School zone map of NOLA?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gocoastal

I'm a girl.
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2009
    NOLA
    According to state law, each city has a map of school zones and the areas 1000 ft around each school so that people know where they can carry.
    Anyone know how to access this map for New Orleans?

gocoastal

I'm a girl.
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2009
    NOLA
    I know there is a bill in progress, but in the meantime I can't walk from my house to run errands because there are 2 schools a few blocks away. I'd like to know where those boundaries are. In the text of the law banning concealed handguns 1000 ft from schools, it also states that parish with jurisdiction must make public an official document that contains a map of the firearm-free school zones.

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    It was Covington, and I did the map myself.

These maps do not exist to the best of my knowledge. It may be possible to beat the charge due to the lack of these maps which are designed to provide notice to the public of where the zones are. However, in the only 2 cases that I saw on the subject the courts ruled that the lack of notice due to signage was not a defense. In these notice cases, the person was arrested for having a gun ON campus, not in the 1000' zone. Also, they did not involve CHP holders. Beyond that my research hasn't turned up anything. This is one of the reasons LSA requested Rep. Wooton and Sen. Martiny to sponsor bills to correct the situation.

eliska

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    New Orleans
    SB 81 still on track

Senate Bill 81 (by Martiny) would correct the inconsistency in the gun free zone law. Currently, the statute exempts those holding "parish permits" but not those with a state-issued permit. The bill has passed both houses with very little opposition. The sticking point is a fairly technical distinction not related to the gun free zone exemption for permit holders. The bill is therefore in conference now. No reason to think that it won't get done this session.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spydy
    Top Bottom