Shaving

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Candyman

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 15, 2008
    Denham Springs
    I haven’t shaver, or trimmed my beard since May of 2020. We’ll, I do have to shaves the sides, F2E96944-D8A1-44E3-BD17-559F307921C6.jpgbut radiation treatments removed most of the hair from my cheeks.

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    When I got out of the service I decided to go a full year without shaving whatsoever. It was fun for the first couple of months and then it just became a hassle and a chore every time I ate. I gladly shaved it off at the one year mark and now I shave whenever I feel like it. I still like to keep a clean cut appearance so typically I’m in the mirror with some form of a razor two or three times a week. Whenever my face would get sensitive from leadership with hardons for making us shave 2-3x a day shave butter always worked great but it’s more time consuming.

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    I've pretty much had a full beard since 2007. I fukcing hated shaving in highschool, and I still do. I've had the ability to grow a beard since the age of 15.

I have a fair complexion and dark hair; I once got told to shave twice in one day. Screw those single bladed cheap ass prison grade Bic razors on dry skin! I started carrying an electric razor in my backpack for the occasions when I was in the cafeteria and was told to go to the office. Id just break it out on the spot. They eventually slacked off after I started being an ******* about it. ......so Gillette fusion for me now to kill the neck beard and clean up once a week.

WhereIsIt?

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 30, 2020
    Gretna, La
    Find a good shaving cream and use a brush... That makes a big difference.I like Proraso shaving cream. Pre Shave oil helps to. I also use a double edge safety razor.

Nuncles

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2018
    Lafayette, LA
    I will be another to suggest wet shaving with a Safety razor. A good shaving soap is a must and helps A LOT in my opinion. I suggest looking into Stirling Soap. They are a local company out of Arkansas and ship fast. If you want something more mainstream from Amazon, try Cella or Proraso. Cremo if you don't want to use a shave brush. If you aren't sure about a safety razor, go with a Schick injector (ebay) or the Twig by Leaf Razors. The supply company is another single edge razor but I have no experience with them. Single edge razors will be an easier transition from a cartridge razor. The angles needed are closer to a cartridge razor than a double edge safety razor. If you MUST use a cartridge, the Mach 3 seems to be the favorite in many shaving forums.

Learn the proper technique and give you skin some time to heal between shaves. I can't say you will love shaving but it may make a better experience for you.

Nuncles

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2018
    Lafayette, LA

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    I drag one of those cheap yellow Bic Razors across my face and neck about every second or third day.

I used to greaux a beard, but now I use a CPAP. If I don't use the CPAP I have cardiac pauses. Or at least I used to before the pacemaker.

Core

Salt
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    Maine
    Philips One Blade, works well. I recommend the premium model because it cuts by vibrations of and the more powerful the unit the faster it shaves. It trims well. Not as good as a razor but it doesn't agitate the skin much. A friends son visited and used one in college and I picked one up. The new blades are better than the originals and unless you're Grizzly Adams and have exceptionally thick stubble you'll like it. Blades last three months: I buy multipacks and they cost about $10-15 a blade.

jkingrph

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2007
    I'm going to say I started shaving around 1960 probably at about 15 years of age, been doing so daily since. I was an USAF Officer, active duty for ten years so it was a must then and old habits die hard. Ten to twelve years ago I got interested in collecting old razors and shaving equipment and have an nice collection or accumulation of double and single razors, numerous brushes, along with several mugs and scuttles, which is a double walled mug so you can put hot water in the space between the inner and outer wall and keep the inner contents hot or warm. Some old brushes had to be restored, literally cutting off and digging or drilling out the old bristles as they were brittle and or moth eaten. You can find what is called "knots" or the bristles to install in new or old handles. I have turned a few handles on my old lathe, my favorite probably a rather simple design in bois-de-arce.

I use either a single edge Gem type, occasionally a Schick injector type, or a double edge. There are some fantastic razors being made of stainless out there some 3 piece and some adjustable models, although due to very limited production runs and being essentially a specialty product now, they tend to be rather expensive, but then you can recover the cost rather quickly using double edge blades of which there are many brands and quality out there, much ,much less expensive than the current multi blade plastic models.

If you want an education on wet shaving look at Badger & Blade forum.

Last edited:

sierra117

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 14, 2013
    Covington, La.
    My beard grows like the missing link, seriously. It's coarse, thick, manly, and a PITA to shave when >8wks have elapsed. Prior military, so used to shave daily quite often, used Gillette sensor/sensor excel with good results. Invested in a nice long handle safety razor, great results but a little bit of a learning curve to get close/smooth without needing to stop stick your face several times. Recently switched to the OneBlade Hybrid, best f'n setup/results I've had to date.

Maintaining a beard - get a good trimmer/clipper set if you're not comfortable with the comb/scissors setup; you can also indulge in going to a man bar and have someone do it for you (great experience if it's affordable/convenient). Good beard conditioning - I like Warlord products (great products, fair pricing, veteran owned company) but also mix cbd oil just because.

https://www.onebladeshave.com/products/hybrid-razor

https://warlordbeardoil.com

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    I will second post shower shaving, it does make a difference, softens up the hair.

However, if you get your skin hot it does puff out a bit, so after you shave and your skin cools you may get some stubble sticking out.

I have used a gilette mach 3 for the last 20yrs or so, used an electric in high school.

I get a month or so of uses out of a cartridge, shave 3 times a week.

I used to use edge shave gel, but ran out at some point and had to "borrow" the wife's shave gel. It was some sort of ladies name brand shave gel. It worked better for me, so I asked her to buy me a can. I am not 100 percent sure, but it seems like there is more gel in the ladies can than the same physical size (and price) men's can. Since the ladies are shaving a larger area, perhaps they get more product? I know, it is sexist to short men shave gel just because we have different usage requirements, but that is the world we live in. I was going to make a complaint, but realized that real men don't complain about stuff, we just work around it. So I use unscented generic walmart women's shave gel.

Letting the gel sit on your face for a few minutes does soften the hair a bit too. Figuring out which way the hair grows helps as well. I shave the sides of my face top down, but have to shave my neck the other way, and my jawline and under my chin needs to be shaved side to side. Weird, I know, but shaving the other way seems to be more difficult. I usually have to go over my face twice, 2nd time is done with the razor wet with hot water, no addl shave gel.

And I shave before the shower, mainly cause I like to wash my face well after the shave and that is easiest in the shower. Plus if I get any shave gel behind my ear or on my neck it gets washed off, and not pointed out by some eagle-eyed time waster in public.

That was a longer post than intended

Top Bottom