should i get rhe glock 17 or beretta 92fs please help!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    If it's any consolation, I think a bunch of pistols are trash, not just the SD9VE. I can list those if you want and watch all of their owners get miffed also. JR1572

tumblr_lvnzf3AbXM1qdnpuwo1_250.gif

couldn't resist. practicing my image linking.

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    tumblr_lvnzf3AbXM1qdnpuwo1_250.gif

couldn't resist. practicing my image linking.

Well wookie Wabbit, it's easier for me to say what I like:

9mm/.40 glocks
    Certain Beretta's (non-rotary barrel models)
    HK's (modern models/)
    Certain Sigs (226/228/229/239)
    Non-lock J frames in .38 or larger

That's about it.

Look, I have a Glock 42 and I don't even know if I like it or not because I've had it since January and have yet to go shoot it.

JR1572

nolaradio

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Parts unknown
    I'm not trying to insult you, I'm just saying that I believe that pistol is substandard and I wouldn't own it, or carry it. We were issued those to the ANP when I was contracting and training the guys at the range with those guns. Trust me, I've shot them enough to know I don't like them, don't trust them, and I'll do my best to make sure I never own one or be forced to carry one.

If it's any consolation, I think a bunch of pistols are trash, not just the SD9VE. I can list those if you want and watch all of their owners get miffed also.

JR1572

It's all good. I didn't feel insulted. I feel like I'm still a new shooter and still learning things everyday. I bought the S&W in February of 2013, my first. It's what I could afford at the time. I've learned a lot since then. Like I said earlier, I'm now saving for both the G19 and 17. Why? Based on the fact that it's been around, it's proven, and the availability of upgrades that are available.

Thanks for the conversation.

Poorboy504

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 18, 2012
    Westbank/nola
    Ok, time to clarify some things. The ANP was issued the old Sigma--SW9VE, not the SD9VE. Everyone knows the 12 pound trigger on those things are atrocious. Now, when Smith and Wesson made the new SD9/SD40, they improved the trigger pull to 8 pounds--perfectly acceptable for a defense pistol. The SD series is almost a different beast--the only thing they kept the same was the slide release.

I wouldn't call the SD series junk/trash. They are what they are--budget friendly defense pistols that work. I would say they are the best deal in pistols today.

To the OP, get what fits you best and what you can afford. Don't make your kids eat ramen noodles for two weeks because someone told you all guns they don't own are junk.

Harrisracing

Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    I would go with the 92A1 for one more simple fact / advantage over the Glock...It is a rail...a SOLID METAL RAIL. That doesn't move and stays true to the firearm. I am not a fan of putting sights on a slide (as seen in one of the pics here) as the optics and fasteners take a hell of a beating. I run a Mako tactical aluminum solid high optic mount on my long range pistols (Lol right?), and this simply doesn't hold true on my Glock 17 frame since the plastic frames deform so easily. It works MUCH better on metal pistol frames (sig 1911, sig 226, etc).

Plastic Fantastic is great for carry and duty, but I would rather a metal pistol if I had to go to combat.

That being said, I do own a gen3 Glock 17 (factory threaded barrel, raised sights), gen3 Glock 19 Talo Gold premier edition, and a gen4 Glock 26 (gen4). All have proven 100% reliable. BUT my G42 will jam with some critical defense .380 bullets in it. ALSO the G17 gen3 with factory threaded barrel is MUCH quieter than my Sig SP2022 9mm threaded was with the AAC Tirant suppressor on it. It is an incredibly quiet gun with the suppressor on it (barely louder than my Ruger MK22/45 with Gemtech Alpine).

Good luck with choice.

Patrick

Harrisracing

Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Perhaps the range at which either may be required to be used. AS stated the glock definitely has a "movable" plastic rail compared to any metal frame/railed pistol. There's something to be said for that.

The Navy seals, Army, Marines, etc ALL would rather metal pistols for combat...so I'm not alone in my ideas. And typically these departments have higher budget constraints than most local PD, thus why I think the Glock is so widely used by local LEO.

Last edited:

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    Perhaps the range at which either may be required to be used. AS stated the glock definitely has a "movable" plastic rail compared to any metal frame/railed pistol. There's something to be said for that.

The Navy seals, Army, Marines, etc ALL would rather metal pistols for combat...so I'm not alone in my ideas. And typically these departments have higher budget constraints than most local PD, thus why I think the Glock is so widely used by local LEO.

So I guess the MK23 and MK24, which both have plastic lowers, are figments of my imagination.

Tell me what branch of the military you were in and where you were deployed? I wasn't mil. but I was an armed contractor in AFG under a DOS contract. I had contact with several of our and others nations sneaky guys and I saw quite a few plastic framed pistols there. Like I said before, maybe that was my imagination again...

JR1572

Harrisracing

Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    So I guess the MK23 and MK24, which both have plastic lowers, are figments of my imagination.

Tell me what branch of the military you were in and where you were deployed? I wasn't mil. but I was an armed contractor in AFG under a DOS contract. I had contact with several of our and others nations sneaky guys and I saw quite a few plastic framed pistols there. Like I said before, maybe that was my imagination again...

JR1572

I think your signature is deceiving...in fact I do think you care very much!

I don't have to justify myself to you at all, but I will. My brother is a veteran of warfare and did carry an issued Beretta. Killed all the people he had to to do his job with it...even if that number was zero.

