Reputable Dog Breeders

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • parallel

Often Beside Himself
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    LaPlace, Louisiana
    I am in the market for a puppy for my four year old. I am on the fence (Isaiah will end up deciding) between a rescue dog and a pure bred of undetermined breed. I was wondering if y'all had any input on breeders in case we go the pure breed route.

blackboltss

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    Slidell
    I am breeding my AKC Ch bloodline Doberman late september with another AKC Ch Bloodline dobe.... let me know if you are interested and i'll post up some pics. Dobermans get a bad rap but they are great dogs and good with family's and small children.

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    If your research draws you toward a boxer then let me know. The breeder we got mine from lives in Theodore, Al and are well known for their dog's bloodline. They show their dogs, but there are a few puppies in each litter that will go as pets. Do a google search for "ABSOLUTE SUNRISE OF BULLOCK" and you'll see the sire of my Krieger.

Bayoupiper

New Curmudgeon
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Iowa, LA
    If your research draws you toward a boxer then let me know. The breeder we got mine from lives in Theodore, Al and are well known for their dog's bloodline. They show their dogs, but there are a few puppies in each litter that will go as pets. Do a google search for "ABSOLUTE SUNRISE OF BULLOCK" and you'll see the sire of my Krieger.

+1!

Bullock's boxers are just about the best there are!

American and Canadian champs.

whbonney26

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    if you go with a purebred, make sure you read up on the specific dog you want. purebreds were bred for 200 years to serve a purpose. you can't buy a basset hound and expect it to not howl. that's what it was specifically bread for.

too many times have i had a friend get a dog because he/she liked the way the dog looked and did no research on what it's specific use was. i had a friend just a few years ago who bought a siberian husky and complained all the time that it was so active. it's a work dog bred to pull sleds, of course it's going to want to go outside and be walked alot. yes it's going to tear stuff up in your house out of boredom when there's 200 years of instinct to be a hard worker.

honestly, the best dogs i've ever owned were mutts rescued from a shelter and given a good home. i think that those dogs know just how bad their life is when you rescue them and they become the most grateful and loyal friends you've ever had.

PS if you do go with a breeder, please please please do some research in it as well first. don't support puppy mills and inbreeding.

+1 on all of this. I have been doing some serious reading here lately on Beagles cause that is what we want to get in the near future once our fence is up and secure. Came across lots warning of puppy mills. I def. dont want to support that. I want to find a good breeder who really cares for the dogs they breed.

f350drvr

Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jun 16, 2008
    NOLA
    honestly, the best dogs i've ever owned were mutts rescued from a shelter and given a good home. i think that those dogs know just how bad their life is when you rescue them and they become the most grateful and loyal friends you've ever had.

This has been my experience as well.

blackboltss

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    Slidell
    i agree... if it does not matter to you if its purebred or a mutt I say Go get a shelter dog they have a lot of awesome dogs that deserve a good and loving home

whbonney26

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    i agree... if it does not matter to you if its purebred or a mutt I say Go get a shelter dog they have a lot of awesome dogs that deserve a good and loving home

Petsmart on Saturdays usually have shelters come in with several dogs for adoption. Some very nice dogs there usually.

Edit; not sure if all PetSmarts do this but the one in Slidell does.

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    if you go with a purebred, make sure you read up on the specific dog you want. purebreds were bred for 200 years to serve a purpose. you can't buy a basset hound and expect it to not howl. that's what it was specifically bread for.

PS if you do go with a breeder, please please please do some research in it as well first. don't support puppy mills and inbreeding.

+100

Puppy mills suck.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    +1 on Doberman's being a fantastic dog! Best dog I ever had. Unbelievably intelligent.
    That being said I opted for a chocolate lab this time around. Dobies' require a lot of time, attention, and effort. My chocolate is unbelievably tolerant, which is what I was after. She has put up with more pulling, yanking, tugging, being climbed on, etc. from my daughter (and our friend's kids)without ever a negative reaction. Sometimes if she gets too much she gets up and walks to another room for a minute, then she's back for more abuse. I couldn't ask for a better dog in that regard. HOWEVER, be warned, chocolate (especially) labs are hyper active and mischevious. Her favorite game when we're not paying enough attention to her is to steal something of importance (checkbook, bills, daughter's favorite stuffed animal, etc.) and stay just out of reach under the kitchen table.
    We tried the pound dog before getting my lab. We picked out a loveable mixed black lab/australian sheppard that was about a year old. We got her home, she seemed very good w/ my daughter. The next day she went after the dog behind us. We quickly discovered she did not get along w/ most other dogs. Serious dominance issues. It was hard bringing her back to the pound. My daughter was heartbroken...

parallel

Often Beside Himself
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    LaPlace, Louisiana
    Should be breeding my English bulldogs later on in the year (AKC).

I am breeding my AKC Ch bloodline Doberman late september with another AKC Ch Bloodline dobe.... let me know if you are interested and i'll post up some pics. Dobermans get a bad rap but they are great dogs and good with family's and small children.
    Thanks y'all, but we are ready now.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lacajun
    Top Bottom