Sheriff won't sign Class III paperwork

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • aleks61

Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Got a call from Lt. Paxton today and was told that the Sheriff won't be signing my paperwork due to a Simple Assault charge from 2009, which was dropped in 2010. I guess I will have to set up a trust at this point. Question is, will the ATF decline my application as well? I'm in the process of getting it expunged, as of today.

JCcypress

Gun Trust Lawyer
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Wow, that sucks.

I'm guessing by "dropped" you mean the DA dismissed the case? If so, I can't imagine just an arrest having much bearing on your being approved by the feds, as long as your still eligible to own an NFA item. Sounds like it may be a policy decision by Gautreaux.

Expunging the arrest won't really make it disappear. The feds will still be able to see it. Make sure that your background is GTG in terms of being eligible to own an NFA item, then set up a trust or an L.L.C. Mouthpiece can help you, as he has so many others, here (myself included).

aleks61

Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Wow, that sucks.

I'm guessing by "dropped" you mean the DA dismissed the case? If so, I can't imagine just an arrest having much bearing on your being approved by the feds, as long as your still eligible to own an NFA item. Sounds like it may be a policy decision by Gautreaux.

Expunging the arrest won't really make it disappear. The feds will still be able to see it. Make sure that your background is GTG in terms of being eligible to own an NFA item, then set up a trust or an L.L.C. Mouthpiece can help you, as he has so many others, here (myself included).

Yeah, I personally met with Hiller Moore and Dana Cummings in 2010 regarding the matter and they decided to dismiss the charges.

aleks61

Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    I do not have a CHP, but I plan on getting one soon. And I was not found guilty of Simple Assault. It actually never even made it to court. Lt. Paxton contacted me 2 weeks ago requesting a document that proves the DA dismissed the charges, I gave him that document. After he reviewed the specifics of the case, they chose not to sign my forms. They judged me based upon the charge, not by the outcome of the case.

aleks61

Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    I've contacted Mouthpiece and I am getting the ball rolling on a trust tomorrow. I should have listened to several others when I was given that same advice months ago.

Dishonored

Hunter
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    Im gonna have mouthpiece look over mine if he will. I found it to be interesting and I am gaining a little pride in setting it up myself. I jut finished it this afernoon. Im gonna contact him and see what he thinks about it sometime this week.

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    Im gonna have mouthpiece look over mine if he will. I found it to be interesting and I am gaining a little pride in setting it up myself. I jut finished it this afernoon. Im gonna contact him and see what he thinks about it sometime this week.
    lol DIY is good and all but some things are not worth being proud of in the DIY sense, when you don't know what you're doing. For example:

Surgery
    Self-medication
    Legal paperwork
    Defending yourself in court

There are a great many things where DIY is /not/ a good idea. lol. No offense. I hired out that part too.

Dishonored

Hunter
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    lol DIY is good and all but some things are not worth being proud of in the DIY sense, when you don't know what you're doing. For example:

Surgery
    Self-medication
    Legal paperwork
    Defending yourself in court

There are a great many things where DIY is /not/ a good idea. lol. No offense. I hired out that part too.

Well I had some help but I'm still going to have it looked over. If I totally f'd it up..... What did I lose? Some time lol
    I'm fairly confident it will be good to go.

aleks61

Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Mouthpiece is forming a trust for me so I can bypass the CLEO signature. I've been told by a few sources that the simple assault charge shouldn't be an issue, in the eyes of the ATF.

latech15

Master class Hero
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    Pineville
    It is awesome when the CLEO takes it upon himself to make a decision as to whether you can have a class 3 item. It isn't up to you, Jackass! All they are doing is verifying that the name and fingerprints belong to you. The constitution gives you permission, not his dumbass.

With a trust, you have the ability to add anyone you want to the trust without a background check. How stupid do you have to be to get elected?

AJC

Newbie Scumbag
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 16, 2012
    Metry
    Off topic, and not meant to hijack, but can the ATF see charges that were brought against a juvenile?

aleks61

Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    I didn't submit any photo's and/or fingerprints to the CLEO. But, I doubt that mattered at all because Paxton told me it was due to the nature of the criminal charge.

AJC

Newbie Scumbag
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 16, 2012
    Metry
    It was the same charge and involved a pellet rifle - which is the only thing that concerns me. I mean, who never shot another kid in the ass with a pellet rifle when they were 12?

aleks61

Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    I'm hoping they base their decisions on convictions and not charges.

I was told, by 3 very reputable sources, that if you can pass a NICS check, you can pass the NFA check.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom