Trying to find out if I can Legally own a gun.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Ok so I'm legal, I can get one according toy father and sister who both know the process and so on, now, I just need to get or find a stainless silencer for it, and to those asking why I need or want a silencer, umm, because as an autistic guy I don't like loud sounds and this will help make the boom boom boom more like a pew pew pew, lol and it looks cool AF, MANDO BLASTER! My budget is $1300 and the best part it's legal AF in my state
    Nah you ain't, Somehow you knew the answer before you posted here, You trolling us bruh?

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Ok so I'm legal, I can get one according toy father and sister who both know the process and so on, now, I just need to get or find a stainless silencer for it, and to those asking why I need or want a silencer, umm, because as an autistic guy I don't like loud sounds and this will help make the boom boom boom more like a pew pew pew, lol and it looks cool AF, MANDO BLASTER! My budget is $1300 and the best part it's legal AF in my state
    I'm also leaning towards you trolling us, but on the off chance that you aren't, I want to go on record stating that maybe you shouldn't buy a firearm.

No one on a firearm board is going to question why anyone would "need or want" a suppressor. Most of us have them. But, you coming here referencing firearms as "blasters" and the likes makes it sound like you have a very naive, childish approach to weapons that are not toys.

What would you answer for question 21.g on the ATF Form 4473, "Have you ever been committed to a mental institution?"

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2024
    Gonzales, LA
    I'm also leaning towards you trolling us, but on the off chance that you aren't, I want to go on record stating that maybe you shouldn't buy a firearm.

No one on a firearm board is going to question why anyone would "need or want" a suppressor. Most of us have them. But, you coming here referencing firearms as "blasters" and the likes makes it sound like you have a very naive, childish approach to weapons that are not toys.

What would you answer for question 21.g on the ATF Form 4473, "Have you ever been committed to a mental institution?"
    Ok so as I stated before I only wanted one because loud noises make me nervous and make me jump, the quieter it is the more easier it will be for me to shoot. My father and I are going to a gun show soon, we will be going to a gun range and doing more together.

I'm not trying to troll anyone, I just want to have more hobbies with my father and I figured this can be something we can do together. While it's legal for me to shoot where I live, I don't want to disturb my neighbors by by shooting 22 every day, I'm sure anyone would get tired of hearing 22 shots every day, which is also why I wanted a suppressor.

Please everyone don't mistake, I'm not trying to troll anyone, I'm really not. I'm very serious about wanting a 22, I've always loved the Ruger 2 because as a huge STARWARS fan who crushes on padme Amidala, I've always thought they look like her blaster.

I mean come on who doesn't think the Ruger mk 2 stainless looks cool as hell.

But seriously, to put everyone's doughnuts to rest, I truthfully am not trying to troll anyone.

It's just I really don't want to ruin my life by braking a law I didn't understand, that's why I came here, to ask about and learn the laws to better understand them so I can responsibility and legally purchase a Ruger so I can go shooting with my father and friends alike.

Look ask me anything and I'll try my best to explain it but to those who thought I was trolling you, I am sorry I came across to you that way.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2024
    Gonzales, LA
    Your mention of the Naboo blaster tells me that you are a Star Wars fan in addition to being an anime fan. Your father's belief that you are not mature enough to own a Ruger .22 target pistol for range use based on your anime cosplay hobby is invalid.
    I personally know police officers, military veterans, members of the military, and civilian gun owners who cosplay Star Wars, Star Trek, anime, and several other franchises. They cosplay at conventions, special events, and march in parades like Krewe of Tucks.
    I'm certain your father finds the cosplay hobby to be weird, but he is simply wrong about using it as a basis to deny you a recreational firearm.
    Yea well, my father is has called me stupid, grow the fu** up, and calls people who like anime retards, uneducated ECT, he's very rude and disrespectful when it comes to anime, so it's not truly invalid, he's actually called people dumba**es in Walmart for wearing cartoony shirts, just yesterday he said out loud in Walmart "This fu***g country is filled with dumba**es people need to grow tf up" he has always been like this, he's starting to take me seriously about my desire for a gun now because he sees in serious but I wasn't joking about what I said, for years he's thought I was too immature and irresponsible vto own a gun because of my love of cartoony and anime stuff, I had to quit cosplaying because of him, he literally won't take me to a comicon if I don't dress up and he's my only means of transportation atm,

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2024
    Gonzales, LA
    Nah you ain't, Somehow you knew the answer before you posted here, You trolling us bruh?
    No I'm not trolling anyone, and I'm still unsure about that question on the application

"Have you ever been adjucated of a mental defective OR involuntary been committed to a psychiatric facility"

I don't know if I should say yes because I was at age 10, or say no because I currently have no mental diagnosis except Asperger's syndrome.

