Red light tickets...

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • longdude17

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    So, what’s the skinny on the legality of having to pay for a red light ticket?

Long story, but around the time I sold my previous house a year ago, apparently my wife’s car was photographed not coming to a complete stop at coursey and Sherwood.

A few months later, like 6 months later, I have mail forwarded to the new house and apparently I have a mailed to me ticket for a few hundred bucks. Not sure who was driving the car, but a rolling stop will will def get your picture taken.

So.... what’s the legality of having to pay these? Can they force you with collections? I personally think this is a **** way for br to get revenue,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Redd508

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 18, 2012
    Lafayette
    There was a lawsuit a few years ago.

I wouldn’t pay it.

This. Lafayette had a big show with lawyers on the news and radio for a while. Amnesty from late fees if you paid your fine by a certain date. After that prosecutions, booted cars and higher fines. Less than half of the tickets were paid in total. Then the cameras came down and we havent seen them since.

Xeon64

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 26, 2021
    Prairieville, LA
    It is a civil penalty not a criminal penalty. That is how they get around the constitutionally of it. If you don't pay it will eventually ding your credit score and if you have to go get any state documents like a license, license plate, etc they won't issue one until you pay.

Think there is like an 80 Million Dollar Back log of unpaid red light camera tickets. Why my license plate is always cover with MUD!

Vigilante Sniper

Guns are my crack!!
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    LaPlace
    I got one in NOLA and Westwego, haven't paid them and never will, one 6 years ago and the other two years ago. When I retire in April I will never travel through them cities again anyway.

swampfoxx

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2014
    Ponchatoula, LA
    Sherwood and Coursey is their moneybag operation. I'll bet 90% of their tickets are generated there just as you stated, "Not coming to a complete stop before turning right". Never pay a red light camera ticket. They can't come after you and they can't ding your credit report. I have had several red light tickets in BR, several speed camera tickets in Baker, and a speed camera ticket in NOLA over the last 10 years. Never paid any of them and no consequences.

CatCam

Ready, Shoot, Aim!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    Red light ticket is going to be cheap compared to what you will have to pay each year to cross the Belle Chasse Bridge in the near future. The new bridge is going to be a toll bridge.....you will pay both ways.....and if you don't pay the next time your driver's license or vehicle registration comes up it will be flagged for non-payment PLUS hefty penalties.
    This is a P3 project so LADOT has their claws in it.
    If you have a boat attached to your truck it will cost you $6 EACH WAY to cross!
    Belle Chasse is royally getting f@cked on this deal.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    Red light ticket is going to be cheap compared to what you will have to pay each year to cross the Belle Chasse Bridge in the near future. The new bridge is going to be a toll bridge.....you will pay both ways.....and if you don't pay the next time your driver's license or vehicle registration comes up it will be flagged for non-payment PLUS hefty penalties.
    If you have a boat attached to your truck it will cost you $6 EACH WAY to cross!

Don't use it then.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0

Pfft, I always took my plate off going to Fourchon, They must like taking pictures of Ford tailgates?

BlueShamu

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 21, 2015
    D'town
    I had the radar cam in Lafitte flash me in my face the other day.

I was pulling a very large boat...so, not sure if they got my truck plate or not. No way they got the boat trailer plate..it’s on the opposite fender with a lot of boat next to it.

I’ll keep y’all posted if I get an envelope from Jefferson Parish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River

I thought I read residents of the parish will only pay 25 cents.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    It is a civil penalty not a criminal penalty. That is how they get around the constitutionally of it. If you don't pay it will eventually ding your credit score and if you have to go get any state documents like a license, license plate, etc they won't issue one until you pay.

Think there is like an 80 Million Dollar Back log of unpaid red light camera tickets. Why my license plate is always cover with MUD!

Unless it's been changed in the last few years, New Orleans didn't have any mechanism in place to collect outstanding balances other than to boot the vehicle if it was parked on public property. They couldn't get you in a private lot or in your driveway. It was never reported to any creditors so it never affected your credit rating. And because it's a civil penalty and not a traffic ticket, it never affected any state documents. You could have a balance and still get a license. The state would not be made aware of a civil penalty issued by a municipality. In addition, the balance was connected to the plate, not the owner. So if the owner got a new car and traded in the old one, there was nothing New Orleans could do to collect any penalty.

Vigilante Sniper

Guns are my crack!!
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    LaPlace

I have never had my license renewal flagged or my CCW permit not renewed because I didn't pay a red light ticket. It never went on my credit report either. They have to give due process before they can do that.

XD-GEM

XD-GEM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    New Orleans
    Unless it's been changed in the last few years, New Orleans didn't have any mechanism in place to collect outstanding balances other than to boot the vehicle if it was parked on public property. They couldn't get you in a private lot or in your driveway. It was never reported to any creditors so it never affected your credit rating. And because it's a civil penalty and not a traffic ticket, it never affected any state documents. You could have a balance and still get a license. The state would not be made aware of a civil penalty issued by a municipality. In addition, the balance was connected to the plate, not the owner. So if the owner got a new car and traded in the old one, there was nothing New Orleans could do to collect any penalty.

I think it's still that way. They drive around with a license plate reader and boot anyone that they get a hit on. I see the boots in Treme a lot.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Isn't due process met by sending you the ticket with the opportunity to present your case in a hearing?

I would think not. You never have the opportunity to face your accuser at the hearing. And due process would involve making sure you are actually guilty of the infraction for which you are being penalized. As it stands, if you go to the hearing and say that you didn't run the red light, they won't care. You're responsible for the penalty whether or not you committed the violation that led to the penalty. The only way out of it is to bring in a police report showing your car had been reported stolen at the time the violation occurred. In other words, if you get a "ticket" in the mail (or even if you never get that ticket in the mail), it's assumed you are guilty and are responsible for the penalty. I don't think that meets the requirements of due process.

Xenon

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jul 30, 2010
    Metairie
    I would think that a hearing would allow consideration and presentation of evidence if you were to have it, i.e. their own facial picture that is not you, or an alibi of not being anywhere near the intersection, etc.

I've found that most "don't care" when you are charged with anything, but if you have a chance to disprove the charge in a hearing and present the facts contrary, then you are afforded due process.

However, I do agree that failing certified mail or personally serving the notification is not proof that you were actually afforded the hearing opportunity, but most people do receive it in the regular mail under normal circumstances.

Top Bottom