Settle a bet

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bill.LA

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    New Orleans
    Does the 5.7 round have a future? Or is it a passing trend?

PSA makes a budget-friendly 5.7 now. I suspect this will popularize the caliber, causing ammo supply to increase and ammo price to go down. Some people say it's a fad. But I say it's a handgun the size of a g17 with a 23+1 capacity and ballistics akin to a rifle round.

Aside from cost, the only drawback I can see is that they don't suppress well. (Because the muzzle velocity is ~1700. Not a bad tradeoff for loud rounds.) Maybe overpenetration is an issue, for the same reason.

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    The ballistics are not similar to a rifle round though at least not with commonly bought ammo. Sure you may be able to find a round or two online of the hood stuff but it’s certainly nothing any of us could stockpile and train with

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    The only shooting I could find in prior research is 2009 Fort Hood shooting. Nidal Hassan (a former Army major) was the shooter using a 5.7 semi auto pistol. Every person he hit in the torso bled out/died. Even one with a stomach wound. 5.7x28mm doesn't have a tremendous amount of muzzle energy but it has velocity. And seems to be quite destructive and lethal. Hassan killed 13 people with his 5.7 pistol. Google it and see for yourself. Everyone hit anywhere in the torso died. I purchased some of the LE and military only FN ammo SS198LF, supposed to be restricted but you can find it if you search for it. Isn't cheap ($2 a round) but its a couple hundred fps faster than commercial ammo offerings. I don't see 5.7 being ever popular widespread BC of the ammo prices. A good price @ Academy is 75 cents a round. The Ruger 5.7 pistol did help, a less costly firearm to purchase vs the FN pistol. Both hold 20 round mags. 5.7 recoil is pretty much non-existent, another plus. Small light projectile, fast muzzle velocity.

Last edited:

twinin

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 5, 2017
    Houma
    I think it's here to stay with the PSA rock, new FN, and other offerings.

It will probably always be around but in a fringe/niche category like .17 HMR but not like .22 TCM

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I'd argue that it's a lot closer to the "fun to have" side of the scale vs "useful caliber."

5.7 is a fun range toy, but I don't think it's got anything going for it in the self-defense realm.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    It’s all about ammo production. The past few years is just a real bad time to attempt to force production of certain ammunition by throwing a crapload of firearms in that caliber on the market. Believe what you want, but 300BLK never caught up. You can get it. But not always the load you’re looking for and never at the price it should go for. Firearms outpaced ammo production and just never leveled out. It’s the same with the 5.7 cartridge, only worse.
    But of course the 5.7 will be around for many decades to come. Because there are so many guns chambered for it and there’s a profit to be made. Free enterprise wins again. If you don’t believe me, ask yourself why there is still ammo being produced for the Jap Arisaka or 6.5 Carcano rifles. Because they’re out there.

alexla4

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2022
    Louisiana
    I think its pretty cool and would live to have the Ruger carbine. Being standardized by NATO can’t hurt.

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    I think its pretty cool and would live to have the Ruger carbine. Being standardized by NATO can’t hurt.

Well that says a lot really. The caliber being standardized by NATO forces. Interesting, they must think pretty highly of the pip squeek cartridge. Armor piercing and high velocity. I'd really like to see ammo prices around 30 to 50 cents per round for 5.7, one can dream.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    kjstang02
    Top Bottom