Safe issue

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    I guess you missed where I said that I called Cannon more than once. That is where I got the information about all of the electronics being internal.
    Other brands may be different. But if I’m building safes and using electronic locks, I damn sure don’t want someone to use their own keypad and get into my safe.

sksshooter

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    Walker, LA
    I guess you missed where I said that I called Cannon more than once. That is where I got the information about all of the electronics being internal.
    Other brands may be different. But if I’m building safes and using electronic locks, I damn sure don’t want someone to use their own keypad and get into my safe.
    now your forcing me to respond. how exactly did you make 1 lock work with 2 keypads per your own admission. But you don't think a safe company would build a safe to work like that??? this isn't real high tech stuff we're dealing with here. its a lock that takes a signal from something to activate it. you have a keypad on the outside of the safe with a board and battery and cable. this feeds into a smaller board "motherboard" inside the safe which is in the housing for the lock. the code is stored in the internal board. when you supply power to the keypad and then touch the keys it supplys that signal to the "motherboard" and if satisfied it supplies power to the lock. so not all of your electonics are inside the safe as there is that big honking keypad sticking off the front. the keypad does not store your code. so yes you can in fact plug another keypad into it to open it but you have to use the same code as the code doesn't go with the keypad. does that make it any easier to understand how they work and why it would be prudent to try another keypad first? the internal board just sits there receiving and sending a signal. the lock which is pretty basic just does what it's told. all while the keypad on the outside its getting poked on by your hands and recieving wear and tear every single time you touch it.

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    One lock worked with two different pads because the combination is stored in the actuator, not the key pad. I could have tried 100 different pads on the faulty actuator and none would have worked. Those same 100 pads would not have worked on the good actuator without knowing the combination.

gmshooter

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    328   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Gramercy La.
    Wife walked in today and the safe opened right up. New keypad is 15-20 business days out. I have another safe with the same /similar keypad. I will try and put this pad on there and see if it works. If it is possible where do i look to change these out to dial combos? Thabks for all the suggestions.

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    Wife walked in today and the safe opened right up. New keypad is 15-20 business days out. I have another safe with the same /similar keypad. I will try and put this pad on there and see if it works. If it is possible where do i look to change these out to dial combos? Thabks for all the suggestions.
    I’ll help with installation if needed.

twinin

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 5, 2017
    Houma
    Glad you got it figured out. I am surprised the lock itself failed. It's usually the keypads-they fail often. A new keypad will open a locked safe if the problem is the keypad. The combination is stored in lock itself. A lot of the safes also have the extra back up that falls when someone is trying to punch through it. With your lock failing with a good keypad, you had no other choice.

Changing to a mechanical dial is not hard as long as you have a standard safe with the standard holes already drilled. It's about a 30 minute job with household tools. Setting the combination takes the longest. Another benefit besides reliability is that you can close the door and turn the handle without locking it. May not matter to some, but if you have a big heavy door that moves on its own while open it's nice.

Top Bottom