Sight in distance

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jf837

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Slidell, LA
    Scott Jedlinski, the red dot dude, teaches a 10 yard zero for red dots on pistols. Great class, highly recommended.

Here is his explanation.

Old Bubba

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2013
    BRLA
    I sight almost all my handguns in at 25 yards. there is very little "rise" at shorter distances so you can hold dead on up to 25 yards. After 25 yards a 9mm starts to drop. At 50 yards you're about 1.5 inches low and then it gets worse from there.

AdvancedLaser

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 15, 2021
    Covington, Louisiana
    I sight almost all my handguns in at 25 yards. there is very little "rise" at shorter distances so you can hold dead on up to 25 yards. After 25 yards a 9mm starts to drop. At 50 yards you're about 1.5 inches low and then it gets worse from there.
    Be sure you are clear with specific statements like this. The uninformed will read it and then it becomes the only fact they know, and they repeat it, and it becomes gospel down the road. . Rounds start to drop yes, but will be completely affected by your zero distance, grain weight, and projectile speed. 115gr round at 50 will not be the same as 147gr round. A 2" barrel versus an 8" barrel will also change this.

Its better to put your specific load, barrel, and data into a ballistic computer and see drop versus zero distance.

Edit: Also, there is no such thing as "rise" of bullets. They can't defy gravity, or physics, because of their spin rate, or some mysterious force that the uninformed shooter thinks happen when the projectile exits the barrel. The moment they exit the barrel they are falling. They only rise because we make sight adjustments (technically barrel adjustments) that force the barrel skyward which causes the initial rise of the round before it begins its eventual fall. The same reason hunters who are not clear on zero processes will zero point of aim point of impact at 25, instead of a predetermined drop during zero, and cant figure out why they always miss or shoot high at 100yds on their deer.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom