Speed camera story

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sgt z

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Hammond, LA
    Do you think that some cameras show a lack public safety? Not so much speed cameras but red light cameras. Either way isn't it surprising how many people break the law, then pressure politicians to get rid of the cameras because they can't not break the law or get the ticket fixed.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Do you think that some cameras show a lack public safety? Not so much speed cameras but red light cameras. Either way isn't it surprising how many people break the law, then pressure politicians to get rid of the cameras because they can't not break the law or get the ticket fixed.

they work for me. I slow down where I know the cameras are. The two I got, I paid. Both were when I was not paying atten tion and should have known better. I pay attention now.

sgt z

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Hammond, LA
    I don't understand about the cameras generating so much money but yet the police force can't afford to have an officer issue those citations. Cop issued citations i have noticed are very unpopular with politicians because the citations aggravate the constituents who call those politicians to get the fix in or just complain. Cops also can't issue all the citations in some locations safely I suppose because of the quantity of cars that would have to be stopped.

lamuskrat

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 20, 2010
    French Settlement, La
    What gets me is the automated ticket is generated and issued to a vehicle and not the driver. As an ex law enforcement officer this is not right. The vehicle makes no offense on its own, the operator does. To generate a ticket and issue to the registered owner is making him guilty of a crime if you will, he possibly didn't commit.

So how does one contest? The camera has a pic of the plate and the offense, but what do you do if you weren't the driver? Pay for someone elses offense. I thought this was America.

3axap

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Pensacola, FL
    I've gotten nailed by one camera in N.O. and paid the ticket. I was being stupid and driving too fast. A few months later I got a ticket for a car I don't even own. Whoever was reviewing the photographs misread the plate and didn't notice that the car in the picture didn't match the model or color of my car. Contesting these tickets requires you to either show up in person or to write up a spiel, provide documents and essentially prove your position. In my case, it still cost me 5 bucks to mail the damn letter explaining that they misread a photo.

What really gets me about these tickets is that they all state that they are for a non-moving violation. If I'm speeding, I'm moving! They don't go on your record either (according to the fine print). And, as stated before, paying them is an admission of guilt. So essentially, you admit that you committed a non-moving violation while moving too darn fast. I've learned to avoid parts of the city where these cameras are located.

/rant. :)

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    If a large percentage of drivers are getting speeding tickets then obviously the speed limit is set too low!

I still think there's a constitutionality issue w/ redlight cameras. An outside corporation should not be involved in processing tickets. Also, don't I have the right to face my accuser?

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    What gets me is the automated ticket is generated and issued to a vehicle and not the driver. As an ex law enforcement officer this is not right. The vehicle makes no offense on its own, the operator does. To generate a ticket and issue to the registered owner is making him guilty of a crime if you will, he possibly didn't commit.

So how does one contest? The camera has a pic of the plate and the offense, but what do you do if you weren't the driver? Pay for someone elses offense. I thought this was America.

Do your research before you make assumptions.

Duck Jenkins

Lone Wolf
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2010
    NO/LA Area
    That is funny. I think the speed/red light cameras are for making $$$$ under the guise of making the public safer. IF all the money generated by this programs (the city or county's portion) were put back in law enforcement budgets to be used to have officers work other traffic type programs, then I might change my mind.

gunz4me

Target Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 14, 2006
    Lafayette
    Sorry, but I only pay real tickets issues by REAL police officers, not Redflex cameras. I was kind of hoping they would report me to one of the credit bureaus so I could sue the City of Lafayette for releasing my private financial information to a third party without my consent, but none of my three tickets were reported. Go figure...

Top Bottom