Speculation on What South Korea will do Next

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mjolnir

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Unification?
    Why would South Korea want 22 million peasants to cross their border seeking repatriation?

Why would China be seeking a "developed" country, (as a unified Korea would then be) on it's own border. It has none at present.
    The two largest countries are India and Russia, but Russia is cushioned by Mongolia and Khazakstan.

...........Just a thought.
    I hear you and I don't necessarily disagree with you but you forget one thing: they are the same people.

Mjolnir

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    South Korea, Israel, have experienced first hand the about face of the United States with regard to their being an ally of ours and that we are now a weenie Nation. We will not even defend ourselves much less protect our allies. Their big mistake was allying themselves with us to be under our protective umbrella. Now they realize they are on their own. They cannot count on us.

Folks, America has not won a war since WW2, and we barely won that one.
    We The People don't have any allies in the traditional sense of the word...

England (the British Crown)? Get real.... :rolleyes:
    Israel (Greater Khazaria)? Study the writings of their rabbis :hs:
    NATO (the Crowned Heads of EUrope)? Are you kidding me? :rolleyes:
    China? I doubt it. :rofl:
    Russia? Hmmm, there are factions that are BUT we are militarily surrounding them so I'd think they see OUR GOV'T as an ENEMY. :(

Our very form of gov't is a DIRECT THREAT to the leaders of the EU, Great Britain, China, Israel and large, powerful elements within Russia.

Mjolnir

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    This is an excerpt from an article from atimes.com. Interesting comments.

"Mission Impossible

There are four important points that make it clear that a North Korean submarine did not sink the South Korean corvette.

Fact 1: North Korean submarines are not stealthy enough to penetrate heavily guarded South Korean waters at night and remain undetected by the highly touted anti-submarine warfare units of the American and South Korean forces. A North Korean submarine would be unable to outmaneuver an awesome array of high-tech Aegis warships, identify the corvette Cheonan and then slice it in two with a torpedo before escaping unscathed, leaving no trace of its identity.

Fact 2: The sinking took place not in North Korean waters but well inside tightly guarded South Korean waters, where a slow-moving North Korean submarine would have great difficulty operating covertly and safely, unless it was equipped with AIP (air-independent propulsion) technology.

Fact 3: The disaster took place precisely in the waters where what the Pentagon has called "one of the world's largest simulated exercises" was underway. This war exercise, known as "Key Resolve/Foal Eagle" did not end on March 18 as was reported but actually ran from March 18 to April 30.

Fact 4: The Key Resolve/Foal Eagle exercise on the West Sea near the Northern Limit Line (NLL) was aimed at keeping a more watchful eye on North Korea as well as training for the destruction of weapons of mass destruction in the North. It involved scores of shiny, ultra-modern US and South Korean warships equipped with the latest technology.

Among the fleet were four Aegis ships: the USS Shiloh (CG-67), a 9,600-ton Ticonderoga class cruiser, the USS Curtis Wilbur (DDG-54), a 6,800-ton Arleigh Burke class guided-missile destroyer, the USS Lassen, a 9,200-ton Arleigh Burke class guided-missile destroyer and Sejong the Great, a 8,500-ton South Korean guided-missile destroyer.

The four surface ships are the most important assets of the two navies, and have multi-mission platforms capable of conducting various tasks, such as anti-submarine warfare. There is every likelihood that they were supported by nuclear-powered US submarines and a South Korean "Type 214" submarine that uses AIP technology.

The sinking of the Cheonan has made headlines around the world. If indeed it was a US accident, it is an embarrassing indictment of the accuracy of the expensive weapons systems of the US, the world's leading arms exporter. It has also cost the Americans credibility as the South's superpower guardian. Ironically, this has made North Korean-made weapons more attractive on the international market.

The South Koreans and the Americans charging the North Koreans with the sinking of the naval vessel in South Korean waters only highlights the poor performance of their expensive Aegis warships, as well as the futility of the US-South Korean joint war games and the US military presence in Korea.

Fact 5: Deputy Secretary of State James Steinberg said on March 30 that he doubted there was North Korean involvement in the sinking: "Obviously the full investigation needs to go forward. But to my knowledge, there's no reason to believe or to be concerned that that may have been the cause."

General Walter Sharp, US Forces Korea (USFK) commander, also saw no link between North Korea and the sinking. In an April 6 press conference, he said: "We, as Combined Forces Command and the ROK [Republic of Korea] Joint Chief of Staff, watch North Korea very closely every single day of the year and we continue to do that right now. And again, as this has been said, we see no unusual activity at this time."

No Motivation for Vengeance

There have been misplaced reports that the sinking was an act of retaliation for a naval skirmish in November last year "in which the North came off worse", as reported by the Times of London on April 22.

As a North Korean navy officer, Kim Gwang-il, recalled on North Korean television on Armed Forces Day, April 25: "[In that incident] a warship of our navy single-handedly faced up to several enemy warships, to guard the NLL... [The North's warship] inflicted merciless blows on them in a show of the might of the heroic Korean People's Army (KPA) Navy."

The first duty of the KPA is to prevent war while jealously safeguarding the territorial air, sea and land of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea, as this safeguards the peace and security of the Korean Peninsula.

The Korean People's Army Navy would not attack South Korean or American warships unless provoked, since these vessels carry innocent soldiers on the high seas. True, the KPA Navy would be justified in torpedoing a US Aegis ship or a nuclear-powered submarine if one were caught red-handed. But the KPA Navy would not stoop to infringing on South Korean waters to attack a South Korean ship at random, unless it had returned there after committing hostile acts against North Korea.

Friendly Fire

Seven facts indicate friendly fire as the most likely cause of the naval disaster. It may be no exaggeration to say that the South Korean president and his military leaders have shed crocodile tears over the dead South Korean sailors.

[1] A torpedo could have been launched from any of the American or South Korean warships or warplanes taking part in the Foal Eagle exercise alongside the hapless Cheonan.

[2] The four Aegis ships and most South Korean warships carry Mark 46 torpedoes, which have improved shallow-water performance for anti-submarine warfare and anti-ship operations.

[3] General Sharp had issued on March 4 a five-point safety message warning that "a single accident can undermine the training benefits you will receive during KR/FE '10. Remain vigilant and engaged."

It appears that Sharp's warning came true, and the US repeated the kind of friendly fire incident for which it is notorious in Iraq and Afghanistan.

[4] After the ship disaster happened on the night of March 26, Sharp promptly cut a visit to Washington to testify at Congress to fly back to Seoul, according to the March 30 edition of Kyonggi Ilbo.

[5] President Barack Obama then called his South Korean counterpart on April 1, ostensibly to express condolences over the ship disaster, but also to offer him the privilege of hosting the next nuclear security summit in 2012, as was reported by Joong Ang Ilbo on April 14.

[6] Obama made this offer one week before he and Russian President Dmitry Medvedev signed a nuclear arms reduction treaty in Prague, and two weeks before the 2010 nuclear security summit took place in Washington.

[7] When Obama announced his decision to select South Korea as host of the next major nuclear security summit in 2012, Agence France-Presse reported that "the announcement surprised many". Most observers presumed that Russia would lead the next meeting.

The most plausible explanation is that Obama offered South Korea the summit due to an overriding need to mollify otherwise possible South Korean resentment at the friendly fire sinking, while covering up the US's involvement in a friendly fire torpedo attack. Most probably, Sharp reported to Obama the potentially disastrous consequences of the public discovering the true nature of the incident. This would likely lead to a massive wave of anti-American sentiment and put Obama and South Korean President Lee Myung-bak in an extremely awkward situation.

Obama must have felt relieved at the South Korean president's ready acceptance of his offer of compensation. One article carried in the April 14 edition of Joong Ang Ilbo was headlined "Veep Biden Says LMB [Lee Myung-bak] Is Obama's Favorite Man". The comment was made by Biden on April 12, one day before the nuclear summit.

