Selling range brass for scrap

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    Even though my brass was clean and primer free, they would only pay dirty brass amount dollar wise. I also saved all.my primer in a large box bagged. Same amount.
    It was not even worth it other than to keep.it out the trash and know it was recycled

twinin

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 5, 2017
    Houma
    I sell mine to a recycler in Houma. A 5 gallon bucket full gets $60. The people with trailers of scrap steel flip out when they hear

200 rounds not much depending on caliber. I tumble the brass but do not deprime

DaggerBlade

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 26, 2015
    Baton Rouge LA
    I sell mine to a recycler in Houma. A 5 gallon bucket full gets $60. The people with trailers of scrap steel flip out when they hear

200 rounds not much depending on caliber. I tumble the brass but do not deprime
    I have 200 pounds. I suspect I will have the same experience that 340six had. I will give it a shot and see what happens.

EdRo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2022
    Ruston
    Assume you guys are talking about 9mm, 38, 40, 45, 223 brass. It's hardly worth dealing with in cleanup.
    44 mag, 44 spl, 270, 308, 30-06, etc can be deprimed, tumbled, and sold for 10-20 cents per.
    Less common rifle brass can bring more. Sell it on BS or mewe.
    I've offered my local range $2/lb for their rifle brass, but they prefer to sell it to the scrap yard for 60 cents. Then I buy it for $1.20 from the scrap yard.

mylongscreenname

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 17, 2020
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I believe that this is classified as "yellow" brass in the scrap world. I would call around and tell them exactly what you have including details like clean, dirty, primers in / out etc. Clearly no steel casings but I think you need to separate nickel casings as well. The best price might be achieved making calls before you ever leave the house. I would appreciate it if you shared your results as well. I have a good bit of brass and several containers of primers but just haven't gotten to the point of taking the next step and actually scrapping it.

twinin

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 5, 2017
    Houma
    I have 200 pounds. I suspect I will have the same experience that 340six had. I will give it a shot and see what happens.
    I’m so illiterate.Yeah that should be a good bit actually.

I tumble all the brass because it’s so easy and it helps me to spot brass I don’t want to use more easily

twinin

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 5, 2017
    Houma
    For some more context.

I recycle brass in all calibers that is either 1) not usable anymore 2) Rimfire 3) Accidentally pick up at range

I originally went to a large corporate recycler in Houma. Clean place, workers in uniform, very expensive setup. They would not take it but suggested I bring it to another recycler in Houma that is family owned-smaller operation, old-school on paper, etc. They happily took it. Weighed bucket with brass and then empty to tare. They dumped my bucket out and used a magnet to catch steel and then visually sifted through it-said people have had live rounds mixed in before lol. They did not care about the primers. I also had some nickel mixed in. I'm sure they didn't mind, but I just got brass price for everything.

john17427

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Oct 23, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I go to Florida Parishes Scrap in Baptist near Hammond. They will only pay dirty brass price. A fellow BS'er I met last week melts his down into ingots and gets a better price.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom