Serious question stemming from the Security Gaurd thread.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hattrick 22

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Kenner, Louisiana
    I'm not saying I'm going in there with a gun in one hand and an iPhone in the other looking to start trouble and be some martyr. I was simply wondering if I were to walk past the lady, what sort of laws, if any, would I be breaking.

From my understanding there is no such law that says you have to prove ownership of goods once you have purchased them. Please correct me if I'm wrong here.

That being said I am not sure of the polices of Sam's although I do shop there. I have just walked past them before if I was in hurry and there was a line only once or twice and I politely tell them the reason never lost my privileges to shop there either. All of the other times I've just waited in line like everyone else.

Now if you run out of the store or look suspicious they may have the cop check you out etc but I've just always tried t be respectful and courteous when I've had to leave in a rush and never had any problems. Like someone said before it might not be a store you should shop at anymore I see it as a inconvenience and understand how some could see it differently but it's just someone trying to do the job they were told to do. You could write a letter to corporate or even talk to the store manager if it bugs you although I doubt that would get you very far however, it beats the heck out of getting bashed on a forum. Just my .02.

Last edited:

doc ace

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Pineville/Deville
    Just walk past them. If they so much as touch you, shoot them. It's completely legal, but only if you're open carrying and the caliber is .380 or smaller. As soon as the geriatric is down, you'll want to tuck your piece back into your Uncle Mike's holster ASAP so when the poor deputy who got stuck with the Walmart detail approaches you you'll have both hands free to film the encounter. Do not answer their questions at any cost. Simply yell the phrase "Constitutional rights!" repeatedly until the tazer renders you speechless.

Trust me it's all totally legal I've done it like 100 times.

You've just won at life.

03protege

#1 Stevel Spell II fan
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Mandeville
    So , where do you shop that doesn't sell Chinese goods ?

blacksmith%20shop.jpg

PPBart

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2012
    Denham Springs, LA
    ... door geriatrics at Wal-Mart checking people's carts and receipts when they leave...

I don't think that's a common practice in any of my 4 nearby Super Walmarts. At Sam's, yes, but I do think the agreement gives the store employees the authority to inspect the cart and contents at any time; never been much of an issue for me.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Just walk past them. If they so much as touch you, shoot them. It's completely legal, but only if you're open carrying and the caliber is .380 or smaller. As soon as the geriatric is down, you'll want to tuck your piece back into your Uncle Mike's holster ASAP so when the poor deputy who got stuck with the Walmart detail approaches you you'll have both hands free to film the encounter. Do not answer their questions at any cost. Simply yell the phrase "Constitutional rights!" repeatedly until the tazer renders you speechless.

Trust me it's all totally legal I've done it like 100 times.

No need to shoot them, just yell Boo! They'll have a coronary and you can stroll past while they're trying to revive the geezers!

tbone

Threadender
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I don't think they are checking you as much as they are checking on the cashiers. I would imagine at some time someone went through a friendly cashiers line and some things weren't rung up. Put everything in the basket and walk out. Oops. Those things are not on your receipt ma'am.

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    That whole " check your receipt " thing is much ado about nothing . I've walked out of Sam's with a buggy full of stuff and the lady took about 3 seconds to eyeball my purchases . As far as WalMart goes , I don't even remember the last time they asked to see it . Still , I guess we were about due for one of these threads , it's been a couple of months .

Last edited:

Peacemaker

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2012
    Slidell, La
    So , where do you shop that doesn't sell Chinese goods ?

Well... It's getting harder all the time.. I try to buy the crap that's made in Bangladesh, Taiwan, Vietnam, Japan, India, etc,etc... It generally costs a little more than the Chinese stuff but I think the quality is a little better.. I truly do check the labels and try not to buy things made in China.. Although the quality is getting better.. I've seen shows on their counterfeiting abilities, and I will say they are probably the best counterfeiters in the world right now..

Pacioli

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    It's just a loss control strategy. There's plenty of ways that inventory could "shrink" after you pay. There are product displays all along the way out where anyone could add to their basket. Maybe the cashier made a mistake. That happened to me once at Sam's and the door checker caught it. It was an innocent mistake by the cashier, no big deal to me and the store prevented a little inventory loss. Good for them.

As far as the folks at the door, for the most part they are going to be as nice to you as you are to them. You know, that's somebody's grandfather, or mom, or sister. How would you feel if your grandma comes home with a story about some young guy that gave them a ton of grief for them doing their job?

Peacemaker

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2012
    Slidell, La
    We were just talking about that the other day. Back when Wal Mart first opened it was great. Made in the USA stuff, employees were happy, clean stores, a lot of pride there. Now, not so much. :(

I was having that conversation as well.. It used to be great place to shop and it started with a great premise.. Buy America.. Then all of a sudden they wanted the huge profits that come from selling cheap imported crap from other countries.. I think it started after the old man died.. I can remember people talking about some of the crap being sold had 'Made In America' on the label but, the only thing that was American made was the label..

Anyone remember that?

Peacemaker

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2012
    Slidell, La
    I don't think they are checking you as much as they are checking on the cashiers. I would imagine at some time someone went through a friendly cashiers line and some things weren't rung up. Put everything in the basket and walk out. Oops. Those things are not on your receipt ma'am.

I can remember when they started posting sentries at the door.. It wasn't always like that.. All of a sudden it was realized the place was easy picking's for shoplifters.. They would take a big box empty the cheap contents out and then load it up with much more valuable merchandise, pay fifty or so bucks at the cashier and then walk right out with a couple grand in stolen loot..

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2012
    Uptown, New Orleans
    As far as my experience, I only ever get asked to look at my receipt if I have a purchase that hasn't been bagged. If all my stuff is in a bag, no "may I check" at all. I thought this was normal everywhere at WW's. Is anyone getting asked to compare the receipt with stuff actually in your bags from checkout?

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Denham Springs (BR,Hammond area)
    past tout la, it bugs me to. If my wife is with me, I let them do their thing, as she gets mad if I don't. If I am not with her, I smile, tell them "No thank-you" and keep walking. They have never chased me into the parking lot, they just ask the next person.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    As far as my experience, I only ever get asked to look at my receipt if I have a purchase that hasn't been bagged. If all my stuff is in a bag, no "may I check" at all. I thought this was normal everywhere at WW's. Is anyone getting asked to compare the receipt with stuff actually in your bags from checkout?

That's what Hardliner Granny was doing to me. C12 might be right- maybe she liked my cologne....:naughty:

kengel2

Rabble Rabble
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Bedico
    I'm not saying I'm going in there with a gun in one hand and an iPhone in the other looking to start trouble and be some martyr. I was simply wondering if I were to walk past the lady, what sort of laws, if any, would I be breaking.

That depends. Do you have anything on your cart you didnt pay for? If so, you are now a shoplifter and yes you broke the law.

XD-GEM

XD-GEM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    New Orleans
    That's what Hardliner Granny was doing to me. C12 might be right- maybe she liked my cologne....:naughty:

This is most certainly the case, as their policy is supposed to be to check the receipt when you have unbagged items - like large dogfood bags or cases of drinks. If everything's in the bag, they're supposed to just smile and thank you for shopping at Walmart.

SeventhSon

Evil Conservative
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 30, 2008
    Slidell
    That depends. Do you have anything on your cart you didnt pay for? If so, you are now a shoplifter and yes you broke the law.

Not necessarily. I've walked out of stores with things that I didnt pay for (that the cashier forgot to ring up and didnt notice until I got home). That doesnt make me a shoplifter. It makes them a shitty cashier. I've also left the store without things that I did pay for when they didnt bag it. :(

Top Bottom