School me on MP3 vs IPod

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LaBelle

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Near Natchitoches
    So, I basically don't know much about the whole MP3 / IPod thingies, but have decided that, possibly, I might like to get something like this. Something I can put on my Christmas suggestion list (my husband never has a clue what to get me!)

I don't want to spend too many valuable gunstuff dollars for something that I may not use as often as I think I would. Does that make sense?

Anyway, what are some of your recommendations?

bravo3

dont tread on me
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Ipod, all others are basically inferior. Easy interface, software, support, and navigation.

Just get the regular old classic if all you plan to use it for is just for music

Leonidas

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Slidell
    If you're a music lover, they're great. With earbuds you can listen while exercising, yardwork etc. Plug into car or home stereo and get incredibly easy access to your whole music library.

Tulse Luper

Besmirched!
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Metairie
    If you are not tied to Apple already though iTunes, go with a Sansa Fuze. It's a simple device. You just drag and drop files, and it's expandable through MicroSD.

Now the important part: throw away the IEM (in ear monitors) that come with it. That's true for ALL digital audio players. It's much more important to get good quality IEMs.

DO NOT BUY ANYTHING by Skullcandy or Monster. Look at Etymotic, Shure and Sennheiser for good quality IEMs.

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    I use a Zune HD, $8 a month for unlimited downloads and it's not an effing iPod. I have a deep rooted hatred of Apple products.

Russo

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 9, 2008
    Raceland,LA
    I use a Zune HD, $8 a month for unlimited downloads and it's not an effing iPod. I have a deep rooted hatred of Apple products.

i have a 32gb Zune HD and i too, share a hatred for Apple products... one of my biggest complaints about Apple's software is that you cannot put downloaded videos onto an itouch or ipod that you didn't specifically purchase in their format...

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    I wish Zune had all the radio docks, car interfaces, etc. but oh well, it is well worth it for not paying per song and not having iTunes on anything I own. Plugging a cable into an Aux input is no sweat and the interface works well.

Russo

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 9, 2008
    Raceland,LA
    I wish Zune had all the radio docks, car interfaces, etc. but oh well, it is well worth it for not paying per song and not having iTunes on anything I own. Plugging a cable into an Aux input is no sweat and the interface works well.

it's not a problem if you drive a Ford since Sync is made by Microsoft

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    yeah i had a rental once that worked perfect, buy my Mustang is an 01 and my Mountaineer was the last year before they got sync :(

nickatnite

Crybaby Hater...
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jun 27, 2007
    Prairieville, La
    i have a 32gb Zune HD and i too, share a hatred for Apple products... one of my biggest complaints about Apple's software is that you cannot put downloaded videos onto an itouch or ipod that you didn't specifically purchase in their format...

Dodo,
    Whoever told you that is out of their minds! There are TONS of programs to convert videos to play on apple products.

El Rubio

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Ponchatoula
    iPods are the Glocks of portable music players. The standard players are pretty basic feature-wise and mediocre sounding. The iPod Touch is more of a gaming system that plays music in my opinion. Generally, the players are limited in various playback formats but shouldn't be a problem for most people. I personally think Cowon makes some of the best players if you are concerned about audio quality. To some, it's splitting hairs but there is a difference. I have two players, a Cowon D2 and a Creative Zen with a 4" screen. The Zen has superior audio to an iPOd but the screen is where it really shines. I have several recoded movies stored on it and the large screen makes it bearable to watch one. It came with the cables to output to a television too. The Cowon has a much more powerful audio amplifier and vastly superior enhancements such as eq, bass boost, stereo enhancement, etc. iPods have eq's but the Cowon allows frequency selection as well as multiple customized settings. The enhancements all work very well. The Cowon and Creative devices also come with decent earbuds too. My daughters have iPod Touch's and love them. In my opinion, iPods are made well and work well but are very 'vanilla' if your an audio enthusiast.

Suburbazine

01001000 01101001 0011111
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA

People still pay per song to Itunes? Just Jailbreak and get Grooveshark.

Plus I'm sure they have an app to remote control your cruiser. :mamoru:

Last edited:

Tulse Luper

Besmirched!
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Metairie
    I wholeheartedly agree that Cowon is superior to anything as far a SQ. I have an ancient G3 that I would not trade for a dozen iPods. The sound quality of the D2 was close to the venerable G3, but that UI was so infuriating I sent it back.

It would be helpful to know if the OP wants a full feature multimedia device or a music player.

LaBelle

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Near Natchitoches
    OP here, call me old-fashioned, but I just want to listen to music. Watching movies/videos on an itty bitty screen, or playing games.....not my thing. I don't even have a game machine at home, nor do I have any premium movie channels. I can't remember that last time I rented a movie!

I still use a prepaid non-smart phone, well, I DID just move up to one that has a touch screen & a camera.

But as far as the player? Just the tunes man, just the tunes!

:rockon:

Tulse Luper

Besmirched!
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Metairie
    OP here, call me old-fashioned, but I just want to listen to music. Watching movies/videos on an itty bitty screen, or playing games.....not my thing. I don't even have a game machine at home, nor do I have any premium movie channels. I can't remember that last time I rented a movie!

I still use a prepaid non-smart phone, well, I DID just move up to one that has a touch screen & a camera.

But as far as the player? Just the tunes man, just the tunes!

:rockon:

Same here. I'm a purist for the music. Save the money you'd be throwing away on multimedia device with a touch screen, like an iPod Touch or Zune, and get the Fuze (expand its memory with a MicoSD as need).

Spend what you save on quality IEMs. I've been through more than ten players; they do matter, but not nearly as much as the speakers you put in your ears. Without waxing audiophile, the immediate difference will be with detail resolution. You'll "hear" lots more, even with lower quality MP3s, with aftermarket IEMs.

CJB1911

PEW PEW PEW
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Mar 16, 2010
    SWLA
    Same here. I'm a purist for the music. Save the money you'd be throwing away on multimedia device with a touch screen, like an iPod Touch or Zune, and get the Fuze (expand its memory with a MicoSD as need).

Spend what you save on quality IEMs. I've been through more than ten players; they do matter, but not nearly as much as the speakers you put in your ears. Without waxing audiophile, the immediate difference will be with detail resolution. You'll "hear" lots more, even with lower quality MP3s, with aftermarket IEMs.

i like the Etymotic hf3 buds.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sollidus_
    Top Bottom