Tarnished or Corroded Ammo?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    I have some boxes of ammo that's tarnished or corroded and wanted to know if there's a way to tell if its safe to shoot?
    null_zpse7cd98d1.jpg

null_zps4cac6290.jpg

Ellis1958

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 9, 2009
    Port Allen, LA
    That stuff looks awesome compared to some of the stuff I have shot . Seriously .
    Thinking the same thing.

Pretty much if it ain't green with corrosion, carry on.

Found some of my fathers ammo stash from circa 1968 just last year or so. Buried in a box of family photos and stuff. No collectors items just ammo. Shot it all except the .50bmg and the .380. All of it went bang except for a few .22lr.

tallwalker

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Covington, LA
    I don't know... just thought it was curious for factory ammo and hoping somebody else would know. I bet they shoot just fine though. I'd sure load em up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

chbrow10

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 25, 2009
    Ocean Springs, MS
    They look terrible. I would not shoot them. Better off just sending them to me for disposal. :-)

My reloaded ammo gets those dimples on the primers when there is some powder flakes in the primer cup. The flake gets impressed on the primer cup when the primer is seated. Are you sure it's factory ammo?

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    The only time corrosion is going to be a problem is in the case of pitting-- and even then, quite frankly... It'd have to be pretty significant, and pretty specifically located (i.e. the web) for it to be a risk.

That stuff is loaded pretty gently. As others have pointed out, it's in very good condition considering the possibilities. The web of the 9mm is grossly overbuilt for the pressures, and from the looks of things, your tarnish is restricted mostly to the head (around the stamps) and not along the case walls. You're definitely GTG.

As to the dimpled primers--

It happens. Sometimes during their final sorting, sometimes during packaging, sometimes during transport, sometimes during... Well, you get the idea. The cup of those primers is of a moderate thickness/rigidity-- Federal being the softest/thinnest, and the Russian stuff being the toughest. I've seen worse dimples in loose-packed 5.56 rounds with no ill effect-- and they are notably more stout than your pistol rounds there.

Long story short-- I'd be super-shocked if even one of them failed to go bang, and at least from what we can see in the photos, you're more than safe to shoot them. Might have a slightly tangy aroma every now and then... but that's a bonus, not a negative.

Ivan

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 15, 2012
    Church Point, la
    Oh boy, that stuff look really dangerous to shoot. I could dispose of those for you if you would like, lol. Bud just shoot them up, and reload those. If they had some nasty green fuzz or crusty white primers or even heavy pitting, then id be worried about shooting them. They look fine to me and as others have stated too.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    I've got a .50 cal can I'm working on emptying that makes that stuff look freshly polished.
    I agree some of the 30-06 M2 ball i have shot was not so nice. some i tumbled first to see the real condition of the cases
    I had lots and lots of Katrina ammo that was still good 98% shot well and the rest was pulled down for bullets and the brass cleaned up

freedive10

-Global Mod-, Caballoloco
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Sep 17, 2008
    Mandeville
    You should see some of the stuff I shot in latin america! :twitch: No issues and that stuff looked BAD! Pre-Contra war ammo.

This stuff looks PRIMO!

Top Bottom