Rock Island / Armscor 1911: Opinions?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jun 24, 2009
    Pineville/Alexandria
    I am a believer in "you get what you pay for", BUT….I've heard that these 45's are reasonably accurate and reliable so I ordered one from the "Hot Deals" link here. I know that they are made in the Philippines but their manufacturing credentials look ok.
    Anyone have personal experience with this pistol?

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    When I felt the Tactical models I ordered as many as I could afford, slides are slick and tight, there is no play in the slide. If I didn't already have a stable of 1911's I would keep one for myself. I am sending one off to get Hydrodipped, if it doesn't sell, I will keep it.

TecheTitan

You suck & HK hates you
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 21, 2009
    New Iberia, La
    Ed, I personally do not own one, but I did give a RIA to my father-in-law several years back. Several rounds through it later, he is very happy with it. In fact, just tonight, my daughters boyfriend was asking me about what kind of 1911 he should buy because he fell in love with my Kimber.

Yes. I know there are plenty of Kimber haters out there, but mine has been flawless.

Anyway, back on subject. I noticed a descent RIA 1911 for sale on CDNN today for less than $400, and suggested that he should buy it if he really wants one as he does not have the funds available for a high dollar model.

So, take it for what it is worth.

I would not buy it for personal protection or competion, but I think it would be a fine gun for play or casual shooting.

Last edited:

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    I have a first gen RIA GI .45acp. It's duracoated. Newer ones are park'd. Mine doesn't have the obnoxious billboard on the slide.

It's function is flawless. It has shot side by side with Colt Gold Cups and Kimbers. It shoots very well.

It will feed semi wad cutters, hollow points, ball munition and very small rocks without a hitch.

Only drawback is that I don't trust the cast frame with a .460 Rowland conversion. I'll have to find a milled frame for that.

If you're looking for a pistol that looks fancy and has lots of bling, buy a Kimber. If you are looking to get the most pistol for your buck, buy a RIA.

CUJOHUNTER

EARPLUGS??
    Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New Orleans
    Ed, you're not going to have any problems with the Rock Island 1911...... they are shooters. I hate paying for bling myself and I like Guns that work for less. Just like Glocks..... there not blingy but they work. RI 1911s won't fail you. They do what they're built to do.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jun 24, 2009
    Pineville/Alexandria
    Cool - I should be able to shoot again by May so I'll just fondle it till then, lol. Should be here early next week.
    Thanks for all the input - usually I ask for opinions BEFORE I buy but I couldn't pass up $319 shipped price.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    This is what a big time 1911 man had to say about the RIA in 1911.

Rock Island Armory Government

We’ll start off with Rock Island Armory. Their Government model is outstanding for the money. It’s got a decent trigger and solid reliability. It can still also be had for $400 or even less, making it one of the least expensive 1911s on the market. However, those seeking a true replica need to look elsewhere. The Rock Island lacks an arched mainspring housing or lanyard loop. It also has a lowered and flared ejection port, which helps feeding of defense ammo, and a beveled magwell. The Rock Island is actually close to a Springfield Mil Spec in configuration, but with GI sights and vertical slide serrations. If that’s important to you, the RIA is a nice choice. Personally, I like a more true-to-spec replica better, but that certainly doesn’t make the Rock Island a bad gun. On the contrary, these enhancements can likely make it a better range pistol. The grips are smooth wood examples that look nice, though are a bit slippery at times. The finish is an authentic looking parkerizing and the slide to frame fit is surprisingly tight with little side-to-side movement. Slide markings consist of *Rock Island Armory* and the logo on the left. The right side is clean. RIA 1911s are built in the Philippines by Armscor.

This 1911 uses no firing pin safety.

Unloaded weight: 39.8oz

Slide: Extruded carbon steel

Frame: Cast carbon steel

Country of origin: Philippines

Approximate 2011 street price: $400

http://www.armscor.com.ph/pistols_gi.htm

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Denham Springs (BR,Hammond area)
    My dad has a citadel officer model he bought to put a beating on at the range, and it never had a hitch. he carries a kimber because of the weight, but he would have no qualms carrying the citadel.

on a side note, this thread has generated nothing but positive feedback so far. what would a thread titled Kimber 1911: Opinions? look like?

Last edited:

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    My dad has a citadel officer model he bought to put a beating on at the range, and it never had a hitch. he carries a kimber because of the weight, but he would have no qualms carrying the citadel.

on a side note, this thread has generated nothing but positive feedback so far. what would a thread titled Kimber 1911: Opinions? look like?

I don't know, but 90% of my Kimbers sell before they make it to the shelf.

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jun 24, 2009
    Pineville/Alexandria

Interesting question. I like Kimbers also (and Colts, DWAs, NightHawks, and GIs, etc) and have several that function perfectly. But at 1/4 the money I could add better sights and a fancier finish to the RIA and still come out ahead!

Top Bottom