Report on Disarm Class

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dawg23

Resident Dimwit
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 17, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    A few weeks ago there was a thread here concerning a disarm class that was scheduled for Baton Rouge. The class was held february 24, with 18 students attending.

Here's a link to a thread on Glock Talk where one of the students posted an AAR. It might be of interest to folks here in the event that they have an opportunity in the future to take one of these classes.

http://www.glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=661470

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    I really hope thats airsoft they are pointing at each other... plastic training guns are cheap and take alot of abuse, if I were teaching such a class I'd invest!

glad you guys learned something

dawg23

Resident Dimwit
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 17, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    I really hope thats airsoft they are pointing at each other... plastic training guns are cheap and take alot of abuse, if I were teaching such a class I'd invest!

glad you guys learned something

Safety was priority #1 (and always is with William).

He had a number of training pistols with him, plus the ones I brought. But most students preferred to work with their real weapons (blue guns are much lighter than real ones). So William provided plastic safety plugs that prevented the chambering of a round. As a redundant measure he also taped the slide shut on each weapon (you'll see the blue tape in some of the photos).

Additionally, before any of the "hands on" instruction, every student was required to remove all potential weapons (guns, knives, keys, pens, pepper spray, etc). Then every student was searched. And any time a student left the classroom (for example, to go to the restroom), he or she was searched upon re-entry. (Yes, we had women students - three to be exact).

If you noticed the names of some of the instructors who commented in the Glock Talk thread (Massad Ayoob, Tom Givens, et al), you'll gain an even better appreciation of the training opportunity that was available.

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    Sounds good, I still wouldnt want to use my own weapon, I've seen enough training guns get slapped across the room in my own training to make me not want to use mine.

dawg23

Resident Dimwit
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 17, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    Sounds good, I still wouldnt want to use my own weapon, I've seen enough training guns get slapped across the room in my own training to make me not want to use mine.

You need to get a Glock - adding dents and scratches will usually improve its appearance.:D

SKYWLKR

bread and circuses
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Feb 26, 2007
    There was a ruger (the one in the first pic)that was tossed at least 3 times and drop once and I think a revolver got tossed and possibly a Sig...

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    You need to get a Glock - adding dents and scratches will usually improve its appearance.:D

Glocks are the only pistols I own, and I think they look mighty fine! They get their share of abuse between daily and duty carry, just not big on intentionally abusing items that required a large monetary investment on my part and I need to have in top working condition to pay the bills.

dawg23

Resident Dimwit
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 17, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    Glocks are the only pistols I own, and I think they look mighty fine!

Didn't mean to offend. That's what the ":D " smilie was supposed to help avoid.

I carry every minute I'm outside my home. And I always carry a Glock.

Inside my home I always have pretty quick access to a firearms (handguns or "real" firearms). Those handguns are all Glocks.

I don't abuse them, but I surely don't worry about scratches or nicks. Mine are tools. I don't carry a handgun that I'd be afraid to drop.

I am ashamed to admit that I own 12 Glocks (in 9mm, .40 and .45 ACP). Ashamed, because they are all very ugly.:D

Last edited:
    Top Bottom