Toodamgoofy

Don’t sweat the petty stuff, pet the sweaty stuff
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 4, 2022
    Tioga, Louisiana
    Miya if I were you I would probably listen to your dad because he knows more about you than anyone here. Now if you still want or need a weapon for protection or to have fun with then maybe you could encourage your dad to take you to a local gun range and shoot with him and let him teach you weapon safety and maybe you can change his mind about you actually owning one. Welcome to our little crazy home

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    No I'm not trolling anyone, and I'm still unsure about that question on the application

"Have you ever been adjucated of a mental defective OR involuntary been committed to a psychiatric facility"

I don't know if I should say yes because I was at age 10, or say no because I currently have no mental diagnosis except Asperger's syndrome.
    You should absolutely say "yes."

While it's not what you wanted to hear, I don't think you will be legally allowed to own a firearm. But, you can definitely go with your dad (under his supervision) and have a great time :)

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    I'm questioning your decision making for a different reason.

I know the Mk II has the best controls of all the Mk series, and is well liked, . . . but.
    Have you ever tried to put one back together ? You've got to stand on one foot, dance in a circle while holding your tongue just right to get it back together.

The Mk IV, you put it on safe and push a button. That's it. No dance.
    I shoot a suppressed Mk IV every weekend. You can get one new.

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA

For clarity, I will explain to you the association between actual firearms and Star Wars. These discussions actually take place on various cosplay forums most notably between cosplayers who own guns in an effort to make accurate blaster props for the hobby.
    Much of Star Wars is based on WW2 including the dogfights and ball turrets on space ships. All of the blasters in the original film(Star Wars Episode 4) were made from actual WW2 firearms and you can see the smoke from the blanks being fired on set. The Stormtrooper E-11 was a modified Sterling SMG with a crude optic added and magazine cut to 10 rounds. Han Solo's blaster was a Mauser C-96 with a scope. Princess Lea's blaster was a Luger with a crude barrel extension. The Jawa and Sand people blasters were made with various Enfield bolt-action rifles. There are more examples and technical details that I won't get into here. This is intended to be a general explanation.

Does anyone here remember Larry the "Saints Fett?"Before he passed away, he would cosplay as a New Orleans themed Boba Fett in full 'black and gold" painted armor and helmet. He would entertain kids and fans outside the Superdome and danced along with a jazz band on the home side of the 600 level during games. Poor Larry never drove a car and depended on a circle of friends including myself to help him get to Saints events and parades where he marched as part of the 501st Legion(Star Wars cosplay club.) He even visited patients at Children's Hospital as Saints Fett with Darth Vader and Stormtrooper cosplayers.
    Like the OP here, Larry suffered from the same condition. He didn't like loud noises and owned a collection of airsoft and .22 handguns. An Air Force T/SGT who was a 501st cosplayer took him to the outdoor range at Honey Island to enjoy the.22 only range there.
    My overall point here is that the gun hobby and the cosplay hobby are weird to some people and even more weird when combined to others, but in no way makes one a danger to others like mundane liberals would want you to believe.

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.

"Have you ever been adjudicated of a mental defective OR involuntary been committed to a psychiatric facility"

Question 21.g. Adjudicated as a Mental Defective: A determination by a court, board, commission, or other lawful authority that a person, as a result of marked subnormal intelligence, or mental illness, incompetency, condition, or disease: (1) is a danger to himself or to others; or (2) lacks the mental capacity to contract or manage his own affairs. This term shall include: (1) a finding of insanity by a court in a criminal case; and (2) those persons found incompetent to stand trial or found not guilty by reason of lack of mental responsibility.

Last edited:

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA

I know the Mk II has the best controls of all the Mk series, and is well liked, . . . but.
    Have you ever tried to put one back together ? You've got to stand on one foot, dance in a circle while holding your tongue just right to get it back together.

I hear you, and that is an excellent point. I have the MK4 for the same reason. However, his love for the stainless MK2 is based on the strong resemblance to Padme's Naboo blaster from Star Wars Episodes 1-3. This romanticism with that "blaster" is no different than the romanticism surrounding the good ole GI 1911 .45ACP.

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    Miya if I were you I would probably listen to your dad because he knows more about you than anyone here. Now if you still want or need a weapon for protection or to have fun with then maybe you could encourage your dad to take you to a local gun range and shoot with him and let him teach you weapon safety and maybe you can change his mind about you actually owning one. Welcome to our little crazy home
    Bingo! The most ideal situation is for him to safely enjoy recreational shooting with his Father or a close friend for the reasons you stated. Excellent point!

Toodamgoofy

Don’t sweat the petty stuff, pet the sweaty stuff
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 4, 2022
    Tioga, Louisiana
    Bingo! The most ideal situation is for him to safely enjoy recreational shooting with his Father or a close friend for the reasons you stated. Excellent point!
    I think miya is a female but not quite sure lol but I am glad I finally said something right lol

Richard Michael

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 20, 2021
    Walker, La.

So that is how you do it!!! I have hated that gun for that specific reason. Thank God for the markIV

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Fanblade1
    Top Bottom