Seat belt ticket cost?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    I was reading the below link on WBRZ website and wondered how the Chief came up with $45 for a seatbelt ticket when the State law says $25 for 1st, $50 for 2nd, and $50 for 3 or more plus court cost. :confused:

http://www.wbrz.com/news/warrant-roundup-hopes-to-clear-half-million-in-fines/

"Come by here, pay your fine. It's just like with a seat belt ticket, it's $45, you miss your court date, it's almost a $200 ticket. Smart thing to do, come in," said Chief McDavid.

From RS 32:295.1 the La. seat belt law

a) Upon conviction of a first offense, the fine shall be twenty-five dollars which shall include all costs of court.

(b) Upon conviction of a second offense, the fine shall be fifty dollars which shall include all costs of court.

(c) Upon conviction of a third offense and any subsequent offense, the fine shall be fifty dollars plus all costs of court.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    $25 plus court costs.

I got a 3rd offense seat belt ticket several years ago that cost me $150.

Should this cover any court cost?

a) Upon conviction of a first offense, the fine shall be twenty-five dollars which shall include all costs of court.

Blackhawk

Blackhawk
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    Pollock LA
    I seem to recall that municipalities set their own fines for different types of offenses, usually by ordinance. It would make sense that the state law would apply for areas outside the municipality.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    I seem to recall that municipalities set their own fines for different types of offenses, usually by ordinance. It would make sense that the state law would apply for areas outside the municipality.

Copied from the City of Zachary codes

Upon conviction of a first offense, the fine shall be $25.00 which shall include all costs of court.
    b.
    Upon conviction of a second offense, the fine shall be $50.00 which shall include all costs of court.
    c.
    Upon conviction of a third offense and any subsequent offense, the fine shall be $50.00 plus all costs of court.
    (2)
    Notwithstanding any contrary provision of law, no other cost or fee shall be assessed against any person for a violation of this section.

Butrbal

Rok Out Whit Ya Glock Out
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2012
    Prairieville
    If you get in a wreck it could cost you your life. Please my friends buckle up.

Some of them just don't get it CEH...

You know what really chaps my ass, seeing a child not properly secured in a vehicle.
    Does everyone remember the accident not that long ago on I-10 south of Gonzales where 5-6 kids were killed, some being ejected from the vehicle.

Leadfoot

Low Speed High Drag
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Livingston Parish
    Ok, for Ward 2, which is in Denham Springs the cost schedule looks like this:

First offense, $25

Second offense, $50

Third and sub offense, $160. Which is the fine of $50 plus $110 court costs.

Court costs on all offenses other than speeding is $110. For speeding its $115.

I'm going to assume that other local courts follow the same type of fee scheduling.

Apparently the chief misspoke or was mistaken in his statement.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride

First offense, $25

Second offense, $50

I'm going to assume that other local courts follow the same type of fee scheduling.

deleted

Last edited:

olivs260

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 23, 2009
    Geismar, LA
    I always wondered why they were so harsh on seatbelts in a car/truck but I never saw a seatbelt on a schoolbus :dunno:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40820669/ns/us_news-life/t/why-your-childs-school-bus-has-no-seat-belts/#.UIgDcYbCSwE

Short answer- buses are statistically 40 times safer than family cars, and school buses are designed to keep kids in the padded seats in the event of a collision. Add in that a school bus weighs something like 12+ tons, and they really are plenty safe already.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride

First offense, $25

Second offense, $50

I know a woman that got a seat belt ticket in Denham and she told me it cost her over 200. Of course I've never believed anything she's ever told me. She has a problem with the truth and the laws, might be why her twin son and daughter were both in LPSO jail together awhile back and son is still there.
    Buckle up woman.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40820669/ns/us_news-life/t/why-your-childs-school-bus-has-no-seat-belts/#.UIgDcYbCSwE

Short answer- buses are statistically 40 times safer than family cars, and school buses are designed to keep kids in the padded seats in the event of a collision. Add in that a school bus weighs something like 12+ tons, and they really are plenty safe already.

My cousin just retired from driving a school bus her in EBR. Years ago she hit some mud that some loggers tracked on the road just after she left home on the route. She turned the bus upside down and was hanging in her seat belt. I guess if she would have had kids they would have been thrown all over the place.

olivs260

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 23, 2009
    Geismar, LA
    My cousin just retired from driving a school bus her in EBR. Years ago she hit some mud that some loggers tracked on the road just after she left home on the route. She turned the bus upside down and was hanging in her seat belt. I guess if she would have had kids they would have been thrown all over the place.

Yeah I'm thinking they probably don't do so well in a rollover... just parroting what the guys with white coats are saying. I found it pretty interesting, because when I was a kid I always wondered that too.

LouisianaGuy

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2011
    Walker, LA
    Have had 3 in the last 2 years......cost me $25.00 each time.
    No more no less...dont know if they made a mistake or what, but I did ask when I went in last time how many could you get before the price went up.
    I was told it was just 25.00, but the lady taking my money could have been wrong?
    LG

Top Bottom