Ruger SP101

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • blanepara9

just some dude
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    lafayette
    Yes I saw more SP-101's at this weekend's gun show than I saw at the last 3 combined! There were 5 peaple ahead of me waiting for background checks at the table I (eventually) purchased a gun from. It was a good show and the GP-100's looked Damn good. Congrats on the handgun!

Kraut

LEO
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 3, 2007
    Slidell, LA
    I own both, the 642 obviously carries a little easier, but going up from .38 to .357 comes with that. I owned an all steel Taurus 650 (same configuration as 642, no external hammer) and it was uncomfortable to shoot .357, making it just a heavier .38. When I obtained the SP101 it was a pleasure to shoot, nowhere near as unpleasant in the hand as shooting that Taurus.

HogHunter1203

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    SWLA
    I have both and cannot think of an advantage of the SP over the 642+P if the intended use is concealed carry. I CC every waking hour and the 642+P is extremely comfortable given its lighter weight, and I like the idea of the internal hammer to keep "stuff" out of the internals.
    But as far as dependability and function, I'd be totally comfortable with either. Let me know if you want to sell the 642.
    Ed

Decided to sell the smith if you want it.

5Legion

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 21, 2014
    Alexandria
    I have a 101 with hogue grips and XS front sight 3 inch barrel. Had a nice trigger job done. Hard to beat especially for a woods or bump in the night gun. For CC the 642 is prob a better choice but that 101 is hard to beat for an all around gun. 5L

Last edited:
    Top Bottom