Rifle side match after EAPS June 21st

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Golden Dragon

Stay Alert.... Stay Alive
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    171   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Mandeville
    "I see you lurking, Golden Dragon...planning on coming out to play?"

JPShootah will be there for the Wongs

Last edited:

BayouSlide

See ya at the range
    Rating - 100%
    80   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    On the Bayou Teche, La.
    So school me on what is an open AR? I know if you have 2 optics that is an open gun but just having a bipod makes it open as well?

Basically in USPSA rifle division, you can have two optical sighting systems, such as a scope and a red dot, a bipod and compensator/muzzle break above the size allowed in the other classes, which is maximum 1.00” diameter and 3.00” length (the JP "Tank Break" is a good example of "above"). Most standard comps like the Miculek, etc. are GTG in other classes.

Tactical class can have one optical system and a set of BUIS.

Limited is irons only.

Last edited:

BayouSlide

See ya at the range
    Rating - 100%
    80   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    On the Bayou Teche, La.
    Are you going to laugh at me trying to hit steel with my baby EO-Tech, I've never shot it at that distance before, :I think I better double plug:redfinger:

Nah, just feel sorry for ya ;) Just use the force, Luke, you'll be fine :D

Don't get me wrong. I love my EOtech. But the big dot and lack of magnification can make it tough at distance.

I was checking zero on mine Saturday before they posted more info on the side match...the dot pretty much obscures a 2 in. bull at 50 yards, and many people's eyes have a touch of astigmatism which elongates/defocuses the EOTech dot—mine and JPShootah's included because we discussed this recently. Personally, when the match goes beyond 125 yd, the EOTech stays at home for these eyes. Nothing faster IMO for close stuff, but to reach out and touch small steel at 200 plus, I want something with 4X magnification.

My original comment came from watching a number of iron shooters at the Steel City Tactical Carbine Championship...most of the ones in our squad just send a round downrange for each of the steel beyond 200 yards, unloaded and took the penalties. Couldn't blame 'em...irons at range are TOUGH with the honkin' big sights on most ARs, IMO.

Somebody like Kurt Miller or Trapr Swanson who can REALLY shoot irons...:bowdown:...:bowdown:...:bowdown:

BayouSlide

See ya at the range
    Rating - 100%
    80   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    On the Bayou Teche, La.
    Well that sucks. A 21" heavy barrel is not exactly the easiest gun to stablize free hand.

You're young and strong ;)

I thought the 20" HBAR on my new rifle was going to be too slow after using a 16 in., but now I barely notice the extra length even on the quick close range stuff. Takes longer to get it into and out of tight ports, though :rofl:

At most matches, you end up taking the longer shots from a supported position...barricades, prone, barrels, sandbags, a roof line, etc.

Top Bottom