Red light tickets...

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I would think that a hearing would allow consideration and presentation of evidence if you were to have it, i.e. their own facial picture that is not you, or an alibi of not being anywhere near the intersection, etc.

I've found that most "don't care" when you are charged with anything, but if you have a chance to disprove the charge in a hearing and present the facts contrary, then you are afforded due process.

However, I do agree that failing certified mail or personally serving the notification is not proof that you were actually afforded the hearing opportunity, but most people do receive it in the regular mail under normal circumstances.

You would be incorrect. You could have been in another state, with receipts and other evidence to prove it, and you would still be responsible for someone else's actions. There a 6 defenses; the police told you to do it, you were speeding to get out of the way of a police car or ambulance or fire truck, you are driving a police car or ambulance or fire truck AND you were responding to a call, the driver did not have express or implied permission to drive the vehicle, your plate was stolen and that theft was reported in a timely manner, or you sold the car before the incident.

From the New Orleans ordinance:
    A vehicle owner may prove by a preponderance of the evidence at the hearing that any of the following circumstances apply and thereby qualifies as an affirmative defense to the imposition of civil liability.
    (1)The operator of the motor vehicle was acting in compliance with the lawful order or direction of a law enforcement or public safety officer;
    (2)The operator of the motor vehicle violated the instructions of the speed limit sign in an effort to move out of the way of an immediately approaching authorized emergency vehicle;
    (3)The motor vehicle was being operated as an authorized emergency vehicle under R.S. 32:24, and the operator was acting in compliance with R.S. 32:24;
    (4)The motor vehicle was being operated by a person other than the owner of the vehicle without the consent of the owner, express or implied.
    (5)The license plate depicted in the recorded image of the violation was a stolen plate and being displayed on a motor vehicle other than the motor vehicle for which the plate had been issued, if at the time of the violation the motor vehicle displayed a stolen plate, which must include proof acceptable to the hearing officer to prove that the theft of the vehicle or license plate had been timely reported to the appropriate law enforcement agency.
    (6)The person who received the notice of violation was not the owner of the motor vehicle at the time of the violation

West

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 20, 2014
    Baton Rouge, louisiana
    In Nola I Didn't pay mine. Till one day they booted my car. I was parked on the side of a street and I guess one of the reader vans got my plate.

It was an electronic boot I called the place gave them my cc number typed in a code and it came off.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

snowman

Been there, done that
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 7, 2020
    SE Baton Rouge, La.
    My wife got one in Baton Rouge several months ago. The ticket came to me since the car's in my name. I didn't pay it. So far, no calls from collections agencies, no ding on my credit score, no increase in car insurance, no booting of car (they don't do that in BR for any reason), no warrants. I haven't yet had to renew my license, or CHP, but I doubt I'll have any problems since the red light cameras are a local problem, not one for the state to enforce.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I have 3 I’ve never paid, 2 speeding cam and one red light from last summer in NOLA. No issues here. A few mailed warnings but no follow up. I sleep just fine.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    I have 3 I’ve never paid, 2 speeding cam and one red light from last summer in NOLA. No issues here. A few mailed warnings but no follow up. I sleep just fine.

I know where you work mag

Wait, it’s just a civil matter so guess u get a pass this time lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    I bet if you go look at the mailbox you have a small red round sticker on it, Not good, Not good at all man....Just say'n

And it was probably put there by the guy spotted in the white van with the other guys spraying the perfume that knocks you out. I love Facebook lore lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Vigilante Sniper

Guns are my crack!!
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    LaPlace
    You would be incorrect. You could have been in another state, with receipts and other evidence to prove it, and you would still be responsible for someone else's actions. There a 6 defenses; the police told you to do it, you were speeding to get out of the way of a police car or ambulance or fire truck, you are driving a police car or ambulance or fire truck AND you were responding to a call, the driver did not have express or implied permission to drive the vehicle, your plate was stolen and that theft was reported in a timely manner, or you sold the car before the incident.

