I needed that :) Will

Brother, that was not for you. It was the smack you laid out on whatever his name is that needed proof.

I saw the post about you B-Day shoot and thats how I came to know about your shop. Are you thinking indoor or out door shoot ? Either way, I'd be down for it. And thanks for the great offer.

Top Bottom