Subcompact 9mm thoughts?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Better Carry Gun?

• Subcompact XD 9mm

Votes: 11 13.9%
    • Subcompact XDM 9mm

Votes: 12 15.2%
    • Glock 26

Votes: 56 70.9%

• Total voters

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    I have both a mp9c and an xd9sc, i think the mp carries a little better, but the xd is a very soft shooter. Just wish it was a little lighter. I carry the xd in an mtac very comfortably, and have a ctac for the mp.

MrLefty

Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Gonzales, LA
    I would take the M&P9c over the XD/XDm, and the Glock 26 over the M&P. That's just my personal preference, though.

I owned an M&P9c that I really wanted to love, but it was not to be. I hated the stock trigger on both of the M&Ps I've owned, and I didn't feel spending the money for APEX parts. Otherwise, it was a very reliable gun, and has some desirable features for a lefty like me; they just need to be better executed.

The M&P9c is an excellent size for concealed carry, IMO. I have a G19 which is a bit too big for me to carry everyday, and the M&P9c is sized in between the G19 and G26.

However, I like my G26 so much that I bought another one a little over a week ago. The few minor changes that I make to my Glocks can be done myself in a matter of minutes. Also, I can't argue with the $398.00 (before tax) I paid for each of my brand-new 26s at Baton Rouge Police Supplies with my GSSF membership. :cool:

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    I would take the M&P9c over the XD/XDm, and the Glock 26 over the M&P. That's just my personal preference, though.

I owned an M&P9c that I really wanted to love, but it was not to be. I hated the stock trigger on both of the M&Ps I've owned, and I didn't feel spending the money for APEX parts. Otherwise, it was a very reliable gun, and has some desirable features for a lefty like me; they just need to be better executed.

The M&P9c is an excellent size for concealed carry, IMO. I have a G19 which is a bit too big for me to carry everyday, and the M&P9c is sized in between the G19 and G26.

However, I like my G26 so much that I bought another one a little over a week ago. The few minor changes that I make to my Glocks can be done myself in a matter of minutes. Also, I can't argue with the $398.00 (before tax) I paid for each of my brand-new 26s at Baton Rouge Police Supplies with my GSSF membership. :cool:

GSSF prices went up $27 this year.

MrLefty

Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Gonzales, LA
    GSSF prices went up $27 this year.

Right, the GSSF price went up to $425 last year, but I paid $398 after the price increase almost a year ago, and I just paid $398 again a week or 2 ago at BRPS.

I've heard it mentioned somewhere that it's dependent on the type of dealer, and since BRPS is a LE distributor (can't remember the specific wording, but something to that effect) the price is still $398.

How true any of that is I have no idea. I just know what I paid. I wish someone could come along and clarify that, because I'm curious.

Tulse Luper

Besmirched!
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Metairie
    M&Pc

Contact the respected and feared Speedracer and ask him exactly what parts are in his (apex) and exactly what he did to it, then do the same.

We should have a Shoot Speedracer's carry gun meet.

nickatnite

Crybaby Hater...
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jun 27, 2007
    Prairieville, La
    Right, the GSSF price went up to $425 last year, but I paid $398 after the price increase almost a year ago, and I just paid $398 again a week or 2 ago at BRPS.

I've heard it mentioned somewhere that it's dependent on the type of dealer, and since BRPS is a LE distributor (can't remember the specific wording, but something to that effect) the price is still $398.

How true any of that is I have no idea. I just know what I paid. I wish someone could come along and clarify that, because I'm curious.

How many more did they have? I need to use my coupon from last year before I loose it.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker

They just sold you the gun at the LEO price.
    GSSF and LEO price is set by Glock.

MrLefty

Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Gonzales, LA
    How many more did they have? I need to use my coupon from last year before I loose it.

I have no idea. I bought another Gen 3 26, and the guy said they had just gotten "quite a bit" of those. They have at least one Gen 4 26 (the one on display), but that's about all I know, sorry.

They just sold you the gun at the LEO price.
    GSSF and LEO price is set by Glock.

Yeah, I don't know the politics behind it. All I know is that I'm a civilian GSSF member, and for some reason I get the LEO price there instead of the GSSF member price. The question is, why? I'm not complaining, since it saves me $27, but I am curious. :)

King of D Open
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 21, 2009
    Vieux Carre
    M&P 9c or G26, whichever feels better in your hand and shoots better for you.

I started with a G26 and migrate to the M&P 9c for the above reasons.

I have a G26, set up for CCW, Crimson Trace Laser Grip, XS Big Dot Tritium Sight, lots of +2 finger extension mags, and holsters for sale. PM me if you're interested.

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    While we're on THAT subject... what's this "dead trigger" business I keep reading about?????

First, Glock trigger springs... now, this. Makes me think I should have my head examined for even THINKING about straying from HK...:rolleyes:

This isn't directed at you, Sam. I just used your post to voice the question.;)

"Dead trigger"? This is the first i'm hearing about it. :confused:

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    Several threads about it on the M&P Forum. Several "explanations" are given, but most of the respondents are obvious nimrods and I would like to hear the thoughts of someone who has actually been inside one of these and worked with the parts in question; and has a clue ;). IOW, no clear consensus there.

But it does seem to be limited to aftermarket trigger parts, if that tells you anything.

Roger that. I'll have to read up on it. Indeed it's something important to note if that's the case.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Seems like a "tolerence stacking" issue, meaning several negative factors working together to cause it. Happens more frequently (though still rare) with aftermarket sears including S&W's own performance sear, but has happened with factory setups as well. Seems tweaking the trigger bar can eliminate it in most cases, but the "definitive" fix seems to be modifying the sear housing to accept the larger Mass. compliant sear plunger and spring. Apex does it for $25, though I may try doing it myself. I've never had the issue but I figure why not. FWIW, most people that have the issue have it immediately after installing the parts.

Steve...I don't even bother with mp-pistol.com for the reasons you mentioned. I get a lot of info from M4carbine.net or Randy Lee @ Apex, Bowie or Burwell directly.

moonshoxx

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    i have shot the Glock and the XD subcompact in 9mm. The xd is a little heavier but a lot easier on recoil. Dimensions are not significant enough to really discuss. I choose the XD simply based on the extra backstrap safety that also locks the slide unless depressed. With that said, I would not say you screwed up if you both either or the M&P. My personal feelings, and only my feelings, are to stay away from the keltec and other mouse guns. They just don't have the reliability track record of the other three.

Mexi_Can116

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    New Orleans Area
    NEITHER,

Glock 19 is the PERFECT size and compromise IMO, the smaller sub-compacts tend to be too bulky for me, I had the XD9SC and XD40SC and they both were just too thick on the slide not to mention felt recoil on them was too high, had a G26 but carried it VERY little so I really cant say good or bad and she was actually traded on an Xd9, but IF I was in the market for that I would get the 19and would carry spare G17 mags instead of 19's more fire power if you need to get the job done.

Just a thought.

What this guy says

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Demmickb
    Top Bottom