Shooting Old Shotguns

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PrairieCajun

Ima let dat pass dis time
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 4, 2010
    B.R.(da hood), LA
    I almost started this thread with the question "Does anyone here have an opinion" Then I realized where I was. How old would a shotgun have to be before you had it checked for being sound to shoot? I have a Stevens 311 5100 12 ga. side by side double barrel manufactured in 1949. It could use some tlc but only has mild outer surface rust. The interior barrel surface is still shiny from the last time I shot/cleaned it in 1990. She has been a closet queen since then. I have found this model selling between $350 and $400 online and have no interest in selling it. I investigated the value due to the idea of a home defense shottie with a short barrel (not sbs). Any thoughts welcome.

MyTFAL

"It's no big deal,...."
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Abita Springs
    I would shoot any shotgun not built in the teens as long it physically looked okay. Pre 20's single heat treats were much more common......my 2 cents

Edit- Lots of quality shotguns built before that , IE the 1897 Winchester it's definitely a by case basis,....

Last edited:

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    I've always read that the most important question first to ask is; "Who made it"?

With the obvious reason being b/c that matters on just how well the barrel was made and how well the action parts were made also.

For example I wouldn't fire an 80 year old Stoeger, but I would fire with confidence an 80 yr old Beretta.

PrairieCajun

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 4, 2010
    B.R.(da hood), LA
    I can only believe the reputation of the build is solid based on the history of J. Stevens and the purchase of the company in the 40's by Savage. It was made in America (Chicopee Falls, MA) and from what I have found so far includes parts manufactured by J. Stevens and Savage and were combined to produce this particular shottie in 1949. There were apparently good parts that were manufactured by Stevens that came to Savage with the purchase of the company and were sold in combination with Savage made parts to complete this model which makes me put the manufacture date at 1949.

Last edited:

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    I can only believe the reputation of the build is solid based on the history of J. Stevens and the purchase of the company in the 40's by Savage. It was made in America (Chicopee Falls, MA) and from what I have found so far includes parts manufactured by J. Stevens and Savage and were combined to produce this particular shottie in 1949. There were apparently good parts that were manufactured by Stevens that came to Savage with the purchase of the company and were sold in combination with Savage made parts to complete this model which makes me put the manufacture date at 1949.

Well if it were me, I'd shoot it on occasion. Family get together Clay Shoot etc. Maybe a Duck hunt in a Rice Field Hunt.

Besides that I wouldn't push it. That would be the same with an Old Beretta/Remington or whatever. I have old guns and I treat them with much more respect than my day to days.

So Shoot it! I say! I just wouldn't sit down and blow through 4 boxes of shells on it in one setting :p

Get a Smith to check it out, make sure he doesn't see any "stress fractures" etc/

JLouv

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 13, 2010
    Youngsville
    I have my great grandfathers 12ga, side by side, dual trigger, double hammer shotgun. It's sears & Roebuck branded and stamped "Pennsylvania steel" (I think. It's waaaay in the back of a safe and hasn't seen the light of day in almost 20yrs.)

Last time I fired it was mid-late 80s. Killed a slew of ducks & an unfortunate armadillo attempting a home invasion. I'd shoot it again, but restricted to 2&3/4 low brass and lead shot. No way I'd run full power loads or especially steel shot thru it.

My shotgun dates to 1900 give or take a few years. I wouldn't have a problem with a 1940-50 shotgun that looked good, but I'd stick to shorts, low brass & lead shot. You've fired it already. There's no reason to believe, if it looks the same as the last time you fired it, that it would have degraded in a controlled climate environment. All that said, the first shot might be triggered by a long string tied to the trigger. ;)

geauxbubba

"No Comment"
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    Lacombe
    What is the time frame when black powder was replaced by smokeless powder? You wouldn't want to fire a smokeless shell in a old shotgun build for black powder would you?

JLouv

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 13, 2010
    Youngsville
    What is the time frame when black powder was replaced by smokeless powder? You wouldn't want to fire a smokeless shell in a old shotgun build for black powder would you?

A quick google scan has determined that the US started smokeless production for shotguns in 1890.
    I'm more at risk than the OP in this case.

PrairieCajun

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 4, 2010
    B.R.(da hood), LA
    This shotgun has seen plenty of modern 2 3/4 shells of lead shot in a couple different shot sizes. I regularly hunted (2 times a week in '89 and '90 squirrel seasons) squirrels with this gun. During the 2 years I believe I put 5-6 boxes of shells thru her. Since I moved I haven't taken her out. Before that, she did it all, doves, rabbits, ducks.... vermin. You name it. I think at this point, I might just get a good cold bluing kit and clean her up. I will have to think about where it goes from here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    kjstang02
    Top Bottom