Special Forces Repel Taliban Attack

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Can any of you military folk tell me exactly what they were shooting at? They were shooting over the wall?!? Were they walking their fire in at targets a mile away? Is it possible that there was an adjacent building looking over that base? And if that were the case, why would our guys set up there?

Just wondering?

tim9lives

Tim9
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    New Orleans
    Can any of you military folk tell me exactly what they were shooting at? They were shooting over the wall?!? Were they walking their fire in at targets a mile away? Is it possible that there was an adjacent building looking over that base? And if that were the case, why would our guys set up there?

Just wondering?

I have no idea....other than my first guess was that they were firing on some targets up on a hill...or mountain. ??

It's a pretty mountainous part of the world.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA

Just wondering?

just because the target isn't in view of the camera doesn't mean that its not in view of the shooter. note that they were exchanging fire at a distance close enough for someone receiving fire to be carried in on foot....

seriously claustrophobic conditions there, ill say that.

Last edited:

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Can any of you military folk tell me exactly what they were shooting at?
    They were shooting over the wall?!? Were they walking their fire in at targets a mile away?
    Is it possible that there was an adjacent building looking over that base?
    And if that were the case, why would our guys set up there?

Just wondering?

Lots of questions there. They were likely there temporarily to resup on beans bullets and band-aids.
    No place in Afghan is completely secure. A ridge or cliff or Mtn top will always be over one of your shoulders.
    It's just the nature of the beast for most of that country.

What you're seeing is a typical Afghan Fire Fight involving a FOB.
    Distance is usually a few hundred meters or longer. They appear on ridges and cliffs etc. like gophers.
    Somewhere where they can pop up and take some shots at you and duck down for cover.
    What the FOB party was doing was more like suppressive fire. Keeping the enemy's head down
    with superior firepower while scoped weapons take the more accurate shots when available.
    This suppressive fire can also create some pause in the fight from the bad guys
    to give the FiSTers some time to call in support. (Air/Arty/Mortars) etc. and or a flanking team
    to close width and destroy.

seriously claustrophobic conditions there, ill say that.

Which brings up another great reason to KEEP ROUNDS DOWN RANGE!
    An RPG fired in the center of that JAM PACKED little area would have done some serious damage.

Last edited:

freedive10

-Global Mod-, Caballoloco
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Sep 17, 2008
    Mandeville
    Raw deal??!?!
    He brought his wife to his FOB. Not sure how Col Kurtz thought it would end up any other way. :confused:

Not his wife at the time. Sure it was a lapse in personal judgment but not in his mission. Sounds like not filling out paper work for the AK's, money to pay extra locals, and god know what else may have pisssed off the wrong pencil pusher. Drinking on the base? Really!? I hear that goes on all over Afghanistan. Sounds like he was getting the job done! Don't Special Ops guys operate differently than the rest of the military? Smells like another one of our ass kickers getting the shitty end of the stick. You got top brass praising him and high ranking government officials visiting his location. Sounds like he was heading in the right direction.

I don't know, I was not there and I don't know the details but if it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and sounds like a duck, ITS A F*%$in DUCK!!

Gonna buy the book and get his perspective.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    I can sort of relate to him and his men. Sort of I said....
    .... nothing like having a chick to bang and other qualities of life
    while your men have...well....each-other. :p

But we had an unconventional leader as well.
    One in whom we'd have gone to hell and back for.
    He was hard, we didn't like him all the time, (Especially making us hump miles every Friday....even once on the ship!!!
    but we respected the hell out of him for many reasons.
    For one, had we not humped every Friday on the way over too,
    we'd have died in Afghanistan. Mountainous Terrain(Elevation) is brutal.

Meet Lt. Col. Asad ‘Genghis’ Khan

Here's some of our story. (3 Parts)
    http://www.corpsstories.com/khan-01.htm

As you'll learn the sole Marine Killed from BLT 1/6 in 04', was a beast of a man.
    We went through Combat Leaders Course together and I was stuck sparing against him a few times.
    CPL Payne was a Giant.

Last edited:

Dave328

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jul 11, 2007
    Gretna
    Just to clarify I don't have the slightest problem with how he took care of biz! And in the interview I saw with he and his wife he laughed off and basically owned the "Col Kurtz" reference. Good for him. But the .mil machine ain't like it used to be, and he had to expect the eventual shitstorm that came his way.

Top Bottom