Shooting sporting clays from boat?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ajridgedell

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 9, 2015
    Loranger, La
    I was talking with a friend about lake pontchartrain, and he claims him and some other people go way out in the middle of the lake and shoot skeet off their boat. He may be full of crap, but that does sound like a ton of fun. Are there any laws or rules that would prohibit this? Maybe if you're able to retain all your shells so your not littering.

buttanic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    LaPlace, LA
    I would go out in the lake with some balloons and guns, anchor the boat and let the inflated balloons drift away. Shoot when they get to what ever range you like.

Metryshooter

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Not the first I've heard of people using the middle of the lake as a range. A guy once told me he would let balloons float on the water and pop them with rifle shots. Legal? No idea, but I'm guessing no.

ajridgedell

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 9, 2015
    Loranger, La
    Not the first I've heard of people using the middle of the lake as a range. A guy once told me he would let balloons float on the water and pop them with rifle shots. Legal? No idea, but I'm guessing no.

I don't know that I would feel comfortable skipping rifle bullets across the lake lol.

If you're going to do it, try to use steel shot
    To reduce lead pollution I assume?

Barry J

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Thibodaux
    Steel shot is required in waterfowl hunting because the ducks ingest the shot to use in their gizzard to crush seeds. They think it is small stones and gravel. They then get lead poisoning and die.

highstandard40

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Prairieville
    Steel shot is required in waterfowl hunting because the ducks ingest the shot to use in their gizzard to crush seeds. They think it is small stones and gravel. They then get lead poisoning and die.

Then again, I'm not sure ducks would be picking up grit in the middle of Lake Pontchartrain. That said, I'm still not sure this whole concept it's a good idea to start with. But Cruise ships did at one time offer skeet shooting off of the stern. To each his own.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    A good shotty in the boat, trolling the inland waterways, facing the stern and turning big flying carp into chum is my bag. You guys have fun shooting them clays.

enigmedic

Rating - 100%
    14   0   1
    Sep 14, 2010
    New Orleans area
    For the uninitiated, or those who feel the need to voice unsolicited criticism of others' innocent questions, here are two links to illustrate the relative safety of the above activity:
    1- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skeet_shooting
    2- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Pontchartrain
    I don't recall a Jane's Defence listing of any shotgun as an area weapon with a 630 square mile kill radius. Might be a "Call of Duty" myth. Perhaps a better opinion can be provided by one of the thousands of Lake Pontchartrain duck hunters. The following is a public service announcement from the bastard child of Johnny Cochran and Dianne Feinstein:
    I am pretty surprised anyone would advise, condone or admit to shooting a rifle into the air with no backstop and no control as to what is in the general area.
    WTF?

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    05005a4bf1d5dadcf524027e6b343fae.jpg

Y'all reckon this coulda been from....

Naaah..

jguilletjr

Saw Bones
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Lafayette, La
    I was talking with a friend about lake pontchartrain, and he claims him and some other people go way out in the middle of the lake and shoot skeet off their boat. He may be full of crap, but that does sound like a ton of fun. Are there any laws or rules that would prohibit this? Maybe if you're able to retain all your shells so your not littring.

Check with DEQ, and or the Coast Guard. There are laws against marine debris. Baloons and empty shell casings could possibly get you a hefty fine.

Top Bottom