I am a professionally licensed mechanical engineer and being educated in that I'm sure there are applications for metal and applications for plastic in all regards. In my so educated opinion, I believe that a metal frame on a pistol adds to the rigidity of the pistol in a way that plastic cannot. In my previously cited example, the frame is being utilized as a scope mount...would you use a plastic scope mount on a rifle? I'd hope not! maybe for a light, but definitely not a laser or optic. IN this example (the example that I cited), the metal wins. Quit trying to distract from my comments by taking ONE line out of context.

IN the "going to combat" example I will say that a pistol should probably be lightweight due to the fact that it will likely almost never be used. Rifle is the tool of choice for sure, so bring whatever pistol you want because there's a slim chance it would be needed.
    Back to my other LEO example - Lightweight, reliability, and short range are the considerations...range is no longer a consideration...plastic is the favored flavor I'm sure. That and it's CHEAP to make plastic stuff in comparison. I would never buy a plastic HK...waste of money, buy a Glock.

Last edited:

JHenley17

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 21, 2013
    Prairieville
    Are optics on combat handguns a common thing? Honest question, I've only seen them on competition, hunting, and tacticool guns.

Sent from my truck doing 85 down the interstate.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker

Source?

Harrisracing

Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Are optics on combat handguns a common thing? Honest question, I've only seen them on competition, hunting, and tacticool guns.

I wouldn't say "common", but neither were plastic guns at one point. BUT, It is an option. I think Lasers are pretty common though. And if you put a laser on a glock frame you will notice that you can change it's location from shooting from a rest or grabbing it in different positions / left thumb push etc.

Last edited:

US Infidel

TRUST NO ONE
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 30, 2012
    Earth

I wasn't sure how the RMR would work at first. It works just like an Eotech. I'm glad I got it. Much faster acquisition with great accuracy. I'll probably put one on a G19 for EDC. Anyone that hasn't tried one really should. I didn't really like the Atom slide with the sight in front of the optic; just doesn't seem right. Never tried it, just my uneducated opinion. The sight works great on my PLASTIC gun ;). Only 800-900 rounds with it so far, but no issues with the sight or the hardware.

Last edited:

Harrisracing

Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Lafayette, LA

6/10 of this list are metal frames...no clue on production numbers of each in active duty to date. This is ONLY ACTIVE pistols currently in production. And as always COST is a driver and plastic is cheaper. If you look at the list overall including active frames surely metal will dominate because of advancements in polymer are pretty recent. Would love to see a Russian Bakelite glock copy though LOL.

In active service (some branches or limited roles)

Mk 25 Mod 0 (SIG P226 Mk25, 9x19mm) (Naval Special Warfare)
    M9A1 (Beretta 9x19mm) (USMC)
    MEU(SOC) pistol (.45 ACP) (MEU(SOC))
    Kimber ICQB (.45 ACP) (USMC MARSOC)
    Mk 23 Mod 0 (.45 ACP) (USSOCOM)
    SIG P229R DAK (.40 S&W) (USCG)
    M1911A1 (.45 ACP) (Army, Marines, USSOCOM)
    Heckler & Koch HK45C (.45 ACP) (Naval Special Warfare)
    Glock 19 (9x19mm) (USSOCOM, DEVGRU)
    Glock 22 (.40 S&W) (Delta Force)

Last edited:

olivs260

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 23, 2009
    Geismar, LA
    6/10 of this list are metal frames...no clue on production numbers of each in active duty to date. This is ONLY ACTIVE pistols currently in production. And as always COST is a driver and plastic is cheaper. If you look at the list overall including active frames surely metal will dominate because of advancements in polymer. Would love to see a Russian Bakelite glock copy though LOL.

In active service (some branches or limited roles)

Mk 25 Mod 0 (SIG P226 Mk25, 9x19mm) (Naval Special Warfare)
    M9A1 (Beretta 9x19mm) (USMC)
    MEU(SOC) pistol (.45 ACP) (MEU(SOC))
    Kimber ICQB (.45 ACP) (USMC MARSOC)
    Mk 23 Mod 0 (.45 ACP) (USSOCOM)
    SIG P229R DAK (.40 S&W) (USCG)
    M1911A1 (.45 ACP) (Army, Marines, USSOCOM)
    Heckler & Koch HK45C (.45 ACP) (Naval Special Warfare)
    Glock 19 (9x19mm) (USSOCOM, DEVGRU)
    Glock 22 (.40 S&W) (Delta Force)

What's your source for this?

Regardless, I'm seeing some Tier 1 groups that you list using Glocks. If it's good enough for CAG and DEVGRU it's good enough for me.

Harrisracing

Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    What's your source for this?

Regardless, I'm seeing some Tier 1 groups that you list using Glocks. If it's good enough for CAG and DEVGRU it's good enough for me.

Lots of sources as quoted on WIKIPEDIA. Knock yourself out digging around to check it.

I agree, that's why I own a bunch of them, But to answer the OP's question, I would get a Beretta (or Taurus), model 92xx of his choosing. There's always a place for a Glock (or 5), but I like shooting metal guns better to be honest. Maybe I wouldn't want to pack one in all my gear while carrying an M4 or an AK, but surely they are fun to range shoot and are good enough defense.

Another thing I noticed about the list. It is dominated by .45's! Hmmmm interesting.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom