Right to bear arms at heart of high court case

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    We could have gone further. I think they could have repealed the machine gun ban with this SC!
    But its good... Of course we're about to have Obama as president... in two years we'll all be praying 5 times a day to the East...

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I don't know about that. I read the transcripts. They were going along with 'weapons in common usage'. AR's w/ 3 shot burst settings are what is in common usage by the military and the national guard.
    What concerns me about that is if a sitting president as commander in chief decides the US military isn't going to use handguns anymore. They could all switch for full auto personal defense weapons. Then handguns are not going to be considered 'in common usage by the military'. This SC wouldn't let that happen, but who knows what the SC will look like in 10 to 20 years.

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    My personal opinion is there will always be a need for side arms in the military and they will be common weapons in usage. ie Rangers, Seals, pilots.

tunatuk

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 30, 2007
    Ascension Parish
    We haven't won yet fellas. Just because this is what they are saying now, does not necessarily mean that this is what will be written in the decisions. We won't know the true outcome or scope of this case until a few months from now.

I'm not trying to be pessimistic, but realistic. We still have a ways to go ahead of us.

Nick

a.k.a. Nick™
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    We haven't won yet fellas. Just because this is what they are saying now, does not necessarily mean that this is what will be written in the decisions. We won't know the true outcome or scope of this case until a few months from now.

I'm not trying to be pessimistic, but realistic. We still have a ways to go ahead of us.
    exactly... I'm debating if I should go buy an AR tomorrow or wait and possibly get a real M4.... it could seriously swing either way that far.

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    The way the Court is aligned you have 4 conservative justices and 4 liberal justices and Kennedy in the middle, floating between the two. we will likely get a plurality decision that finds the 2nd is an individual right subject to "reasonable" restrictions. Both sides will claim victory. We will have to continue to fight at every turn.

Today Kennedy sided with the liberals to strike down the LA law providing for the death penalty for child rapists. That is who all of our hopes are riding with. I am not feeling too confident that we will have a real clear ut victory and I am bracing myself for the very real possiblity that he will vote with the liberals and screw our pooch completely.

we shall see tomorrow.

Dan

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    My throat and chest tightens up every time I think about it. I heard the verdict on the rape case today on the radio and all I could think about is "when's the dc ban case going to be announced?!?!"

So many people feel so confident about it, but I just don't know. "Both sides will claim victory" is probably right, and I really hope this is a landmark pro-gun decision, but I somehow don't think it will be.

artabr

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    New Iberia , Louisiana
    The only thing that gives me hope is that Justice Kennedy sounded extremely pro gun in the opening arguments of the case. He will be the swing vote. I just pray that he doesn't flip on us.

Art

swagge1

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge, LA
    10:13 Ben Winograd -
    The Court has released the opinion in District of Columbia v. Heller (07-290), on whether the District’s firearms regulations – which bar the possession of handguns and require shotguns and rifles to be kept disassembled or under trigger lock – violate the Second Amendment. The ruling below, which struck down the provisions in question, is affirmed.

Justice Scalia wrote the opinion. Justice Breyer dissented, joined by Justices Stevens, Souter and Ginsburg. We will provide a link to the decision as soon as it is available.

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    Answering a 127-year old constitutional question, the Supreme Court ruled on Thursday that the Second Amendment protects an individual right to have a gun, at least in one’s home. The Court, splitting 5-4, struck down a District of Columbia ban on handguns.\

:bowdown:

Top Bottom