S&W M&P Shield (9mm) issue

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wsellers

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Greetings everyone,

First off, I LOVE my new Smith and Wesson M&P Shield... The pistol looks, feels, and shoots GREAT... However, after putting about 300 rounds of 115grain 9mm through it--- I noticed this problem. Please see the link to my Flickr page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/wsellers/sets/72157629928484705/

Anyone see this? I called S&W --- and they told me that I could ship the pistol back to them -- for them to take a look. It would take almost an ENTIRE MONTH for me to get my pistol back... GRRR... I've only had the gun for two weeks --- and now have to ship it back... GRRR...

I brought it by my local gun dealer --- and they took a look. Their opinion was that it just looks like a milling ding--- and shouldn't be a safety problem. We looked at another new Shield --- and it DIDN'T have the issue.

I would appreciate any advice, thoughts, etc.

Thanks,
    Will

lilshaunsdad

Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 18, 2012
    Lacombe
    I'm kinda with the gun dealer, if it functioned properly I wouldn't worry to much with it. I have a pistol that has been sitting at S&W since 3/26.

wsellers

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Thanks guys! Just being cautious... Also, this is my first CCW carry pistol --- so, I want to make sure it's in tip top condition.

lilshaunsdad: Thanks for your opinion. I might have one other gunsmith take a look -- just go get another set of eyes on it.
    Russo: Awesome... I'm becoming a HUGE fan of the M&P line. I might actually go look at a full size M&P for competition, etc.

Leadfoot

Low Speed High Drag
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Livingston Parish
    I'm not sure it's a "problem" more than it is an "anomaly".

If it were mine, and there were no signs of stress fractures on the metal, I would keep shooting it and observing it. I know its a little annoying having a possible defect in a brand new gun, however it could be purely cosmetic and not effect function at all.

If it really bugs you enough, send it in and let S&W figure it out. They will take care of it. Their warranty and repair department are top notch. It's no consolation being without your gun while its away, and this could have happened to a gun thats been on the market for years, but instances like this are why I usually shy away from purchasing a new model until all the bugs have usually been worked out.

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    It looks like a manufacturing defect. And unless it leads to breakage, through weakening, it won't effect function. On the locking block, I wouldn't be terribly concerned, but I'd keep my eye on it.

I'd also tell Smith to lick me on the return label and send me a new block instead. I'd pay for it if that's what it took. Push to talk to upper management, and insist on sending a picture. That should be an easy parts replacement through the mail; the CS rep you talk to on the first level knows as much about guns as I do about opera and "ship it back" is their programmed response.

It's a cheap part; I'd suggest you buy a new one from SSS or something, but the Shield is so new that I doubt anyone is stocking parts for it yet.

Last edited:

wsellers

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Thanks guys... .I'm going to call S&W again --- and ask to speak to someone else---- and push the issue of them just sending me the part. I agree, --- I think the people who are initially answering the phone - don't really know anything about handguns... <maybe>

Other than this --- I REALLY REALLY REALLY like this pistol!

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Yeah... Apex has an upgrade in the works.

Sorry, I couldn't help myself....:rofl::rofl:

See, you love the M&P!

Even if it's only because it gives you something to joke about/pick on!

I've got 5 now; I'm still trying to find one that'll fail, although to be fair, two are sitting in their boxes still just waiting for a chance at glory... The game gun wore out it's first 13# recoil spring today-- I'm making headway!

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    269   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    Hmm, so the thingy (technical term) that the barrel slams into every time you fire it has not been machined correctly...

Read that again.

The locking block is the part in the gun that takes most of the beating when you shoot it. There is no way in hell that I would leave that alone. Smith needs to send you a new one, as they should all be interchangeable. Who knows whar else is wrong with it. Looks like the cutting tool broke during the machining process (or they assemble these things with a chisel and a hammer).

Looks like the QC guys were at lunch when yours was made. I would give the gun a good look, disassemble the entire thing down to individual parts and inspect them all closely. I do this with all of my handguns, don't want to bet your life on something without being sure... Kinda like when a gun does not work right out of the box, it needs to go down the road.

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Ah... no. ;)

Curious as to how you determined that today was the day the recoil spring is worn out...

About 400 rounds in, I noticed that it was sluggish after a press check, so I performed the "test" and it failed.

Test being-- orient the muzzle skyward, rack the slide, ride it to the point of resistance just before going into battery, and let it go to see if it will slam home. Even a filthy gun should do it.

Not that this spring passes with an empty chamber, but not with a snap cap in place. Fairly certain the tighter chamber of the KKM barrel shortens the life cycle; I didn't test it with the factory barrel, but a new 13# has notably more force with everything else being equal.

Keep in mind-- this is a 13# after market spring, which is notably lighter than the factory (a 16# IIRC). It's also seen... whew... I guess about 10k rounds by now? I dunno, I quit counting when I was still shooting the Glock.

jquinnett

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2009
    Bossier City, LA
    Just looked at my M&P 9 Shield and I only have about 60 rounds down, but mine also has what looks like a machined ledge, so must be made that way, thanks for picking this up. No problems with mine.

wsellers

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Thanks --- I've put about 800 rounds through it -- no problems... I STILL need to call S&W again --- and see if I can talk to someone who knows what they are talking about --- Maybe have them send me a new part.

richardb

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2012
    Apex Upgrades to M&P's are really great ....

I have installed the Apex trigger kits in a M&P .45 cal 5" and a compact M&P .45 and an SD9 and they all did exactly what was advertised. Trigger pull has most of the slack gone, a 4.5 lb pull and improved reset. The kits were $89.00 each. The SD kit was $20.00. It really made the SD a nice little gun, light, very good feel and the trigger kits are designed to eliminate the little bounce of the front of the gun when you pull the trigger. Highly recommended. Factory should install these trigger parts standard.

Yeah... Apex has an upgrade in the works.

Sorry, I couldn't help myself....:rofl::rofl:

Top Bottom