roof steam backing up into attic from gas heater

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • knitefall

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    20240120_080604.jpg

Getting excess water drip and steam backing up into rafters. Coming from heat pipe out of roof only after new roof, why? the company came and shortened the stack as it was pressed against the top of the boot on the roof. Thought that was it. Checked it a few days later and it was full of dampness from steam again. We’ve had no rain since I last blew a fan and dried it. It was cold last night and the unit came on. the other trane unit has no vapors like this and is perfect. but the hole cut out is smaller. not sure if excess gas burn-off or what. I don't smell any out of the pipe or inside. Needs a bigger vent out the top? they cut this big square hole but left the other alone and I have issues with this one only.

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    I had a new roof installed after Ida. After about 6 months one of the bedrooms started showing water buildup on the ceiling and within a week or so the ceiling caved in. Come to find out the roofing company did not cut any ridge vent. My air conditioning vents were getting soaked sweating and dripping onto the insulation and dry rock. The roofers literally just layed shingle down to make it appear as if they cut ridge vent but they didn’t.

I learned more about roofs after this incident than I ever wanted to know. I would check everything you can thoroughly or higher, a reputable roofing company to come and give you a second opinion.

foz1359

Time Traveler
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 18, 2013
    Jefferson Parish
    For entertainment purposes only...

"excess water drip" -as if any water drip is acceptable
    "steam backing up into rafters" -this is the very first time those words have EVER been strung together
    "heat pipe out of roof" -those nagging heat pipes
    "shortened the stack" -did it get lengthened in the 60+ years it's been up there?
    "trane unit has no vapors" -no words for this
    "excess gas burn off" -aka explosion
    "don't smell any out of the pipe" -please, step away from the pipe

theonlytalkinggoat

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2023
    Louisiana
    It doesn't sound like the attic is venting. You need to check the vents under the soffits and the vents at the gables. Is the exhaust vent for the heater clogged or stopped up? Is the evacuation fan working properly? When they go out, they might sound like they are running, but not actually be doing anything, just making noise. It may also be that the exhaust pipe is leaking.

If we are talking about your furnace in your central HVAC, when you click the heater on, you should hear a small fan running for about 30 seconds. That's the evacuation fan. The next steps usually happen in about 10-20 seconds... the heater will call for ignition and the igniter will glow (if it's electric.) The heater will call for gas. Gas will ignite. The heater will check for complete flame. The main blower will kick on.

knitefall

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    I had a new roof installed after Ida. After about 6 months one of the bedrooms started showing water buildup on the ceiling and within a week or so the ceiling caved in. Come to find out the roofing company did not cut any ridge vent. My air conditioning vents were getting soaked sweating and dripping onto the insulation and dry rock. The roofers literally just layed shingle down to make it appear as if they cut ridge vent but they didn’t.

I learned more about roofs after this incident than I ever wanted to know. I would check everything you can thoroughly or higher, a reputable roofing company to come and give you a second opinion.
    Hope you got it all sorted brother. thanks

knitefall

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    It doesn't sound like the attic is venting. You need to check the vents under the soffits and the vents at the gables. Is the exhaust vent for the heater clogged or stopped up? Is the evacuation fan working properly? When they go out, they might sound like they are running, but not actually be doing anything, just making noise. It may also be that the exhaust pipe is leaking.

If we are talking about your furnace in your central HVAC, when you click the heater on, you should hear a small fan running for about 30 seconds. That's the evacuation fan. The next steps usually happen in about 10-20 seconds... the heater will call for ignition and the igniter will glow (if it's electric.) The heater will call for gas. Gas will ignite. The heater will check for complete flame. The main blower will kick on.
    Yes it functions just like that. It goes through the entire process and heats perfectly

last year I replaced the circuit board. All has been well until after the new roof. The roofers took off 2 inches that go into the vent on the top of the roof, like there wasn't enough room for the venting to happen. It slowed it down but still collecting water. It's wet inside the single wall pipe. It blows on the inside of the roof vent, collects water and drips down. I have a twin unit and it does not do this. There is a turbine next rafter over. Strange issue

knitefall

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    For entertainment purposes only...

"excess water drip" -as if any water drip is acceptable
    "steam backing up into rafters" -this is the very first time those words have EVER been strung together
    "heat pipe out of roof" -those nagging heat pipes
    "shortened the stack" -did it get lengthened in the 60+ years it's been up there?
    "trane unit has no vapors" -no words for this
    "excess gas burn off" -aka explosion
    "don't smell any out of the pipe" -please, step away from the pipe
    all very logical indeed!

theonlytalkinggoat

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2023
    Louisiana
    Yes it functions just like that. It goes through the entire process and heats perfectly

last year I replaced the circuit board. All has been well until after the new roof. The roofers took off 2 inches that go into the vent on the top of the roof, like there wasn't enough room for the venting to happen. It slowed it down but still collecting water. It's wet inside the single wall pipe. It blows on the inside of the roof vent, collects water and drips down. I have a twin unit and it does not do this. There is a turbine next rafter over. Strange issue
    So, the exhaust vent doesn't go all the way past the roof line? Is that what I'm understanding? Also, is there a cap preventing rain from falling into the exhaust?

chootem

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Lockport
    Are both vents caps the same? Did they replace the old vent cap when the roof was replaced? Possibly with a vent cap not meant for gas exhaust?

knitefall

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010

foz1359

Time Traveler
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 18, 2013
    Jefferson Parish

Not fine. Those roof jacks are for venting kitchen and bath fans, not gas fired appliances. Don't rely on your roofer to get HVAC systems vented properly, they'll get it wrong and it still looks like a brand new roof. Best course of action is to either hire a licensed HVAC contractor or do your research to vent (the "V" in HVAC) your gas fired appliances safely, up to code, etc. Probably don't have makeup air at either furnace location and that's another safety concern. You're getting a lot of bad and /or partial information from well intentioned folks in here. Fire, gas and carbon monoxide aren't casual concerns -hire a pro. Good luck.

chootem

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Lockport
    the pipe itself is around 6 inches past the roof line. The vent over it is the same as what's on the other unit in the back of the house. and it's fine. it is this style they put https://external-content.duckduckgo...12cc622479c1ded205223f8e82428bc99b&ipo=images

That’s what I figured might be the problem. That is not the proper vent for gas appliances as others have mentioned below. I’ve been doing roofing for close to 20 years and unfortunately see this all to often. Those are much cheaper than the proper vent. Most likely why it was used versus the proper one. A lot of people say get a plumber or HVAC contractor to change that. Good luck getting them on the roof and if they do good luck getting it properly sealed. However, an experienced, quality roofer will install the proper vents in the proper locations.

alexla4

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2022
    Louisiana

Do you have unblocked soffit vents as well?

knitefall

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    Thank you all for the replies. Yes, soffits are not blocked. I ended up changing the top of the roof jack to a different style. There was no way I should've been getting that back-feed.

Next project: finding a 60' JLG that does not break the bank. Anyone in baton rouge want to make an extra buck?

BlueShamu

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 21, 2015
    D'town
    My jacketed vent pipe condensed and dripped because the heat wasn’t getting out of the stack…..because a bird nest was obstructing it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    kjstang02
    Top Bottom