Shaving razor question

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Evil Zim

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2010
    Avoid straight edge razors unless you are a historical reenactor or brutal masochist. There is a very good reason they are antiques. Have used Harry’s razors for years. High quality shave without loss of blood.

Evil Zim

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2010
    Avoid straight edge razors unless you are a historical reenactor or brutal masochist. There is a very good reason they are antiques. Have used Harry’s razors for years. High quality shave without loss of blood.
    Also…. Recommend beaver hair shave brush with Colonel Klonk’s bay rum shave soap. Avoid aerosol shave cream.

SouthernInsanity

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jan 31, 2018
    Baton Rouge, LA
    So my son is shaving now regularly and has been using a double edge safety razor. I got him the Gillette one because I figured it wouldn’t last but he’s sold on it. Anybody else use one and can point me towards a little nicer one for him? I’m no help because I hate shaving and use clippers when I’m not growing a beard. Thanks in advance.

Pic for reference.
    7c0d6d186528ab9d573ee6d1109e19f7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    I have to shave daily... with the exceptions of a weekend w/o drill and those lovely Monday's off. That said, i despise shaving on a daily basis and when you've been sporting the bald look for 20yrs... it's worse. One thing with those safety razors, you can't be in a rush. Right now my razor is the Harry's setup. Honestly, I'm trying because their kit (razor plus extra blades) was pretty cheap. Mach 3 is all you need but damn blades for any razor is ridiculous in price.

KDerekT83

Hobbyist
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    I'm with the Mach3 guys. I have never tried any of the "boutique" stuff, but as far as mass available store bought, The Mach3 is the only one that I don't slice my face open with. I read the comment above about the little blue single blade Bic razors and spit coffee laughing so hard. it brought back memories of boot-camp. LOL

jkingrph

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2007
    There some excellent safety razors being made today, The better ones of solid stainless steel, some of titanium. Bullgoose shaving.com has a model called a Megress, an adjustable Mekur that is remade with no plastic parts. Westcoastshaving.com. both have an extensive line of shaving supplies. Look at abovethetie.com, blacklandrazors.com, both have stainless razors in both double edge and single edge.

Then there is ebay, there are multitudes of old Gillette, and Gem razors. I like the old Gem 1912 single edge. Conditiion is everything. One I have has most of the chrome worn off, and it is a mottled brass/chrome, but gives a fantastic shave.

Lastly there are some of the old Schick injector razors, also good, and the newer single edge that use the Japanese Artist club blades, which look similar to the Schick blades, but are much larger. There are straight razor types that take the Artist club blades as well as some very nice single edge safety razors.

Your imagination and pocketbook are the limit.

Right now I like some of the soaps from Simpson soaps in Arkansas, and Momma Bears soaps, the former a more traditional hard soap, the latter a glycerin type. both lather up well and are availabel in a lot of different scents, Some of the creme types from the British makers such as Trufitt:&Hill, and George Trumpler are good but rather pricey, For all the ones mentioned you need a shaving brush, fortunately they have come out with some with synthetic bristles that perform as well as the old Badger hair brushes at a much more economical cost.

Welldoya

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2013
    I’ve been retired for 5 years but I still shave every morning. I just don’t feel clean until I do.
    I’ve used a lot of razors and nothing lasts like a Schick Hydro 5.
    Best I’ve ever used in 55 years.

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    I've been using the Gillette Sensor blades for years . It's only a twin blade so it's low tech . You can hardly find them anymore in any stores . I've got them from Ebay for half of what the drug stores sold them for .

yamaha0343

Glock > XD
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Lafayette
    I’ve been using a Merkur 38 for the past 10 years or so. Also check out the Edwin Jagger DE89. Astra Superior Platinum are great cheap blades, as are the Gillette Silver Blue.

Art of Shaving is $$$. And guess who owns it? Gillette.

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I use a Gillette Fatboy Safety razor manufactured in the early 1950’s. I’m not using anything new from Gillette intentionally since they went woke.

For blades I use Feather Blades made in Japan. They’re crazy sharp. I usually buy more from a guy on eBay located in Indonesia. They’re the same blades sold by Feather in the US but much cheaper.

I don’t usually use aftershave. I use canned Barbasol for cream. I have a bore bristle brush and Proraso shaving cream. But it’s a pain to use and I don’t notice much difference afterwards.

I do occasionally shave with a straight razor that was made in Germany during the late 19th early 20th century. I can’t remember the manufacturer right now though. I don’t shave it often since it’s a pain in the butt and will hurt you with even slightest mistake.

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wrobi2016
    Top Bottom