Ruger SR1911

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Like Hitman, I'm a Ruger fan. My grandfather was always very fond of Ruger, and I guess he passed that on to me. The company has changed a lot since Bill passed away, but some of it's for the better. As for the recalls, stuff happens for whatever reason, but Ruger has done their best to make it right, by fixing the problems. As far as I know, after the recalls were made, there were very little reliability issues with the pistols.

As far as the hype goes... it's probably because it's a good looking 1911 with a few upgrades on it for ~$600 made by an American gun company. You can't beat that!

To speak more on Ruger; their Red Labels are looked down upon by most high-end Clay Shooters. Yet that attitude rarely seems to come from real hand held experience. I've talked to a few people who claim to have put 10,000 to 30,000 shells through their Red Labels with not so much of a hiccup and they actually weigh LESS than some Browning Citori's and Blaser F3's contrary to popular belief.

The fact is no one knows if a Red Label can go through 100k Shells b/c folks who buy them aren't shooting that much anyway. From what I've learned reading hundreds yes (literally hundreds in the past few months) of articles and web forums is Red Labels get a bad rap for no REAL reason except mere personal preference.

Why the negative stigma? :dunno: is my answer. Maybe it's just not in the 'IN' crowd?

I plan on owning a Beretta O/U next year for some more serious Competition Clay shooting in 2012, but I definitely plan on buying a Red Label first, hopefully before year’s end.

I'd choose either over a Browning though :p Just had to throw that in there lol

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    How credible are Gun Writers? When's the last time you saw anybody review a gun in a gun rag and say it was junk? The reason advertising dollars. I will base my opinion on buying until some of the guns get into circulation, get some mileage on them, and either prove to be reliable and worth the money or junk. My bet is that they will be somewhere in between. Somewhere between a Taraus 1911 and a SA Loaded. We will see. Personally I base my evaluations off of what I shoot and what people I trust shoot, as opposed to folks who get free and or discounted product or take advertising dollars from the people who's product they review.

bravo3

dont tread on me
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    If it was free then why did hickok send then a check? And if it's for advertising then why is there no Ruger ad on his channel?

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    How credible are Gun Writers? When's the last time you saw anybody review a gun in a gun rag and say it was junk? The reason advertising dollars. I will base my opinion on buying until some of the guns get into circulation, get some mileage on them, and either prove to be reliable and worth the money or junk. My bet is that they will be somewhere in between. Somewhere between a Taraus 1911 and a SA Loaded. We will see. Personally I base my evaluations off of what I shoot and what people I trust shoot, as opposed to folks who get free and or discounted product or take advertising dollars from the people who's product they review.

and the fact that it is factual impossible to be unbiased.

I know Jeff Quinn from GunBlast had to have lost fans when he switched from Glock to M&P's as his Primary Polymer of choice. So there is a reputation they have to worry about too. But many people trust him and Hickok.45 so that's why I listed their two reviews. I can say that Hickok does not buy a gun unless he REALLY likes it, for what that's worth.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region

I get your point to a certain extent. It is too bad Consumer Reports doesn't do firearms, because I have NEVER been let down by their reviews on anything. :rockon:

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Pump the brakes man, I am not saying Hickok whoever got anything for free, I bet he got a discount, but I can honestly say until today I had no idea who the man was. My point is that as a general rule that is how the gun press works. Im speaking from expirence, I have benifited from the machine. I am not bashing the Ruger 1911, I am questioning the enthusiasm for a product no one has seen from an outfit who in the recent past has a history of stepping on their crank. Furthermore I have a fairly large base of expirence with 1911s and I have yet to find a cheap one that worked as well as I require. I hope that you guys who are waiting on one of these guns get'em and shoot'em and let us know if they are worth a damn or not.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Pump the brakes man, I am not saying Hickok whoever got anything for free, I bet he got a discount, but I can honestly say until today I had no idea who the man was. My point is that as a general rule that is how the gun press works. Im speaking from expirence, I have benifited from the machine. I am not bashing the Ruger 1911, I am questioning the enthusiasm for a product no one has seen from an outfit who in the recent past has a history of stepping on their crank. Furthermore I have a fairly large base of expirence with 1911s and I have yet to find a cheap one that worked as well as I require. I hope that you guys who are waiting on one of these guns get'em and shoot'em and let us know if they are worth a damn or not.

I got you bro, and agree with you. I should have added a smiley or two I guess :p

I was just providing a little background on Hickok.45. He's not some super pro gun review guru, but he's no chump either know what I mean? that's all I was saying.

Last edited:

bravo3

dont tread on me
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Pump the brakes man, I am not saying Hickok whoever got anything for free, I bet he got a discount, but I can honestly say until today I had no idea who the man was. My point is that as a general rule that is how the gun press works. Im speaking from expirence, I have benifited from the machine. I am not bashing the Ruger 1911, I am questioning the enthusiasm for a product no one has seen from an outfit who in the recent past has a history of stepping on their crank. Furthermore I have a fairly large base of expirence with 1911s and I have yet to find a cheap one that worked as well as I require. I hope that you guys who are waiting on one of these guns
    get'em and shoot'em and let us know if they are worth a damn or not.