Sharp unexpectedly attended the April 3 funeral of a South Korean rescue diver, Han Ju Ho, who died while participating in the search for missing sailors from the corvette. Sharp was seen consoling the bereaved family in an unprecedented expression of sympathy.

Joong Ang Ilbo reported on April 27 that the South Korean government would deal strictly with rumors rampant on the Internet that a collision with a US nuclear submarine had caused the sinking.

The best solution is for the South Korean government team investigating the ship disaster to find an old mine responsible. It is easy to falsely accuse North Korea, but public pressure will mount for military reprisals against North Korea, which will promptly react by turning Seoul into a sea of fire in less than five minutes. North Korea would not flinch from using nuclear arms in the event of US involvement."

Mjolnir

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Mjolnir, giving aid and comfort to the enemy again.
    I think it's called THINKING. Try it sometimes. Were you aware of any of this? I wasn't. To be honest I never looked into it. I will spend an hour or so looking into intial reports to see where they align and where they diverge. It's called "doing my homework" or being vigilant as the Founding Fathers DEMANDED OF US as opposed to BLINDLY following... :rolleyes:

People such as yourself have nurtured the Enemy Within the Gates and you STILL don't recognize either. :squint:

Geardo

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 27, 2009
    Carencro
    I think it's called THINKING. Try it sometimes. Were you aware of any of this? I wasn't. To be honest I never looked into it. I will spend an hour or so looking into intial reports to see where they align and where they diverge. It's called "doing my homework" or being vigilant as the Founding Fathers DEMANDED OF US as opposed to BLINDLY following... :rolleyes:

People such as yourself have nurtured the Enemy Within the Gates and you STILL don't recognize either. :squint:

I did the research, and NONE of it comes to the conclusion you did. You are a member of the blame America 1st crowd.

Bayoupiper

New Curmudgeon
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Iowa, LA
    Only flaw I see is that IF a N. Korean sub DID torpedo that ship, NOBODY would have retaliated!

Certainly not the U.S., they would have to call President Obama first.

And by the same token, the U.S. would not have allowed S. Korea to retaliate.

But before I'd agree with the sub theory, I'd want to see the proof.

Mjolnir

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Dumb Comments...

I did the research, and NONE of it comes to the conclusion you did. You are a member of the blame America 1st crowd.
    You need to read for comprehension as you definitely LACK in that department.

I didn't draw ANY conclusions. So your stupid accusations apply only to your own self. :rolleyes:

Mjolnir

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    By Thine Own Tongue

All the evidence points to North Korea
    "ALL" evidence doesn't point anywhere, my friend. Do you know the particulars outlined in the article I posted? I already have the rense article from 2003/4 time frame.

From the rense article:

"A carrier is protected by a shield of 6 Aegis destroyers and nuclear attack submarines. An Aegis destroyer has an AN/SPY-1 high-capacity radar system that can track more than 100 targets at the same time. An Aegis can fire about 20 anti-missile missiles at the same time. Thus, a career force can track a total of 600 targets at a time and fire 120 anti-missile missiles at the same time. The anti-missile missiles have about 50% success under ideal conditions. In actual battle situations, the hit rate will be much lower and the best estimate is that the Aegis shield can intercept at most 55 incoming missiles."

Explain to us how the sub managed to evade US radar, fire and escape undetected. THAT, sir, has not been addressed in the Mainstream Media.

crawfish

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2009
    south of 90
    I can't see where either side would benefit from this attack. North Korea would be on a suicide mission, we don't want to attack a nuclear power who has a defense pact with China. :confused:

jimdana1942

oldtimer
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Sulphur, La.
    Our weenie American Govt. We're gonna let pip squeaks that have a few Nukes do any dam- thing they want to whenever they want to and we will not even call them a bad name.

That, my friends, will be the reason that WW3 will eventually start.

SirIsaacNewton

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    "ALL" evidence doesn't point anywhere, my friend. Do you know the particulars outlined in the article I posted? I already have the rense article from 2003/4 time frame.

