Tell me about 30-30’s?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    96   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    336 has been around for decades… best made 30-30… “jm” is made by the orginal marlin company before Remington bought them put and had quality issues… Remington have “rep” stamps…. Jm hold value and are more desirable… kinda like older colt revolvers and 1911’s….

Don’t care for top eject levers like Winchester…. Don’t care for Henry either…. Only reason they are 1/2 as popular as they are is because they took advantage of the void in the market in the marlin/ Remington transition and ruger/marlin transition… the new Ruger/Marlins are gaining a lot of traction….. Henry very clearly said for years how stupid and ugly the side load was on lever guns, now that’s all they produce along with a tube load feature…

Just my 2 pennys though lol

Barry J

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Thibodaux
    I have a Marlin that was gifted to me about 1970. It was my first rifle. Killed my first deer with it. It would take a bunch of cash to convince me to part with it. The older Marlins with the "micro grooved" barrel did not shoot cast bullets worth a crap. I have to use jacketed bullets. At least that is my experience. Hadn't shot it in years, need to get it out the safe.

T-boy

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    st. amant
    Here's my 30\30 story. My dad had a Marlin with no scope, probably early 70's model. When I hit my teens and started hunting, used some of my grass cutting money to buy a Redfield 3x9 for the rifle, and we both used it as necessary. Didn't kill my first deer with it, but I did kill several with it as a young man. Years later my wife threw me a bday party as I was turning 30 on June 30th. My dad showed up to the party with the 30\30 as my present! Been toting it in the woods again here lately and killed another deer with it last season. Like BarryJ said, it would have to be a good sized stack of bills......

simplepeddler

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 30, 2010
    Saint Amant
    Here's my 30\30 story. My dad had a Marlin with no scope, probably early 70's model. When I hit my teens and started hunting, used some of my grass cutting money to buy a Redfield 3x9 for the rifle, and we both used it as necessary. Didn't kill my first deer with it, but I did kill several with it as a young man. Years later my wife threw me a bday party as I was turning 30 on June 30th. My dad showed up to the party with the 30\30 as my present! Been toting it in the woods again here lately and killed another deer with it last season. Like BarryJ said, it would have to be a good sized stack of bills......
    GREAT story

Welldoya

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2013
    I like both Marlin and Winchester. The Marlin seems stronger and better to mount a scope but it’s heavier.
    The Winchester is the perfect woods-walking rifle, light and fast handling.
    I would look for either without the cross bolt safety.

hunt4570

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 4, 2013
    So the original question was "tell me about 30/30's " While I have an old Marlin which I prefer over the top eject Winchesters. My favorite 30/30's are a pair of Thompson Contenders! One is a 14" handgun configuration and the other is a 18" barrel carbine, both very accurate guns and easy to carry due to their size, nice out in the woods.. just my 2 cents.
    Here is the carbine in 30/30
    IMG_2984.JPG

Stonehenge

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2016
    Slaughter
    I got my 336 from walmart in 94-95 maybe? I was 12 or 13. Anyways its a JM stamped marlin. I've taken about 50 deer with it, the old tasco pronghorn 3x9x40 has only needed sighting in once after a fall out of my climbing stand.

I prefer to shoot hornady american white tails for anything under 150yds, lever evolutions farther out. They do too much destroy too much meat up close. Load an american whitetail first, lever evolutions after that, so if I need a long shot I can slide that first round out right quick.

Never had a deer go more than 30 yards, or need a second shot.

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    I used to hunt with a Win '94 AE. A short barreled Trapper model Tortured into accepting a scope. Never took a shot at a deer much over 35 yards.
    Remington Core Locked 165 gr got the job done.
    Crashes thru brush with aplomb.

James2003x

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2022
    Port Allen
    What’s the story on the 336? What does JM stamped mean?
    anything to look our for on the Marlin’s
    Other brands to consider?

Marlin made marling rifles till 2009 or 2010 then Remington bought the brand and starting producing. Anything produced before the Remington takeover is JM stamped. The first 6-12 months Remington had quality issues with the rifles so don’t buy anything within the first year of the takeover.

I prefer Marlin for the side gate load and eject. Vs the pic below the Winchester 30-30 (bottom) is a top eject so the scope is offset to the left. The top Marlin is a .35 rem caliber.

For Marlin they went from no safety to a cross bolt safety in 1980 so anything older will not have a manual safety.
    D897BCEF-DD11-447D-8BF9-13E65C6D55FB.jpeg

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Had a few 30-30 rifles in my family. I prefer the old ‘94 Winchester but they’re both great rifles. I never cared for a scoped lever gun. My favorite 30-30 and my first deer rifle is a Savage Springfield bolt action with box mag. We loaded pointed bullets for it with a slightly hotter charge and it was a formidable little rifle from the 60’s with a fine wire crosshair scope. That thing is still killing deer.

twentynine

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2013
    Ascension parish
    I own a Marlin 30-30 purchased from T. G. &Y in 1981. It does not have the cross bolt safety. Shoots great, when deer hunting, I carry it most of the time.
    Also own a Winchester 94, very light, easy to carry, but it stays home in the safe.

Top Bottom