Don't be one of those. Don't tell me to "pump my breaks" just for responding to your comment. Yeah I'm sure he did get a discount, but he still bought it. Why do you refuse to answer my question about him not having a Ruger ad? You don't need to explain to me how the "machine" works lol, I just got out of my 3rd Econ class, so I have an idea. I wouldn't call a Ruger a "cheap 1911". I bet if the price tag was 999.99 you would say hey I bet this Ruger is going to be pretty nice. A rock island is a "cheap 1911". I have one, and have higher end 1911s. I can differentiate between the two just as well as you can sir. Please don't think you are teaching me anything, except the old saying don't judge a book by it's cover.

Spent Brass

Keeping South BR Classy
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    baton rouge
    3 econ classes, he must be some kind of super genius. :chuckles: I like Ruger, I own several and actually bought another yesterday afternoon. On this one Im with VG. But thats the same for all firearms. I'll read an experts reviews and decide if its even worth looking into and then rent a range dummy or borrow one and put a few rounds through it before I buy. Theres a very small group of people who can influence me enough to spend 500+ on a firearm that I havn't tested. So as nice as it looks the wait will continue.

Spent Brass

Keeping South BR Classy
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    baton rouge
    Im just yanking your chain. I've actually got class ini 32 mins myself. Advertising with Dr. Emily White was a fun class. But I see where your coming from. Even if they are recieving some kind of bonus the revievs are there to highlight the features and inform the potential customer. The smart customers know to take the review with a grain of salt and wait to put their hands on it. Everyone else just preorders the hell out of it. :)

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    I was talking to Hitman, gee Francis lighten up, I did answer your question, I havd no idea who the hicock guy is I usually don't go to youtube for gun reviews but maybe I should start. The truth is neither you nor I know if the guy really liked the gun or if he says he did bc he is trying to build a relationship with Ruger. We don't know much about him except for what we see on the internet. For me that's not good enough. And no at 999USD I would have written the thing off completely. Im glad your RIA gun works and you like it. Your needs are not my needs and I wouldn't buy one because I don't have faith in the quality of construction. And lastly its not my job to teach you anything. Im not trying to I asked some questions and shared my view point. I am pretty sure that I know a fair amount about the 1911 and im happy to share my lessons to help those that want help. Im not bashing your Ruger. It may very well be the missing link of 1911s. I don't know. Im just asking questions because I think in general Ruger builds crappy pistols. I owned at one point in time a range of 1911s vrom a 500 Taraus I actually rather liked to a few $3k plus customs. Im also qualified to know the diffrence but that's not wnat this discussion was about.

bravo3

dont tread on me
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    poststillmakesnosense.jpg

Last edited:

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    But thats the same for all firearms. I'll read an experts reviews and decide if its even worth looking into and then rent a range dummy or borrow one and put a few rounds through it before I buy. Theres a very small group of people who can influence me enough to spend 500+ on a firearm that I havn't tested. So as nice as it looks the wait will continue.

My sentiments exactly.

I definitely value Gun Blast's and Hikock's reviews over ANY gun rag, who will give a product a stirling review and sprinkle 6 full page ads for that company throughout their magazine.

That said-- just what credentials do they have, that truly qualifies them as experts? Sure, they get every new toy the minute it comes out and shoot it before others have even seen one in person. In total, they shoot more in a month than many people will shoot in a lifetime. But all of those rounds are spread across how many guns? As we've noted before-- EVERY new thing that comes out. IMO, that's not nearly enough to say with certainty just how a gun is going to hold up. And to top it all off-- they deal with a single example out of the whole run. If even excellent manufacturers put out "lemons", then crappy designs and builds will occasionally result in "reliability".

I'm not trying to knock either of those reviewers. I'm not even that familiar with Gun Blast. And while Hikock is definitely a good shot, and an EXCELLENT personality on camera, he's not exactly running those guns very hard in the videos. Slow fire with an LCP at 50+ yards is really impressive-- but just how practical is it? For the competition community and the "real shooter" community alike, most of the reviews that I've watched leave quite a bit to be desired.

Spent Brass hit the nail on the head. In a world of limited information, these guys provide an excellent starting point. But to go crazy over a brand new design because they put 200-500 rounds through one and then went ahead and bought it is not an entirely foolproof method. If you're hot on the new Ruger because of the companies reputation, an American made 1911, or any of a dozen other reasons why you'd love to have one in the safe-- go for it. If you're looking at the gun in terms of a hard use tool, it's another matter entirely.

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    269   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    Looks like my next range gun.... HAHAHAHAHA...

As said the 1911 platform does not lend itself to the budget arena. Too many parts have to be made really well and thay have to fit and work together properly. Not a platform that can handle alot of slop or huge tolerances and be worth a damn. Given the modern machines that ruger (and everyone else) has they should be able to chrun out a good 1911, but it all depends on the QC dept, and that seems to be the place most companies cut funding to when the economy takes a nose dive...

Maybe it is just me, but it always seemed like if ruger made a centerfire handgun, someone else made one better. I have owned alot of rugers, and the only ones I still have are the redhawk/super redhawk 44 mags.

I will also be interested to see how this ruger does, especially compared to my s&w 1911.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bruce robison
    Top Bottom