From the rense article:

"A carrier is protected by a shield of 6 Aegis destroyers and nuclear attack submarines. An Aegis destroyer has an AN/SPY-1 high-capacity radar system that can track more than 100 targets at the same time. An Aegis can fire about 20 anti-missile missiles at the same time. Thus, a career force can track a total of 600 targets at a time and fire 120 anti-missile missiles at the same time. The anti-missile missiles have about 50% success under ideal conditions. In actual battle situations, the hit rate will be much lower and the best estimate is that the Aegis shield can intercept at most 55 incoming missiles."

Explain to us how the sub managed to evade US radar, fire and escape undetected. THAT, sir, has not been addressed in the Mainstream Media.

A few Questions ?

1) If in fact this was a result of friendly fire what would be the incentive to implicate a country with an unstable dictator as well as a failing economy? Why would we want to prod an already agitated and starving country?

2) If in fact North Korea was responsible and Kim Jong-il did in fact order the strike what would be his incentive? We could only respond in two ways. Either going to war or economic sanctions both of which wouldn't be favorable for N. Korea. What would be the advantage of going to war for N. Korea? If this was actually his intentions then why wouldn't he take credit for his actions? Especially considering the fact that if indeed N. Korea did sink the ship evidence would portray that fact?

3) The only other outcome would be more economic sanctions on N. Korea which considering N. Koreas fragile economic state wouldn't be favorable either.

4) Is it possible that an extremist upper echelon military advisor ordered this "Sum of all fears style" to accelerate an uprising or something?

My uneducated conclusions:

The N. Korea wasn't involved scenario and it was a result of friendly fire doesn't seem probable. I can't imagine what would be necessary for a successful coverup of this magnitude to take place. Just based on the fact that an entire ship, which ever was responsible for the friendly fire would have to be kept silent as well as every other ships crew who was aware of where the fire originated from and considering the article which explains the technologically advanced ships in the area this would be a large group of people.

Therefore I am leaning towards N. Korea being responsible. So I find myself trying to think like a dictator and see what possible positive outcome could come from sinking a S. Korean ship. I can't determine anything can someone establish motive for me. Thanks

Last edited:

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    A few Questions ?

1) If in fact this was a result of friendly fire what would be the incentive to implicate a country with an unstable dictator as well as a failing economy? Why would we want to prod an already agitated and starving country?

2) If in fact North Korea was responsible and Kim Jong-il did in fact order the strike what would be his incentive? We could only respond in two ways. Either going to war or economic sanctions both of which wouldn't be favorable for N. Korea. What would be the advantage of going to war for N. Korea? If this was actually his intentions then why wouldn't he take credit for his actions? Especially considering the fact that if indeed N. Korea did sink the ship evidence would portray that fact?

3) The only other outcome would be more economic sanctions on N. Korea which considering N. Koreas fragile economic state wouldn't be favorable either.

4) Is it possible that an extremist upper echelon military advisor ordered this "Sum of all fears style" to accelerate an uprising or something?

My uneducated conclusions:

The N. Korea wasn't involved scenario and it was a result of friendly fire doesn't seem probable. I can't imagine what would be necessary for a successful coverup of this magnitude to take place. Just based on the fact that an entire ship, which ever was responsible for the friendly fire would have to be kept silent as well as every other ships crew who was aware of where the fire originated from and considering the article which explains the technologically advanced ships in the area this would be a large group of people.

Therefore I am leaning towards N. Korea being responsible. So I find myself trying to think like a dictator and see what possible positive outcome could come from sinking a S. Korean ship.I can't determine anything can someone establish motive for me. Thanks

I'll take a stab at it: Kim Jong Il is f**king nuts. Or shall we say.."Ill".

crawfish

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2009
    south of 90
    I can't imagine what would be necessary for a successful coverup of this magnitude to take place. Just based on the fact that an entire ship, which ever was responsible for the friendly fire would have to be kept silent as well as every other ships crew who was aware of where the fire originated from and considering the article which explains the technologically advanced ships in the area this would be a large group of people.

The crew of the USS Liberty were sworn to silence and threatened with severe consequences. They stayed silent for over 30 years.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SSWEEEE
    Top Bottom