Shooting sporting clays from boat?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I was talking with a friend about lake pontchartrain, and he claims him and some other people go way out in the middle of the lake and shoot skeet off their boat. He may be full of crap, but that does sound like a ton of fun. Are there any laws or rules that would prohibit this? Maybe if you're able to retain all your shells so your not littering.

For your legal query: There are 6 Parishes that crisscross Lake Pontchartrain. A sizeable one of which is Orleans. There is no legal discharging of firearms in ANY part of Orleans Parish. Littering, as you alluded to, is an offense in ALL.

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    For the uninitiated, or those who feel the need to voice unsolicited criticism of others' innocent questions, here are two links to illustrate the relative safety of the above activity:
    1- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skeet_shooting
    2- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Pontchartrain
    I don't recall a Jane's Defence listing of any shotgun as an area weapon with a 630 square mile kill radius. Might be a "Call of Duty" myth. Perhaps a better opinion can be provided by one of the thousands of Lake Pontchartrain duck hunters. The following is a public service announcement from the bastard child of Johnny Cochran and Dianne Feinstein:

WTF?

Well if you would read the thread it would be easy to figure out. But since you seem more interested if being a smartass before anything else, I am referring to this:
    I would go out in the lake with some balloons and guns, anchor the boat and let the inflated balloons drift away. Shoot when they get to what ever range you like.
    Not the first I've heard of people using the middle of the lake as a range. A guy once told me he would let balloons float on the water and pop them with rifle shots. Legal? No idea, but I'm guessing no.

If you need any other help with the basics just post up some more of your mouth running. You might be better off reading first.

Now do have an opinion on shooting a rifle on Lake Pontchartrain or do you need to consult Jane's? Oh yeah let me add the requisite smilie :mamoru:

Last edited:

ajridgedell

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 9, 2015
    Loranger, La
    A good shotty in the boat, trolling the inland waterways, facing the stern and turning big flying carp into chum is my bag. You guys have fun shooting them clays.

That sounds like a lot of fun too. Sit bassackwards on the jetski while someone else drives and "turning big flying carp into chum" would be my style. Ok and maybe some way to retain spent shells cause as much as I like shooting I hate trash in ditches and water.

Last edited:

enigmedic

Rating - 100%
    14   0   1
    Sep 14, 2010
    New Orleans area
    I am pretty sure that is the purpose of the "reply with quote" feature, as not to confuse the reader. It doesn't seem that I am the one in need of "help with the basics" or advanced material. I was not trying to be an arse, it is just that the way the post read, to some of us, you were attacking the OP. Attention to detail would have prevented your being offended. The person who posted after me apparently took it the same way, and responded equally sarcastically, alluding to the infamous plane crash in Lake Pontchartrain. Apparently, he took it the same way I did, and his post was damned funny. It read like many of these misguided replies do. The OP asks what is the difference between a select fire M4 and a semi auto M4, and some beacon of light replies with "10 years in prison." Instead of saying "I don't know the mechanical nuances," they criticize the OP for asking. Or better yet, they could say nothing at all. The way the thread read to us, that is what happened. Sorry if you misunderstood.
    Well if you would read the thread it would be easy to figure out. But since you seem more interested if being a smartass before anything else, I am referring to this:

If you need any other help with the basics just post up some more of your mouth running. You might be better off reading first.

Now do have an opinion on shooting a rifle on Lake Pontchartrain or do you need to consult Jane's? Oh yeah let me add the requisite smilie :mamoru:

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    I am pretty sure that is the purpose of the "reply with quote" feature, as not to confuse the reader. It doesn't seem that I am the one in need of "help with the basics" or advanced material. I was not trying to be an arse, it is just that the way the post read, to some of us, you were attacking the OP. Attention to detail would have prevented your being offended. The person who posted after me apparently took it the same way, and responded equally sarcastically, alluding to the infamous plane crash in Lake Pontchartrain. Apparently, he took it the same way I did, and his post was damned funny. It read like many of these misguided replies do. The OP asks what is the difference between a select fire M4 and a semi auto M4, and some beacon of light replies with "10 years in prison." Instead of saying "I don't know the mechanical nuances," they criticize the OP for asking. Or better yet, they could say nothing at all. The way the thread read to us, that is what happened. Sorry if you misunderstood.

You are fairly weak in your excuse and it just an excuse you provide.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    nope, I knew he was referring to shooting a rifle because that's what he said. Rifle. And I'm a joker, so the plane crash thing was a joke. As to grimacing post, I'll just let y'all speculate. I'm having fun. Carry on.

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    Enigmedic,
    I tell you what. You came in here running your mouth trying to look like a big man and belittle someone. Your little mean girls act didn't fly. So instead of trying to twist things all around you have a chance to man up and apologize or do whatever it is you think you need to do.

Balls in your court, don't wait until I log off and be a worm. We can bring this to a conclusion right now.

Last edited:

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    nope, I knew he was referring to shooting a rifle because that's what he said. Rifle. And I'm a joker, so the plane crash thing was a joke. As to grimacing post, I'll just let y'all speculate. I'm having fun. Carry on.

Come on man you need to at least back that up with some proof from Jane's, an aviation source or Comedy Central.

I think one of the planes that did crash here there was speculation of it being shot.

Last edited:

enigmedic

Rating - 100%
    14   0   1
    Sep 14, 2010
    New Orleans area
    "I think one of the planes that did crash here there was speculation of it being shot." What? Son, whose speculation? Is it yours, Rosie O'Donnell's or Alex Jones'? I hope that is a ploy to keep some kind of government check coming, and not the serious thoughts of anyone with access to firearms. Anyone who would think I am bothered by posting info that I openly provide on a site is either a little slow or wet behind the ears. At any rate, I had best leave you alone now, I think I am being baited into some kind of "cruelty to the infirm" charge, or whatever statutes protect special people. I can not, in clear conscience, engage in a battle of wits with you; I feel as though I am beating on a guy in a wheelchair. I am done here; light another candle to Jesse Ventura.
    Come on man you need to at least back the up with some proof from Jane's, an aviation source or Comedy Central.

I think one of the planes that did crash here there was speculation of it being shot.

Top Bottom