Reloading 45 acp

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mac 1

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 5, 2012
    Welsh, LA
    Fellas,

I am in the process of reloading (first time) 45 acp. I have reloaded quite a few 9mm rounds with no problems and concluded that I could reload 45 using the same basic technique. That is not the case. The problem I have concerns the expansion of the brass prior to powder and bullet insertion. I have resized and deprimed the brass. Separated it by head stamp. I am using Lyman dies and expanding the brass to fit the bullet. I fit a couple of bullets to make sure everything was working before continuing with expansion of all of the brass. Here lies my problem, when I press the bullet, the brass cuts into the bullet. When I expand the brass more to account for this, I cannot get the brass/bullet combination into the bullet die press because the brass is now expanded too much. In both cases, after fitting a bullet, the round will not go into my go no go gauge (Frankford Arsenal gauge). The guy I bought the dies from also included some rounds that he had made and they will not go into the go no go gauge either, (I am NOT going to use/shoot those rounds regardless). I would appreciate any help/info you guys could throw my way.

Mac

dmiculek

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 1, 2006
    Gramercy
    Do you have a separate taper crimp die?

Flare the case mouth just enough to seat the bullet w/o cutting/scraping the bullet during the seat process. Apply just enough taper crimp to remove the flare and hold the bullet in place during cycling. On a 45 acp the case mouth should measure .469-.471 after it taper crimped.

Last edited:

4sooth

enthusiast
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Reloading manuals are full of misleading advice concerning the .45 ACP cartridge. "You can't crimp the case mouth because it headspaces on the case mouth" is one of the worst. Auotloading pistol cases get SHORTER as they are fired--not longer. This is due to the battering of the rim during firing, ejection, and then striking the ground. A new, unfired case should measure .898 overall length. It is rare to find a spent case this long. As Donnie said--get a separate taper crimp die and crimp as a separate operation. The factory dies seat and crimp as one operation and this feature frequently creates the "shaved lead" issue!

Mac 1

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 5, 2012
    Welsh, LA
    Reloading 45acp

Thank you gentlemen Everything works perfectly now after using the taper/crimp die. Like you said 4sooth, the instructions concerning tapering are not very clear. I can change my Icon to a smile now.

dougstump

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    x
    Mac,

Try using a Lee carbide factory crimp die. Adjust your seating die to only seat the bullet and remove most or all of the mouth flare. Use the Lee FCD as the last step to apply the necessary crimp. It also re-resizes the round making sure it will chamber. If you are in the Shreveport-Bossier City area, PM me and I'll bring my die over so you can give it a "test drive".

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/716704/lee-carbide-factory-crimp-die-45-acp-45-auto-rim

Mac 1

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 5, 2012
    Welsh, LA
    Thanks for the offer Doug. I made 16 rounds using the Lyman set up and it seems to be working now. I shot 16 rounds with a couple of stove pipes. I think I need to tweek the recipe up a little and I should be good. Thanks again.

leeshall

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Suburban NOLA
    A lot of people don't like the Lee Factory Crimp Die for cast or swaged bullets for pistol or revolver loads. It seems that in addition to crimping, as previously stated by others, the loaded round is also full length sized. What can happen is the bullet can be sized smaller than wanted and that can result in poor accuracy, gas cutting around the bullet and barrel leading. Please note that I said "can result". Some folks swear by the Lee FCD for pistol and revolver loads and some swear at it. The Lee FCD for rifle cartridges is a whole different animal.
    Your milage may vary.

Ronson2

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2013
    Slidell,La
    Have you measured the bullets themselves, using a micrometer, they may be a bit oversized and need a seperate procedure called sizing with a die called a sizing die which can be purchased in different sizes in .001 increments. Hope this helps, for more info try the Lyman reloading manual.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom