Smart TVs

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pas Tout La

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 12, 2012
    Droite La
    I'm looking at getting a bigger TV for the living room and was wondering what's the word on smart TVs? Are they worth it, or should I just stick with a normal TV? I'm looking at the Vizio E-Series because of course they are cheaper and I'm not that concerned on having "the best" TV. It seems to stay tuned to kid shows for my little boy more than anything. It might seem weird to ask on a gun fourm, but I don't know jack about TVs and it looks like there are quite a few tech savvy people here. Not to mention I don't trust the salespeople at the store.

RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    I have a samsung 52" 1080p 120 Hz LCD HDTV. I like it. I'm not tech savvy when it comes to TVs though. But it gets the job done and the picture is amazing.

I'd look at BHPhoto to order your TV though. They are great people and won't screw you over.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    I have one of the higher end samsung smart tv's (7000 series 240hz 3d, only higher is the 8000 series which has the same specs but quad core instead of dual core). And it works for the most part. It's still easier to steam videos on my Apple TV from netflix. Sometimes when I use my tv's netflix it would freeze mid movie, and I don't think it's a bandwidth issue Bc I have the quicker of the cox cable services. My lg smart tv is fine, cheaper than the Samsung but has similar specs. That one streams fine but the remote takes some getting used to (think Nintendo wii).

au01st

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 18, 2014
    Alexandria, LA
    Do you currently use a Roku or other device to stream TV like Netflix, Hulu, etc? If so, the smart TV will basically eliminate that box.

Personally, I use a Boxee Box to stream media from my computer to my TV. I don't use Netflix or any paid service (I actually lived two years without cable and if it wasn't included in my rent I wouldn't pay for it now). Generally the "smart" version of a tV will run $60-$100 more on two identical models so if those paid services, along with Facebook and some other stuff, aren't important, save your money.

Armed Mage

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2013
    Lafayette
    Personally I find them a waste of money since hooking up my laptop or PS3 to my regular hdtv already can pretty much everything a smart tv can. YMMV.

Pas Tout La

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 12, 2012
    Droite La
    Do you currently use a Roku or other device to stream TV like Netflix, Hulu, etc? If so, the smart TV will basically eliminate that box.

Personally, I use a Boxee Box to stream media from my computer to my TV. I don't use Netflix or any paid service (I actually lived two years without cable and if it wasn't included in my rent I wouldn't pay for it now). Generally the "smart" version of a tV will run $60-$100 more on two identical models so if those paid services, along with Facebook and some other stuff, aren't important, save your money.

Don't have any of those and I don't Facebook. I would maybe be interested in one of the streaming services to watch a couple movies every so often. And I don't really have any shows that I'm addicted to that I just NEED to watch. I just thought it would be cool to stream a movie at a minute notice on a lazy Sunday. If I were to get a normal TV with the Roku box, would it still work with my Cox cable box or would I have to disconnect and reconnect the different boxes each time?

Thanks for all of the advice. Keep keep it coming!

au01st

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 18, 2014
    Alexandria, LA
    Any new TV is going to come with multiple HDMI inputs, usually 2-4. Are you running your cable box via coax or HDMI to the TV? The Roku and other boxes generally don't even have cable in/out (I think there are exceptions like the Google box that does cable pass thru and basically acts as your cable box without DVR).

You would not need to disconnect one of the Roku boxes, just switch inputs on your TV via a button like "source" or "input".

If being able to stream a movie at a moment's notice is important enough to justify the upfront $100 and subscription fees every month, then a Smart TV will suit you fine.

The other option is a "smart" DVD/Blu-Ray player in which you could access the apps in that device, but also play DVD's from Redbox, which will generally have newer releases than Netflix.

nolaradio

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Parts unknown
    If you're considering one of the add on boxes, I would strongly suggest one of the Roku boxes. I have two and love them. Tons of channels, official and private. Some of the private channels are the adult type but most are just channels developed by enthusiasts. Lots of free programming and also low cost programming. What you would spend on a month of cable service you can usually get a years worth of paid programming on the Roku. If you go that route, do a quick search for Roku private channels and you'll find some listings. Also check out http://thenowhereman.com/roku/

CBlack

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Covington, La
    I have a 7000 series Samsung as well and we love it. We use Amazon instant video and Netflix for movies and some TV shows. We use Pandora for radio.

Only complaint is it doesn't have the refresh rate of a plasma so football can be a little different.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    if you're using a box/laptop/gaming console for Netflix or Hulu, a smart tv essentially says "you don't need those anymore".

Thats about it. If you don't need it, dont intentionally seek that feature. (Consider that more than 1/3 of the country does use this feature in some capacity, and its growing... you may want it later)

Pas Tout La

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 12, 2012
    Droite La
    Our Vizio smart TV is great. Mainly bc the kids can access Netflix on it...and there are TONS of kids stuff on Netflix!

That is a huge selling point for me. I only have Nick Jr. and some of the Disney Jr. shows in the morning for my little man. I can only watch so much Bubble Guppies and Mickey Mouse. It would be nice to have a few more programs to pick from. I still haven't made a purchase yet but it will be very soon.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Sounds like you clearly do not need a SmartTv.

Get yourself a nice LCD(or LED :D ) and a Roku Box and you'll be just fine with more than enough options. If you have an Amazon Prime or Netflix account, even more options.
    But not necessary b/c the Amazon channel on the Roku Box offers PPV movies(& TV) before they are released on DVD and sometimes while in theaters.

Based off of your post though
    a SmartTv would be a waste of Money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    Most of the decent TVs these days are smart tvs. I didn't seek out a smart TV, but all the ones I looked at were internet capable. Even the cheap ones these days will run netflix.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Most of the decent TVs these days are smart tvs. I didn't seek out a smart TV, but all the ones I looked at were internet capable. Even the cheap ones these days will run netflix.

True but Streaming Boxes are still king when it comes to the software
    driving the Streaming Sites.

As mentioned earlier, the Netflix Software on Wii's, Xbox, Blu-Ray and DVD players
    is nothing compared to the options the Netflix Software offers on Roku.

rdm227

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 4, 2012
    Prairieville
    So here's my situation if yall could provide a recommendation. I have kids ranging from 6 weeks to 14. I hate paying for cable to only watch a few channels and like mentioned above I'm burnt out on Peppa Pig and Bubble Guppies. I mentioned canceling DirectTV and getting a Roku box to the family and they are concerned with missing their shows.

I don't have the money to buy a smart tv right now.

Here are some questions.
    1.Does the box stay current and up to date?

2. Are their ways of setting parental controls?

3. What is the biggest difference between the models? I don't want to buy the top one if it isn't needed.

Thanks for any input

JHenley17

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 21, 2013
    Prairieville
    True but Streaming Boxes are still king when it comes to the software
    driving the Streaming Sites.

As mentioned earlier, the Netflix Software on Wii's, Xbox, Blu-Ray and DVD players
    is nothing compared to the options the Netflix Software offers on Roku.
    If you have a tablet or smartphone, you can control Netflix on the TV through the device. You browse with your phone or tablet, hit play, and it pops up on the TV.

Sent from my truck doing 85 down the interstate.

swampfoxx

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2014
    Ponchatoula, LA
    I have a smart TV and can get almost anything, as it connects to my Wi-Fi router. It even has a browser, but it can't connect to ESPN3 because it can't stream QuickTime. I just set up a Roku for a friend who has an older TV that still works great. $30 for the ROKU 1 (it is $50 now). Still have to pay your Netflix or VUDU fees, but she can drop her cable box.

https://www.roku.com/

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Roku is the way to go especially for ESPN 3 or as it's called now (Watch ESPN)

You just can't go wrong with the Roku.

I haven't heard much about this Fire TV but apparently it has a Quad-Core processor?
    Having quad core could mean nothing if the software isn't seamless. Makes sense?

A Roku with Netflix and Amazon Prime provides WAY MORE TV than you'll ever watch.
    Look at all the channels you can add on the Roku; > http://www.roku.com/channels/#!browse/movies-and-tv/by-popular
    YOUTUBE! History Channel, A&E Original, Hulu+, FOX NOW, Disney Jr, Disney Channel, Pandora,
    CBS, CBS News, PBS, Fox News, BLAZE TV, NBC News, Sky News, CNBC, Fox Business,

I even watch Hunting and Fishing shows on there. Pursuit TV for one.

Most times when I'm home though, it's on Watch ESPN where I can choose ANY Sport
    including Live Games, Live races or just SportsCenter.

Also a TON of FULL GAME Replays at your disposal.

NFL Mobile can be added too for $2 a month I think?
    Same with HBO, Showtime etc etc.

Look through that link.....and that's just Roku Channels.

If you have an Amazon Prime or Netflix account.......way more TV than you'll ever watch.

If you're a big Sports Fan though, Live NFL games won't happen.
    Watch ESPN only broadcast Monday Night Football.
    College Games are Broadcast, most of them, including SEC Tv.
    Except for those Prime Time Games on Fox and CBS Sports.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    kjstang02
    Top Bottom