From the New Orleans ordinance:
    A vehicle owner may prove by a preponderance of the evidence at the hearing that any of the following circumstances apply and thereby qualifies as an affirmative defense to the imposition of civil liability.
    (1)The operator of the motor vehicle was acting in compliance with the lawful order or direction of a law enforcement or public safety officer;
    (2)The operator of the motor vehicle violated the instructions of the speed limit sign in an effort to move out of the way of an immediately approaching authorized emergency vehicle;
    (3)The motor vehicle was being operated as an authorized emergency vehicle under R.S. 32:24, and the operator was acting in compliance with R.S. 32:24;
    (4)The motor vehicle was being operated by a person other than the owner of the vehicle without the consent of the owner, express or implied.
    (5)The license plate depicted in the recorded image of the violation was a stolen plate and being displayed on a motor vehicle other than the motor vehicle for which the plate had been issued, if at the time of the violation the motor vehicle displayed a stolen plate, which must include proof acceptable to the hearing officer to prove that the theft of the vehicle or license plate had been timely reported to the appropriate law enforcement agency.
    (6)The person who received the notice of violation was not the owner of the motor vehicle at the time of the violation

The reason I don't pay photo tickets goes back to me having to deal with the city of New Orleans on a speeding ticket I paid. I thought $500 was the norm for a ticket in New Orleans and since I was speeding, I went and paid it. Months later when it came time to renew my insurance my premium tripled. I called them and they said it was because I had a reckless operation ticket. I told them I had a speeding ticket. The cop put the wrong RS code on the ticket either by mistake, or on purpose. I tried dealing with the city to get it corrected and they said since I paid the ticket there was nothing they can do. I had to pay higher premiums for 3 years because of this a$$hole, but maybe it's my fault I didn't look up the RS code myself before paying it. Ever since I have refused to pay Photo enforced tickets and if an NOPD lights me up I hit the gas and they have to catch me. So far I've been lucky and was able to get away before they got my plate number twice. In another month I will have no reason to travel to New Orleans or Westwego again.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    The reason I don't pay photo tickets goes back to me having to deal with the city of New Orleans on a speeding ticket I paid. I thought $500 was the norm for a ticket in New Orleans and since I was speeding, I went and paid it. Months later when it came time to renew my insurance my premium tripled. I called them and they said it was because I had a reckless operation ticket. I told them I had a speeding ticket. The cop put the wrong RS code on the ticket either by mistake, or on purpose. I tried dealing with the city to get it corrected and they said since I paid the ticket there was nothing they can do. I had to pay higher premiums for 3 years because of this a$$hole, but maybe it's my fault I didn't look up the RS code myself before paying it. Ever since I have refused to pay Photo enforced tickets and if an NOPD lights me up I hit the gas and they have to catch me. So far I've been lucky and was able to get away before they got my plate number twice. In another month I will have no reason to travel to New Orleans or Westwego again.

Dammmm it Grandpa, You deserve a medal for giving ''The Man'' the ol one finger salute, No telling how many sow boys minds you're gonna blow when they read this....lol

Last edited:

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Wait wait wait, you are openly admitting to running from the police...because of...camera tickets...Bro.

In Nola I Didn't pay mine. Till one day they booted my car. I was parked on the side of a street and I guess one of the reader vans got my plate.

It was an electronic boot I called the place gave them my cc number typed in a code and it came off.

Any idea what happens if you royally **** up their boot? Or what if you just take it off yourself and dump it somewhere? Do they come after you more, then? lol

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    If you don't return the boot in three days they charge x amount to the cc you paid to get it off with.

I guess my question was more of a hypothetical question regarding taking the boot off without paying...:mamoru:

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    So far I've been lucky and was able to get away before they got my plate number twice. In another month I will have no reason to travel to New Orleans or Westwego again.
    So let me guess you also have switches that flip your plate, put out a smoke screen and one for an oil slick too.

El Pozzinator

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 29, 2012
    Denham springs LA
    If you don't return the boot in three days they charge x amount to the cc you paid to get it off with.

What’s that commercial say?

“xx credit card never holds you responsible for unauthorized charges on your account”

Hello? Credit card? Yeah, I authorized *this* but definitely not *that*... please block that charge and list the charging terminal as fraudulent.

**I know, I know, it doesn’t work. But there is that whole “face your accuser” thing. Til the camera operator (or the company which monitors it remotely and keeps 80% of the levied fine like school bus cameras) sends a ton of certified mail notices and sends someone to town to sit thru 3-4 days of traffic court. Then when you fail to show, it’s presumably on you since it’s civil. Plus court costs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EJAIII

Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Mar 18, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    There are cameras all over the city. However, there are cameras up and down Sherwood Forest, and two on Coursey Blvd. I can't begin to tell you how much money I've had to pay because the wife and son were running them quicker than I could pay them. We fintally had a come to Jesus meeting. I told them that THEY would have to pay the tickets, but only after I slapped the shi! out of them.

Top Bottom