Ruger SR1911

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vigilante Sniper

Guns are my crack!!
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    LaPlace
    I'm planning on getting one "just because" when they become available. I can get one from my son's distributor for about $550 and that will be just a nice gun to have and put with the rest of my 1911's. Will have to put Novak's adjustable rear so I can adjust POA.

Rm105629

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2011
    Houston
    I drooled uncontrollably while I read that review. Definitely need to move that sucker to the front of my "to buy" list.

Rahllin

Geaux Tigers!
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Feb 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I am hoping to get one, if I can keep up my sales, I should be able to get one free :)

Anyone who buys a Ruger firearm from ME at the Academy I work at, I will give the opportunity to meet me at the range and try it out when I get it ;)

Last edited:

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    What's all the hype about? How is this gun better than a Springer or Colt? Does Rugers history of having auto pistols recalled lately not spook anyone?

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    What's all the hype about? How is this gun better than a Springer or Colt? Does Rugers history of having auto pistols recalled lately not spook anyone?

Not sure. I like Ruger and being as one of the only All American Companies left making All American firearms I suppose it's appealing to some. It's one of the reasons I'd like to get a Red Label from them.

Not sure on the quality of the pistol but it sure looks nice and Hickok.45 kept the one they sent him so that's got to count for something right? maybe?

I would hope though that their 1911 shouldn't be compared to their other Polymer Auto's.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    It will be interesting to see. They aren't what they used to be by a long shot. They should have good frames and slides because they have been making them for Caspian for years. My concern will be the guts. I hope Ruger reinvested some of its cost savings on the castings into good lockwork. Im also baffled as to way they don't have a Series 70 type offering. I guess we will see. Id rather spend a couple hundred more and buy a colt. The 1911 platform doesn't lend it self well to people who wanna do it on a budget.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado

It's an relatively inexpensive all American 1911 with all the right features made by a company normally known for a robust gun a good customer service. They also have a history of making things right if the did screw up. If you buy one, put some rounds through it to make sure it works properly and you should be good to go.

Colt doesn't make one with the features I want for this price and Springer doesn't either. I like both companies, but the Ruger does offer something the others don't.... I especially like the lack of front serrations, it would be great if I could get a XSE or Loaded model without them.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    It will be interesting to see. They aren't what they used to be by a long shot. They should have good frames and slides because they have been making them for Caspian for years. My concern will be the guts. I hope Ruger reinvested some of its cost savings on the castings into good lockwork. Im also baffled as to way they don't have a Series 70 type offering. I guess we will see. Id rather spend a couple hundred more and buy a colt. The 1911 platform doesn't lend it self well to people who wanna do it on a budget.

It's basically a series 70 type gun. Am I missing something?

Edit: Ruger is known for good castings, I hope the internals are the same.

Last edited:

lsu fan

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    Metry

Like Hitman, I'm a Ruger fan. My grandfather was always very fond of Ruger, and I guess he passed that on to me. The company has changed a lot since Bill passed away, but some of it's for the better. As for the recalls, stuff happens for whatever reason, but Ruger has done their best to make it right, by fixing the problems. As far as I know, after the recalls were made, there were very little reliability issues with the pistols.

As far as the hype goes... it's probably because it's a good looking 1911 with a few upgrades on it for ~$600 made by an American gun company. You can't beat that!

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    I was under the impression it had a Schwarz Type Safety. I may be speaking outta school though. Ruger deffintly cast good stuff. I have 2 high end custom 1911s on Caspian frames and slides. If your looking for an American Made 1911 with features and a robust quality check out the S&W line. There is something in there for everyone and the guns flat work. Unfortunately most have firing pin safeties.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    In the July 2011 issue of the American Rifleman, they almost broke the damn gun down to the composites in the metals used. So for all you gun enthusiasts/metallurgists, I think you can find out what iron mine they got the ore from.

Jeez!

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Im not bashing the gun. I haven't even touched one. I have concerns about Ruger. They worry me. They have dropped some real junk ito the market over the last couple years and even their flagship P Series pistols, while reliable, have warts. I hope the Ruger 1911 is a great gun. Im just not gonna rush in blind because the reviews are good.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Im not bashing the gun. I haven't even touched one. I have concerns about Ruger. They worry me. They have dropped some real junk ito the market over the last couple years and even their flagship P Series pistols, while reliable, have warts. I hope the Ruger 1911 is a great gun. Im just not gonna rush in blind because the reviews are good.

So other than using the preliminary opinions of the many gun reviewers that have actually gotten a chance to try the gun in the real world, what are you going to base your motivation to get one or not on?

bravo3

dont tread on me
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    So other than using the preliminary opinions of the many EXPERIENCED, UNBIASED, PROFESSIONAL gun reviewers that have actually gotten a chance to try the gun in the real world, what are you going to base your motivation to get one or not on?

FIFY

Top Bottom